My first crash - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

I’ve been avoiding this site like the plague, but I figured I’d share this - I’ve crashed it.

I lucked out, though. I’m not hurt. I was going into a left hand curve on a two lane road. Going the speed limit. I noticed some gravel in the center of the lane and there was a car coming the opposite direction towards me, so I went to the outside of the lane. Well, apparently I was going too fast. I maintained control off the pavement and in the gravel on the narrow shoulder. I slowed down to about 15 (from 45) before I hit a little hump for someone’s driveway and went over. I landed in someone’s front yard. The bike was partially in the road and partially in the gravel/grass on its right side.

Bike held up okay though. Brake pedal is bent and needs replacing. Bars are bent and need replacing. Forks might be tweaked slightly. My brand new exhaust is scratched and dented (fuuuuuhhh). Other aesthetic stuff - headlight cover and mirrors are scratched. Front brake lever scratched. No scratches to the tank or body work though.

I feel like I’m going through the stages of grief. But I’m still in the anger phase. So pissed at myself for letting it happen. Pissed at the timing. It’ll be weeks before I can get it to the shop. Will miss most of the Spring riding probably. Insurance will probably go up. [any advice on insurance would be helpful. Is it worth making the claim? I’m assuming my rate will go up even though I was the only one involved...?]

And then there’s the mental part. The anxiety about riding again. I have a wife and two young daughters. I love my bike and love riding, but I’ll be honest - when I got home I hugged my wife and cried like a baby. She didn’t (because I kind of undersold it and my bike doesn’t look bad from a distance), but I did. I want to keep riding, but the longer it takes to get back on, the more anxious I’ll be about it.

I just figured I’d share/vent with you guys. This is my first bike and my first crash. It could’ve been much worse. I’ve definitely learned from it. But it has got me in a funk mentally, that’s for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3FA29140-719A-40BB-ADFD-A162EAA0F144_1522772209732.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	20178   Click image for larger version

Name:	16876638-9BE1-4EA7-BDAE-9B01DD47DB0A_1522772233899.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	20186  

Last edited by heymanitsdan; 04-03-2018 at 12:17 PM.
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Hey thanks for sharing your unfortunate event, as long as your ok & not injured, the bike can be fixed at anytime.
This is also a reminder & helps us all to be careful in any poor weather or road conditions no matter where we live.

My hat off to you for being so honest about your story.
Keep yer chin up mate
Fletch, Tree, pattytrue and 1 others like this.

Twizz
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
i'm glad you're ok - maybe this will teach you to slow down a bit

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:48 PM

Glad that you're okay man and that the damage to the bike is fairly minimal. Things can be replaced, although the timing is definitely a bummer with riding season finally around the corner. How long have you been riding for prior to this happening? Only a matter of time before the first spill.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 01:28 PM
Banned

Glad you're not hurt.

Insurance companies almost always raise rates after you make a claim, any claim. But they can drop back down in a few years if no more claims are made. As far as if it's worth it to make a claim I guess that would depend on what needs replacement and the cost for those items vs what your deductible is and what your rates might jump up to over the next year or so.

However, I would make a claim and take it to a shop and get everything checked out, it's easy to see and fix superficial issues but if you have bent your forks or frame it can make your bike very dangerous to ride and by making a claim it will ensure you get your bike back in perfect condition.

Last edited by Techsniffer; 04-03-2018 at 01:30 PM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 01:38 PM

Garage
DON'T YOU JUST HATE GRAVEL.....

I'm happy that you're OK. Now that you have your crash out of the way it's time to get back on. Just about everyone has done something (I wouldn't say stupid but unavoidable) that they regret on their bike. Mine was showing off and trying to skid to a stop - hit a crushed can and slid out. If I Were You I'd go through and figure out what I did wrong and visualize how not to do it again.

I wouldn't make a claim because you're right that your rates will skyrocket.
Kenny G and Tree like this.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 02:00 PM

That sucks man. I know how you feel, after I crashed my first bike I took a hiatus from riding for about 2 years.
But on the bright side I can almost guarantee you won't make that same mistake twice.

2017 Honda Rebel 300 ABS
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 02:02 PM

Glad to hear that you're okay and the damage to your bike isn't too bad. I too have crashed and getting over that mental hurdle to ride again was hard, but I took baby steps by taking my first ride after the crash around the neighborhood, then with someone else before I was confident enough to ride again by myself.

Some aesthetic damage you don't have to fix can be left alone so you can save some money. Gives it character. But things like the brake pedal and bar will need to be fixed.
Kenny G likes this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
Glad that you're okay man and that the damage to the bike is fairly minimal. Things can be replaced, although the timing is definitely a bummer with riding season finally around the corner. How long have you been riding for prior to this happening? Only a matter of time before the first spill.
Yeah, the Rebel is my first bike and I started riding in May of last year.

I cant get my bike into the shop until 4/17 and that’s just for the assessment. Who knows how long it’ll take them to fix it. Or the hit my wallet will take. I don’t think it’ll be a huge lift for them to do the work, but the dealer near me is the only one in a wide area, so they’re always busy.

I’ll definitely learn from this though. Still, I hope it’s not months before I can ride again.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 05:34 PM

First, glad you're ok.

Second, don't be afraid to get back on and keep riding.

Finally, just an observation / some advice. While I'm new as well (also got my Rebel 500 - first bike - last May), I recommend slowing to below the speed limit when entering a curve for 2 reasons.

1. You're supposed to gradually accelerate through a turn to increase traction and stability, so if you're already going the speed limit when entering the curve, you'll be speeding as you exit.

2. Being new, we aren't as quick and nimble with the reflexes and bike control as more veteran riders, so that extra "reduced speed" cushion gives us more time to react to a new situation.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page