Wrecked CMX500 - Rebuild! - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Wrecked CMX500 - Rebuild!

Hi Everyone, We (my dad and I) brought a written off Rebel a month back, so during the rebuild process i figured i would post here for anyone interested.

We managed to get it for 2500 NZD (1800 USD) so we have a bit of room for new replacement parts+repairs. My Dad builds Vintage replica motorcycles for a living so the know how is all there, and we have various contacts in the motorbike world who will be performing frame/fork straightening for us. . we feel confident we can get it back on the road pretty quick smart.

here is the current damage as it stands

Bent frame
Bent Forks (Straightened)
Bent front axle (straightened)
Bent radiator
Bent/Dented Left rear Shock (straightened But new replacement ordered)
punctured thermostat housing
bent handle bars (oem replacement in hand)
totaled throttle grip assembly (oem replacement in hand)
Snapped right mirror (oem replacement in hand)
punctured front brake line
Bent swing arm
Bent rear mudguard brackets (straightened and repaired)
Dented Fuel tank
cracked headlight surround

this bike is actually for my Mum who is wanting to get back into riding, the 500 ticked all the boxes - low seat height, abs brakes, awesome handling, strong 500 motor. . and to top it off, Honda reliability. New they are 11k, if we can get this back on the road for less than 5 we will be happy campers! at this point that goal looks easily achievable (fingers crossed) especially with the insanely low cost of Honda replacement parts

Ill try keep this post updated, but it wont be a daily thing.

Take a look at the pics of how it stood at the warehouse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04273.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	899.9 KB
ID:	21561   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04269.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	713.3 KB
ID:	21569   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04270.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	653.4 KB
ID:	21577   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04271.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	629.1 KB
ID:	21585   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04272.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	884.2 KB
ID:	21593  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04268.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	669.9 KB
ID:	21601   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04274.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	641.0 KB
ID:	21609   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04277.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	621.4 KB
ID:	21617  
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:43 AM

Garage
It hurts to see a Rebel all broken up like that. Please keep us posted on your progress!

-CG
Busted! likes this.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:02 AM

It's merely a flesh wound. Rub some dirt on it, it'll be alright... Good luck with your build! Keep us updated with pics!
Busted! likes this.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:04 AM
Banned

Take some wider shots of each side and keep us posted, your list sounds bad but the damage looks fairly easy to fix if you have the time and tools. Good luck!
Busted! likes this.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Jesus, did someone throw that bike off a cliff?! Holy moly!
Ryan500, Odin and Busted! like this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 01:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko View Post
Jesus, did someone throw that bike off a cliff?! Holy moly!
I would venture a guess that most motorcycle wrecks that don't occur on a track or in a parking lot are pretty brutal and exposed to a lot of substantial forces.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When life throws you a curve, lean in.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 01:44 PM

Just curious, how much would it have been to buy a new one? Or possibly even a used one? It seems with the amount of damage the price would get pretty near those prices, after repairs.
In the USA if something is Salvage you actually have to get an additional inspection before it is allowed back on the road as well.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Just curious, how much would it have been to buy a new one? Or possibly even a used one? It seems with the amount of damage the price would get pretty near those prices, after repairs.
In the USA if something is Salvage you actually have to get an additional inspection before it is allowed back on the road as well.
Since his Dad is in the business of fixing vintage bikes, things that you and I would pay retail for are probably free or close to it.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I would venture a guess that most motorcycle wrecks that don't occur on a track or in a parking lot are pretty brutal and exposed to a lot of substantial forces.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yep! Car pulled out on the previous owner, from what i can tell it hit on the front, then kart-wheeled onto the right side then flipped again onto the left side. . Funnily enough the flimsy plastic indicators survived unscathed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
These bikes are Mega popular in NZ, Honda currently have a waiting list for second hand bikes so they aren't an option just yet. New they are 11,000. Second hand i would guess about 9,000? , at-least for a few years any way. Pricing it up we should be able to get it back on the road (including inspection and registration) for less than 5k. We work on it in the evenings so we can discount our time, and the tough work (straightening things) will be done by a good friend of ours who straightens motorbike frames for a living New parts are insanely cheap, we were shocked at some of the prices we were getting. So much so we are eventually going to order new inner fork tubes + a new left fork leg just for the sake of it.
Kenny G likes this.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Rebuilt forks - Oil type / Level?

So the forks are fully rebuilt, now im stuck trying to find the fork oil level/type (should have measured before i tipped it out!) i assumed the internet would have all my answers but it seems no one has made the service manual available yet. Might try and order one online.

In the mean time, Does any here have access to a service manual? if so, any chance you might be able to help me out here?

Cheers!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page