Contemplating trading old 250 for a 300 or 500 but have questions - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Contemplating trading old 250 for a 300 or 500 but have questions

I have a 2015 Honda Rebel 250. It gets buzzy at top speed and doesn't go faster than 70 basically. I am height challenged and sadly heavy in the weight. I am 5'3" and short inseam. I am contemplating trading for a Rebel 300 or 500. The weight increase between the two bother me some. I had a Suzuki S50 for a while and got rid of it back to the Rebel 250 due to size and weight.

I noticed sitting on a 300 and 500 in a showroom that I am only able to put tips of both feet basically on the ground now on both sides whee with my 250 I am able to flat foot on both sides. Should I be concerned on this?

No one can tell me how the 300 does on highway speeds. Where I am at in KS one highway has a speed limit of 75 MPH and I am not sure how well a 300 would do on that for 25 mile ride.

I have been told that there are no Paddock Stands available to work with the new Rebels. That has me concerned for doing maintenance etc. .

Seems like a big chunk of money to go up to the 500, not sure on ABS either.

The main reason for 2 wheels for me is to keep my skills honed from my MSF class and enjoy a ride. I also on a 2015 Can-Am Spyder RT-Limited. That my wife and I ride together.

I am also 57 years old now.

I wish there were more 3rd party stuff out for these too and right now there isn't. Hard to find things like windshields etc.

I do wish like other have said that it had a gearbox indicator like the Spyder has. Oh well on that one.

Thanks for all your help to who ever responds to this inquiry!
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
I have a 2015 Honda Rebel 250. It gets buzzy at top speed and doesn't go faster than 70 basically. I am height challenged and sadly heavy in the weight. I am 5'3" and short inseam. I am contemplating trading for a Rebel 300 or 500. The weight increase between the two bother me some. I had a Suzuki S50 for a while and got rid of it back to the Rebel 250 due to size and weight.

I noticed sitting on a 300 and 500 in a showroom that I am only able to put tips of both feet basically on the ground now on both sides whee with my 250 I am able to flat foot on both sides. Should I be concerned on this?

No one can tell me how the 300 does on highway speeds. Where I am at in KS one highway has a speed limit of 75 MPH and I am not sure how well a 300 would do on that for 25 mile ride.

I have been told that there are no Paddock Stands available to work with the new Rebels. That has me concerned for doing maintenance etc. .

The main reason for 2 wheels for me is to keep my skills honed from my MSF class and enjoy a ride. I also on a 2015 Can-Am Spyder RT-Limited. That my wife and I ride together.

I wish there were more 3rd party stuff out for these too and right now there isn't. Hard to find things like windshields etc.

I do wish like other have said that it had a gearbox indicator like the Spyder has. Oh well on that one.

Thanks for all your help to who ever responds to this inquiry!

I put a gear indicator on mine. I like it
Kenny G likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:

I was worried about the weight at first. But the bike is so well balanced you really won't notice the weight of the 500. As far as feet touching the ground, on all my old bikes before the rebel I could not touch both feet flat on the ground with the bike straight up. It doesn't cause much of an issue, at stop lights just pick a way to slightly lean and be flat on on at least one foot.

Quote:

As far as highway speeds go, the 300 will be only slightly better than the 250 you have. And if you think your current bike is "Buzzy" then be prepared to hate the 300. It is a single cylinder bike and will buzz and vibrate quite a bit.
Quote:

I read a few people used the harbor freight stand for the bike. And others have made some mods to other brand stands to make them work.

Quote:

The price difference seems like a lot with the only difference being an engine. But in my opinion it is worth it. The 500 has much more horse power and torque, and is and the twin engine makes the ride much smoother. I went with ABS for the added safety.

Quote:

There are actually tons of 3rd party stuff out there for this bike. Many universal items will fit the bike. There may not be a ton of items made specifically for this bike, but there are a large amount of items that will fit.

Quote:

Many people added one, it can be added pretty cheaply from ebay.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your response.

I had forgotten to add that my short arms and handle bars for me seem to be more of a reach then my buckhorn handlebars on my current 250 Rebel. The dealer I talked to said they could loosen and rotate the handlebars some to get them to come back a little bit more. Not sure that is or will work but that was another area of concern for me.

