Handle Bar Replacement - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By 01-7700
  • 1 Post By Lyoko
  • 1 Post By Twizzian

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Afternoon, all. I bought some replacement bars (same as stock) to replace the ones I bent (when I crashed because I’m a moron). How difficult of a process is it to replace?

Im concerned about how to get the grips off and then back on the new bars. Any tips for doing this job myself would be appreciated..
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
be aware that there is a small hole drilled in the handle bars on the underside to accept a small tab that is part of the grip assembly - it is easy to crush the tab if you don't know it's there and then your grips will not 'grip' the handlebar solidly
Lyoko likes this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Should be fairly easy, as most of it is just a matter of undoing bolts.
Your main issue might be the grip on the left side, as that one is glued stuck to the handlebar. So now might be a good time to change to some new ones? Will get the "same" issue on the throttle body thou, as it's glued stuck to that on the right side.
Kenny G likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko View Post
Should be fairly easy, as most of it is just a matter of undoing bolts.
Your main issue might be the grip on the left side, as that one is glued stuck to the handlebar. So now might be a good time to change to some new ones? Will get the "same" issue on the throttle body thou, as it's glued stuck to that on the right side.
Thanks man. So, a couple things:

Any recommended grips that would reduce hand numbness?

If I don’t get new ones, how do you get them separated from the bar? And is it just super glue to put it back on or some special glue?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
There are release agent sprays to remove grips, but I used WD 40 & a screwdriver to remove them so I could drill the steel inserts.
Kenny G likes this.

Twizz
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I haven't changed my grips yet as I haven't felt the need for it. But I suppose you would have to either go with someone bigger with more rubber, might help with it, or go with such foam covers that you can thread on the outside of the grips.

I've seen some videos of people removing old grips by simply using air pressure. Put the nozzle against the end of the grip (the grips has to be the "closed" type, it can't be open, otherwise the pressure won't do any good) and simply shoot air into it, forcing it to loosen from the handlebar. You should be able to do that with the stock ones, might have to make a little hole at the end for the air to flow through though.
Otherwise there are these release agents that Twizz speaks off. Just make sure to clean the grips really good afterwards, so that the grips will glue back on properly.

Edit: Forgot to say, I believe there is some sort of special glue designed for this, so I'm not sure if "anything goes" here. But if you do end up getting new grips, then most shops should be able to provide the glue needed for fastening them.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500

Last edited by Lyoko; 04-07-2018 at 05:23 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 11:36 PM

Garage
If you want fatter grips, the biltwell recoil grips are great. I put mine on about a month ago and the extra width in the center is super comfortable. As far as the glue goes, contact cement works great. It holds well but also stays a bit rubbery so you can clean it off next time you replace grips. From what I’ve seen anytime I’ve taken stock grips off, it looks like that is basically what they’re using. I didn’t end up needing any when I put my grips on anyway they fit nice and tight and don’t have any movement.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page