Long distance riding - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Long distance riding

Anyone taken their bike out on long road trips yet? I’d love to hear feedback and advice on how the bike performed as well as tips and tricks!
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 01:46 AM

Yup, several day-long trips, with longest route of about 450km. The bike performed perfectly, on varying road conditions (from crappy rural roads to highways). My main complaints are that the shock absorbers are mediocre at best on bumpy roads, and that the fuel tank is too small.

My tips for such trips are:

* Plan your route with stops for food, water, rest and fuel. The Rebel's small fuel tank is a sore point, and you need to make sure you know where to fill up if your trip is longer than the tank's full capacity.
* Get some sort of luggage that suits your style and trip plan - I have an Ogio 25L tail bag which I absolutely love. It easily fits a day's worth of stuff and even a laptop.
* Practice your riding position on varying road conditions - Long rides put a lot of strain on lower back, wrists, thighs and ankles. I try to change my riding position according to road conditions, as well as body fatigue, so I get less tired over time (it's a work in progress).
* If you can, pack some basic tools, and at the very least, a puncture repair kit. I have a free towing service as part of my insurance, and since Israel is a small country, I'm not worried about getting stuck somewhere without help, but I think having some sort of an emergency plan for when things go wrong is important.
* Start small - Try scouting parts of your planned route, or routes with similar conditions, to get a feel for the bike and the road.

That's all I can think of at the moment. What kind of trip do you have in mind? How long is your planned route?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohararad View Post
Yup, several day-long trips, with longest route of about 450km. The bike performed perfectly, on varying road conditions (from crappy rural roads to highways). My main complaints are that the shock absorbers are mediocre at best on bumpy roads, and that the fuel tank is too small.

My tips for such trips are:

* Plan your route with stops for food, water, rest and fuel. The Rebel's small fuel tank is a sore point, and you need to make sure you know where to fill up if your trip is longer than the tank's full capacity.
* Get some sort of luggage that suits your style and trip plan - I have an Ogio 25L tail bag which I absolutely love. It easily fits a day's worth of stuff and even a laptop.
* Practice your riding position on varying road conditions - Long rides put a lot of strain on lower back, wrists, thighs and ankles. I try to change my riding position according to road conditions, as well as body fatigue, so I get less tired over time (it's a work in progress).
* If you can, pack some basic tools, and at the very least, a puncture repair kit. I have a free towing service as part of my insurance, and since Israel is a small country, I'm not worried about getting stuck somewhere without help, but I think having some sort of an emergency plan for when things go wrong is important.
* Start small - Try scouting parts of your planned route, or routes with similar conditions, to get a feel for the bike and the road.

That's all I can think of at the moment. What kind of trip do you have in mind? How long is your planned route?
I’m planning a trip that is around 300 miles so close to what you did. I appreciate the good tips I’ll be sure to use some of them!

As far as preforming at freeway speeds the engine didn’t feel strained or anything? I have the 500
Kenny G likes this.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 09:37 AM

I did a solo motorcycle trip with my Rebel 500, Belgium to Sweden and back. got a grand total of 3000km in 8 days I used oxford sidebags for the stuff I could need quickly (water, rainclothings, extra gassoline). All the other stuff like a tent and clothing I placed in my big roll bag!
These are the things I missed because of my poor lack of planning, and what I am now in fact buying for my next trip to TsjechiŽ with a detour around the Swiss and Italian alps:

Givi outback topcase 58 liters: nothing as good as being able to easily reach some stuff and not having to worry about cords comming lose.

Dart flyscreen classic: On the highway, certainly at 120hm/h you get a constant pushing on your chest that makes a little difference in how much you can breath in. I noticed (thanks to my medical equipment I used a few days after my holliday) that my oxygen levels lowered a lot after 2 hours of driving because of this. This is why I was feeling light in the head after 2 hours of highway speed trough Germany.

Chain lube is also very important.. You have to grease the chain every 1000km, so do the math.

