It's almost time to ride! - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

It's almost time to ride!

After over a month of waiting, staring at my pretty brand new Rebel 500 in the garage I'll be riding soon! My MSF class starts Friday and I can't wait! It's been like the night before Christmas for a month!

Sitting and staring at my bike for a month has led me to find some very interesting links and information for mods and riding in general. In my boredom here are all the things I've bought while waiting.

Upcoming purchases:
Future Security purchases
And I'm sure I'll be buying mods soon as well, but I want time to ride the bike and get a feel for what I want to do with it.

And also, because they are pretty effin sweet:
Lightmode
CGrazFL and longbeachgary like this.

Last edited by Techsniffer; 04-11-2018 at 12:41 PM.
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 10:07 PM

Garage
dude! i had never heard of light mode before. I'm kinda curious about them now, would make me feel like I was in TRON
dollarbill181 and Twizzian like this.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
dude! i had never heard of light mode before. I'm kinda curious about them now, would make me feel like I was in TRON
That's what happens when you have a hard core nerd looking for motorcycle mods and gear! And Tron was my EXACT thinking when I saw a promo video of a girl and her helmet lit up and also had it on the bike.. All I could think of was "Yes.... yes.. this too will be mine!"
dollarbill181 likes this.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 10:08 PM

Garage
Good luck in your class tomorrow.
Techsniffer likes this.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD) 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
Good luck in your class tomorrow.
Snow in the forecast Saturday night, not thrilled about that prospect on the day you have to take your tests.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
60 F today - I'm taking advantage of it

Twizzian likes this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 01:31 PM

Monday they said it would be 69 and partly sunny today. It is 50 and raining with 30's to follow. I feel like riding weather is never going to come. I should have moved to Texas while I was there visiting last week!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dollarbill181 likes this.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
60 F today - I'm taking advantage of it

The past 3 days here has been 60's through upper 70's, but today is class work, and Sat/Sun riding and the forecast is high 30's Saturday and about 32-38 on Sunday (Test day) after having snowed late Saturday night.

But I agree, feels like riding weather won't just stick around.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
The past 3 days here has been 60's through upper 70's, but today is class work, and Sat/Sun riding and the forecast is high 30's Saturday and about 32-38 on Sunday (Test day) after having snowed late Saturday night.

But I agree, feels like riding weather won't just stick around.
Ouch, felt like only Illinois was getting these bizarre highs and lows recently all in the same week.
Remember to dress warm w/ wind blocking material. 8 hours riding outdoors in those temps is no joke.

2017 Honda Rebel 300 ABS
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarbill181 View Post
Ouch, felt like only Illinois was getting these bizarre highs and lows recently all in the same week.
Remember to dress warm w/ wind blocking material. 8 hours riding outdoors in those temps is no joke.
First day riding: 40F and wind chill of 30F, today a nice thin covering of ice and a little snow on the ground with a high of 32F and wind chill of about 20F. So I have about 5-6 hours of really crappy conditions ahead today.

Here is my breakdown of the "Harley Davidson Riding Academy":

Cons:
1. The 45 minute to an hour sales pitch for all things Harley, they drag you around to every department in the dealership telling you how good their prices are and how high quality their gear and bikes are. In truth you can buy better gear for less money without the HD branding on it full stop. This felt like some high pressure timeshare sales pitch. And any time something non-Harley (or dealership) came up they shut it down quick!

2. IMO the Harley Davidson Street 500 is junk. Mainly this revolved around the tank, this thing feels about 4ft wide or enough space to serve dinner to a family for 6. This prevents you from bringing in your knees very far and prevents you from making stable low speed "friction zone" turns. This seems to be a common complaint amongst reviewers with many of the newer Harleys.

3. I'm sure this applies to every trainer bike ever but, The clutch and throttle control is garbage... the clutch is like 99% let out and nothing, then you go that extra 1% and full power. Same with the throttle, have to turn it over a 1/4 turn to get any response. I even had the instructor adjust the clutch, twice, and it only made another 1% difference.

4. New riders, prepare to be sore after the first day riding in your back, shoulders, wrists, and hands. I was a bit surprised at how much manual strength it takes to ride a motorcycle. Its not like lifting weights but after 6 hours of sub 20mph maneuvering and hours of very low speed cornering you really feel it after a while.

Pros:
1. The instructors are both current police motorcycle cops with about 50 years combined experience riding. And the course assistant is an older riding with about 40 years riding experience.

2. The Street 500 is a 500cc engine, so when you do want power to help correct a mistake it is there.

3. The course and documentation and 'habit forming' processes are great for new and old riders alike, it is very comprehensive.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page