I can't change "Genetics" I got what the Good Lord Gave me, I just want to feel safe and comfortable and IN CONTROL of what ever bike I ride. I just have heard that mechanically there is so many good improvements over the 250 that I should consider updating.

Thank you again for your input and help!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 05:16 PM

Hi, I am 5'0" and I can flat foot the rebel 500. Are you sure you didn't sit on the CBR accidentally?
I have no problems with the weight probably because I was used to a bike that weighed 10 kg more. It's not like I will ever have to pick it up because it handles like a dream and is therefore practically "undroppable".

My arms are 54cm short (shoulder to wrist) and turning back the handlebars made a big difference but I still lean slightly forward when riding.
Having water cooling is great when it is hot. I never want an air cooled bike again.

I don't think there is another bike that has such a low seat height, low weight and handles as nice.
Rebelution likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 06:11 PM

Garage
I don't think that going from the 250 to the 300 will get you anything except lighter in the wallet. The 500 on the other hand is a nice upgrade.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondora View Post
Hi, I am 5'0" and I can flat foot the rebel 500. Are you sure you didn't sit on the CBR accidentally?
I have no problems with the weight probably because I was used to a bike that weighed 10 kg more. It's not like I will ever have to pick it up because it handles like a dream and is therefore practically "undroppable".

My arms are 54cm short (shoulder to wrist) and turning back the handlebars made a big difference but I still lean slightly forward when riding.
Having water cooling is great when it is hot. I never want an air cooled bike again.

I don't think there is another bike that has such a low seat height, low weight and handles as nice.
Hello and thank you for your comments. Had to laugh cause the U.S.A. NEVER coverted to metric so your numbers didn't mean much but got the "idea" from your comments. Someone else on this form said there was place that sold new handlebars that are 1" and had a place for the instrumentation to sit. She said I think it moved the handle bars back 1 inch. Or something like that. Anyway it's one dealer who told me they'd loosen the bar and rotate it and it would help me out.

Yeah, if I lean the bike slightly to the left or right just off center I can flat foot it, now I wasn't wearing the shoes I normally wear when riding but....I did notice the difference between the 250 Rebel and both the 500 and 300 I sat on in the showroom.

They say trade I might get $2300 for my 2015 Rebel 250. Still compared to the 500 ABS it's a huge chunk of money to come up with to make the switch.

I would hope I never would drop it, as it's expensive to fix and hard at times to get it back upright. I sadly had my old Suzuki S50 Boulevard tip over on me in my own garage. I had gotten off of it and didn't realize that my kickstand wasn't fully deployed. It was like watching slow motion. I stupidly tried to catch it and "SAVE" it but it threw me to the ground and messed up my knee for a while. Cost $$$ to replace a bent foot peg and 2 turn signals. I didn't worry about the scratched chrome on the exhaust. I ended up trading down to the Rebel 250. I laugh cause now I am contemplating at Rebel 500ABS but anyway- thanks for your help!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
I don't think that going from the 250 to the 300 will get you anything except lighter in the wallet. The 500 on the other hand is a nice upgrade.
I think you are probably correct in that viewpoint. I guess if I went to the 500 and it didn't work out I could sell it or donate it to a MSF class but don't think they'd take it due to being a 500. A 300 maybe and a 250 Definitely.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 01:40 PM

I have a 300 that does great around town and can cruise 25+ mile stints at 70-80 mph no problem, though if that's the main concern you'd be better off getting the 500. The 300 is near its limit at 80mph depending on the wind.

I'm 5'10" and my older brother 5'4". He prefers the feel of the older rebels and V-stars because he's on the balls of his feet on my bike. Get whatever fits you best.

2017 Honda Rebel 300 ABS
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
Agreed. When I rode the 300, it felt EXACTLY like the old 250 with its very limited thrust. Also felt like a Grom. The only thing you'll be getting with your money is a change in looks. The powerplant feels exactly the same to me.

The 500 is pu;re love for me. If it's really too tall, lowering it should be very easy. You could probably just cut the springs on the rear shocks. You'll need to adjust your kickstand if you lower it to compensate so it parks in a stable fashion.

Just get taller boots, like platform boots if they're called for.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page