• 2 Post By Hilux1983
  • 1 Post By Hilux1983
  • 1 Post By modmaster
  • 2 Post By flyinbrianbmx
  • 3 Post By modmaster

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

rear fender skin

Has anyone on the forum been able to remove the rear top fender skin off of the rear fender frame? I'd like to paint my rear fender a different color and I can't see why I have to remove the whole rear unit for that. I realize I will have to remove the tail light assembly but that's fine because I want to replace it anyways.

modmaster

2018 Rebel 500,custom solo seat,Delkevic exhaust,center stand,gear indicator,Triumph handlebars,shift peg adapter,aftermarket foot pegs,insulated bar ends,Hepko Becker backrest-fender rack,throttle lock,side stand ext.,red wheel stripes,National cycle sport screen,tank pads
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 01:10 AM

Garage

Check out Arches how to vid

2017 CMX 500
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much Showmeguy66. This is so helpful and exactly what I needed.

modmaster
Showmeguy66 likes this.

2018 Rebel 500,custom solo seat,Delkevic exhaust,center stand,gear indicator,Triumph handlebars,shift peg adapter,aftermarket foot pegs,insulated bar ends,Hepko Becker backrest-fender rack,throttle lock,side stand ext.,red wheel stripes,National cycle sport screen,tank pads
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:42 PM

If you just want to take the fender “skin” off, you don’t need to remove the whole fender as in the vid. The vid is good up until taking the “module of some sort off” that’s under the seat. Stop there. Unbolt the tail light assembly and let it hang. Remove the two bolts on top of the fender and then slowly peel the fender skin up and away. Tail light wiring is routed through a hole in the skin on the left side. Disconnect the light connectors and viola... fender skin is removed without having to remove the whole fender.
Kenny G and modmaster like this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:13 AM

..l
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A834AAD3-9176-4EF9-944D-37BDDA345500.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	29571  
modmaster likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Hilux1983 That makes it even easier to take the rear fender skin off for painting. Will you have to buy all new foam sticky pieces to get the fender to fit back on afterwards? How well did it fit back on for you?

modmaster
flyinbrianbmx likes this.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmaster View Post
Hilux1983 That makes it even easier to take the rear fender skin off for painting. Will you have to buy all new foam sticky pieces to get the fender to fit back on afterwards? How well did it fit back on for you?

modmaster
Foam sticky pieces? I've taken the fender off 4 times now and have never seen anything like this. Goes back together perfect every time.
Kenny G and Hilux1983 like this.

2016 Rebel 500 non ABS
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:24 AM

No need to replace anything.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

When I was looking at the parts fiche on Partzilla I saw some rubber pads that I thought were sticky tape to help hold the fender to the lower frame for the fender. Turns out they must just be soft foam pads to dampen the assembly. They were part 5 and part 15 on the picture.

modmaster

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page