Clutch-less Shifting - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Clutch-less Shifting

Obviously we all have to use the clutch at a stop, but beyond 1st gear-who all ditches the clutch? For those that clutch-less shift, how well does the Rebel respond? Up is generally a non-issue, does it unsettle much on the way down seems how there's no slipper?

When life throws you a curve, lean in.
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:27 PM

Garage
why would you want to? you're not trying to save time on the track with this bike...
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Why would you not want to?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:39 PM

Garage
cause i've been riding for 25 years and always used the clutch like i learned to. same as driving manual trans.
and you can call me crazy but i'd have to think eventually you're going to damage the transmission or something along the way.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
No, definitely not. Your car isn't sequential. Besides, a semi can do the same and that also defeats the argument.

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:48 PM

Garage
there's no argument i just don't understand why that's a 'thing'
but do what you want, your bike.
if your tallying votes for who ditches the clutch, then just put me down in the 'no' column and move on.
dollarbill181 likes this.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm definitely not tallying votes, I specifically asked for those that did have experience to respond. With that being said, there are definitely a lot of misconceptions out there and it's a public forum so people should definitely contribute. It doesn't hurt to discuss things when people shelve their emotions and take a few seconds to research things.

They literally make quick shift kits and auto-blip kits for this, they just aren't 'necessary' for anything other than not needing to move your wrist.

Mike likes this.

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Argument probably wasn't the right word, maybe theory or thought was. Either way, a sequential transmission doesn't require synchros like the manual in a car would because all of the gears are on the same shaft. With a semi, there are no synchros to deal with and floating the gears is just as simple once you've practiced a bit. It's definitely easier than double-clutching, especially when you're throwing 13-18 gears at a time.

Either way, MC Garage has a good video about it. I have personally never used a clutch outside of first for any length of time just because it's less unsettling to the bike. That, and it's fun and smooth. But I suppose someone could cause excessive wear or damage if they just tried ham-footing the shifter by holding too much pressure or holding pressure continuously.

And to be clear, I'm not trying to imply that there is anything wrong with using the clutch.

Mike and Tree like this.

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:22 AM

Garage
I've been riding for over 50 years and have mostly used the clutch from first to second, and then I rarely use the clutch after that unless I need to engine brake or do slow moving traffic work.

There are some views that it's "boy racer" and "speed shifting", but if you understand how a motorcycle gearbox works it's simply easier to shift that way and will not damage anything.

I wait until the engine sounds like it's at the shift point, blip off throttle for a second and simultaneously shift gear. And this is just normal riding, no rev head stuff, and it's just instinctive to me. Once you've taken the load off the gears (by the momentary retarding of the throttle) it's no different to shifting up and down with the engine off, in fact, probably easier.

WRT the Rebel, I find down shifts are OK if it'd done in the right rev range and the throttle is managed gently, I would down shift with clutch more than up though.

The physical speed shifter are a different thing, and I wouldn't consider one unless I was 40 or 50 years younger and doing track days.
Shaun, Mike and dyn085 like this.

Last edited by JimInOz; 04-19-2018 at 01:25 AM. Reason: clarification.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:27 AM

Garage
PS: There was a robust discussion on this some time ago, but I can't find the thread.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page