4Likes
  • 1 Post By Josh Burden
  • 2 Post By Josh Burden
  • 1 Post By Chrisofthe401

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Need input on aftermarket headlight

Hello everyone!
I just bought my first bike, a Honda Rebel obviously, and I want to swap the factory headlight out for an aftermarket halo LED projector assembly. I would like some input as to what y'all think, and I would appreciate tips or advice...Here is what I am considering;

The headlight
https://www.amazon.com/Daymaker-Head...pSrc=srch&th=1

The headlight housing
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...L3BLSNBC&psc=1

I should start off by saying I was inspired to do this because of shortyg83's aftermarket install, and loved the way it looks on his bike. I do think, and as he suggests, that if he went with the 7" aftermarket headlight it would fit better and look better on the bike. So here I am trying to do the 7" install on my own bike.
I looked through the manual and online for exact dimensions of the stock headlight assembly but had no luck, so I measured it. I measured the headlight housing to be about 6.5 inches in diameter, while the inner headlight insert was about 5.5 inches in diameter. I understand I will probably have to do a little bit of modifying to get it where I want, but does anyone think this would be too big for a Rebel, or see something overtly wrong with my plans? I would completely remove all of the factory headlight components, including the housing and brackets, and try to work with just the items from the links above. I was thinking because the aftermarket headlight unit itself is compatible with H4 bulbs, it is merely .5 inches larger than the factory assembly, and the aftermarket headlight and bracket are compatible, that I just might have luck.
So I guess I am asking if
1. Will the aftermarket housing, bracket, and headlight will fit on the bike/ fit together?
2. Will the aftermarket parts be compatible with my bike (electronically... plug and play)?
3. Will I need any other parts for the job (gaskets, o rings, resistors, relays, etc.)?
Any help/advice/criticism is appreciated...Thanks!
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 12:18 AM

Garage
Welcome to forum n enjoy your ride
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 12:32 AM

Welcome to the forum. I also did the Halo LED swap looks like the same one your buying I think. https://m.imgur.com/gallery/U5royqw
Tree likes this.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Burden View Post
Welcome to the forum. I also did the Halo LED swap looks like the same one your buying I think. https://m.imgur.com/gallery/U5royqw
Yeah that looks great and I think it is the same LED headlight insert I am looking at... What size headlight did you buy? I assuming the 5&3/4" because you got it to fit into the factory headlight bracket/housing... Did you have to do any modifications to get it to fit? Did you need anything else for the job? What do you think about me getting the 7" version and the housing to go with it? Thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisofthe401 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Burden View Post
Yeah that looks great and I think it is the same LED headlight insert I am looking at... What size headlight did you buy? I assuming the 5&3/4" because you got it to fit into the factory headlight bracket/housing... Did you have to do any modifications to get it to fit? Did you need anything else for the job? What do you think about me getting the 7" version and the housing to go with it? Thanks
I thought the 7" looked to big for the bike when I ordered it so I returned it. So I got the 5 3/4" and put it in the stock housing. I used the larger bracket that holds the original headlight in then drilled and tapped screws into the new light using that bracket. I love how the original headlight assembly looks and really like it over a universal one that you clamp to the forks but to each their own. Paid $12 at harbor fright for the tap kit. Go with whatever you think looks best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180714_195655_1531710637893.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	24659  
Tree and Chrisofthe401 like this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Yeah now that I am thinking about it, the 7" would probably be too big. I think I will give the 5 3/4 a go, and also try to paint the silver part of the stock bucket housing black. My rebel is black and that silver ring is the only not black part... I do agree with you that the factory bucket looks good too...
I need to wait before I order it though because I just ordered a digital tachometer, gear indicator, other gear, and my bank needs to heal
Cheers
Kenny G likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page