passenger for new biker - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

passenger for new biker

Hello all,

Hope those who can ride are taking full advantage and staying safe. Quick question, I was hoping some experienced riders can make use of that said experience and help me with. How long did you ride before trying to ride with a passenger? I've been meaning to install the backseat for some time. Not sure I still feel comfortable with that? How different is it with a passenger? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 06:55 PM
Banned

You need to educate any passenger before letting them on your bike, they need to understand how to move/lean with you. Personally I would wait until you feel very comfortable on your bike and know how it starts, stops, and overall performance so you can best understand what an extra 100+ lbs means when you have to adjust. I intentionally did not buy the rear seat as I don't want someone riding with me at all for at least 2+ seasons.

A few things to remember:
  1. They need safety gear also
  2. The bike takes longer to get up to speed
  3. The bike takes longer to stop
  4. Make sure they know how and where to hold on to you as to not inadvertently cause an accident
01-7700, hammad.khan and Odin like this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 08:38 PM

Garage
that pretty much sums it up. make sure to explain everything before you even get on the bike. especially about leaning when you lean etc.. no sudden movements, that sort of thing. and make sure they never take their feet off the pegs.
lastly even though they could potentially hold onto that 'strap' of the back seat, i tell everyone hands around my waist at all times, that way i KNOW for sure they're still sitting on the back.
It definitely takes longer to stop, so be prepared for that.
Kenny G and hammad.khan like this.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 09:11 PM

I rode for at least one year, if not two, before I felt comfortable having someone on the back. I echo what’s already been said about how the whole riding experience changes.
hammad.khan likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:22 AM

It's not a matter of how long you've riden solo. Adding live weight is almost an entirely different feel. You can start practicing NOW

Get a back seat installed.
Buy a 25lb bag of soil* and strap it to said back seat, practice riding. Once comfortable with the added weight
Buy a 50lb bag of soil, and practice.
Then stack the bags until you're more proficient with dead weights.
Keep adding weights until it equals a person and practice practice practice
When you're ready for live weights, start slow again and make sure the passenger knows the procedure of riding two-up

*soil because in case of a spill it's lesser of a chance to give another rider a messed up day like sand or rice, also it washes off the road easier
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 01:17 AM

Try to avoid having a passenger who is heavier than yourself.
hammad.khan likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan500 View Post
It's not a matter of how long you've riden solo. Adding live weight is almost an entirely different feel. You can start practicing NOW
Being comfortable on your bike is important, so kind of important. Also, someone 2 days out of their MSF course probably not the best person to take out a passenger.

Quote:
Buy a 25lb bag of soil and strap it to said back seat, practice riding. Once comfortable with the added weight
I can't convey how bad of an idea this is, especially "stacking bags". Not to mention the last thing you should ever strap to your bike is weight that can easily shift, I mean that's just common sense. Dead weight is nothing like a live person.

In reality if you want to practice, you and your passenger need to meet up in an area with no traffic (IE empty parking lot etc) and practice starts and stops and slow speed turns and higher speed turns if space allows for that safely.
01-7700 and hammad.khan like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:

Get a back seat installed.
Buy a 25lb bag of soil* and strap it to said back seat, practice riding. Once comfortable with the added weight
Keep adding weights until it equals a person and practice practice practice
When you're ready for live weights, start slow again and make sure the passenger knows the procedure of riding two-up

*soil because in case of a spill it's lesser of a chance to give another rider a messed up day like sand or rice, also it washes off the road easier
I have to agree this is a very bad idea.
hammad.khan and Techsniffer like this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
Being comfortable on your bike is important, so kind of important. Also, someone 2 days out of their MSF course probably not the best person to take out a passenger.

I can't convey how bad of an idea this is, especially "stacking bags". Not to mention the last thing you should ever strap to your bike is weight that can easily shift, I mean that's just common sense. Dead weight is nothing like a live person.

In reality if you want to practice, you and your passenger need to meet up in an area with no traffic (IE empty parking lot etc) and practice starts and stops and slow speed turns and higher speed turns if space allows for that safely.
I may have jumped the gun before really clarifying. Of course you have to have decent solo riding experience before attempting two-up, common sense. The dead weight was meant for the rider to get the feel of what added weight does to acceleration, deceleration, braking distance, throttle controls, and mostly linear movement. It's completely different cornering with a live weight so one should definitely start slow with the live passenger who also know the basic mechanics of shifting weight.

Using dead weight was my short and temporary foray into introducing weight to feel the bike before I was comfortable two-up'ing my girlfriend. I want to emphasize this is only to get a 'feel' for the bike and NOT RIDING IN TRAFFIC. Practice with dead weight in a parking lot or field. If anyone wants to throw a live person in the back with no idea of what additional weight feels like then by all means go ahead.
hammad.khan likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
I may have jumped the gun before really clarifying. Of course you have to have decent solo riding experience before attempting two-up, common sense. The dead weight was meant for the rider to get the feel of what added weight does to acceleration, deceleration, braking distance, throttle controls, and mostly linear movement. It's completely different cornering with a live weight so one should definitely start slow with the live passenger who also know the basic mechanics of shifting weight.

Using dead weight was my short and temporary foray into introducing weight to feel the bike before I was comfortable two-up'ing my girlfriend. I want to emphasize this is only to get a 'feel' for the bike and NOT RIDING IN TRAFFIC. Practice with dead weight in a parking lot or field. If anyone wants to throw a live person in the back with no idea of what additional weight feels like then by all means go ahead.
Again I have to stress that adding even 50lbs of dead weight to your bike is wildly unsafe unless you happen to have large saddlebags to properly distribute the weight, and even then it's likely way too much for them and they still may shift. And even if you somehow managed to get 50lbs of weight added it's still nowhere close to a passenger.

The best way to learn is as I already described, teach your passenger the basic mechanics of holding on and moving with the driver then practicing in a safe no traffic area until you feel comfortable with the way the bike handles. And practicing in a field is probably not the place to try and learn as grass, mud, dirt, and uneven ground aren't very conducive to productive learning environment.
01-7700 and hammad.khan like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page