I'm also gonna bay a smaller roll bag because If you can't fill it all the way up, and you roll i further down, the fixations for the ropes tend to be more on one side. This causes the bike to steer for itself.

A very small tankbag is also very interesting if you are going to cross borders. I have to take of my gloves and open up my rainsuit an motorcycle jacket to then get my wallet and show my ID. with a tankbag you can just open it up with your gloves still on. This is not a necessity but it gives you less stress because there are a lot of other vehicles waiting behind you
FLrebel likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 08:39 PM

Garage
Just did 978 miles in 5 days. My back hurts. Plenty of power to cruise at 80mph but I personally like to cruise at 74mph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180625_170926382_HDR.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	24243   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180621_202123_507.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	24245   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180621224145_IMG_3225.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	718.5 KB
ID:	24247   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180621090415_IMG_3223.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	24249  

2018 Rebel 500 ABS
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 10:30 AM

Seat comfort

How are you all doing these long trips with a stock seat? For me, after a couple of hours riding, it becomes very uncomfortable. I did about 300 miles this weekend, and i barely made it. The biggest problem seems to be the seat and then the legs start hurting a bit too (I am 6", so maybe that's why).
Kenny G likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmmm View Post
How are you all doing these long trips with a stock seat? For me, after a couple of hours riding, it becomes very uncomfortable. I did about 300 miles this weekend, and i barely made it. The biggest problem seems to be the seat and then the legs start hurting a bit too (I am 6", so maybe that's why).
The back is the killer for me.

The longest I've been on my bike without getting off is around 90 minutes, and my back was killing me toward the end... but it was a group charity ride, so I didn't want to pull over/stop and take a break.
Kenny G likes this.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 11:27 AM

Garage
Don't know, at 185cm height and with original seat, made several 500- 600 km day trips, longest day in saddle lasts 700kms; also made couple 1500kms multiday trips... Did it hurts? Ok, would lie if would say no, but pains on back was manageabe (here helps a lot need for refuelling every 250kms or so), but as for legs, surprisingly nothing...
As for this year, since I experimented with adding thickness (little bit on fail side here) is a little worse, but still would go for up to 1000kms a day ride in an blink of the eye.
I could say that worst bike in seat (dis)comfort was BMW F650 Dakar. There was after inital two hours into ride, need for stopping every half hour or so (due for legs and back pains), so you can imagine, how tortourous was multiday trips with that bike. Best bike for touring was, surprisingly, Yamaha Virago 250 (it is also pretty agile, considering chopperish concept of bike), after little modding- mostly straight handlebar. I should mention that before Yamaha my bike was BMW R1150RS, nice bike but for long distance riding, have mixed emotions- due sporty ergonomics, not very nice for arms and neck, especially on alpine passes...
Defintely this is only my oppinion, and this may not work for you, as we are different, and for that reason there is many bikes out there, jus you need to find one which fits you the most. But in general, bikes are torture devices, and there is not much to do about that
Kenny G likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 12:07 PM

Just a heads up for anyone wearing a 3/4 helmet or 1/2 helmet and planning on doing a long ride...wear ear plugs!
I thought the idea of ear plugs was rubbish...till I did a day trip. Ears have been aching a week after. Strong proponent of ear protection now.

Windshield helps with neck and shoulder aches also for long trips.

2017 Honda Rebel 300 ABS
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 02:06 PM

Garage
Since coming from heavy industry (steel cold rolling mill plant), for more than 30 years, all without any ear protection, I'm not fan of putting anything into my ears during rides. And if you take in acount that my loss of hearing ability in all this years is less than 10% (and at my job is really loud; and in last ten years I also scored around 100000 kms with bikes). Sometimes, comes from job and going riding, have filling how quiet is under helmet.
But with Rebel, I have other issue- since bike is equipped with original windshield, riding with jet helmet is not nice- at higher speeds, wind wants to pull helmet off of my head, this isn't happen with any other bike I have, so for longer rides, full face is my solution on Rebel (or getting bigger screen?)
Kenny G likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page