Rebel 500 Death Wobble? Shimmy Shake? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Rebel 500 Death Wobble? Shimmy Shake?

When I let go of the handlebars, and ride "no hands", the front end will gradually begin shimmying, getting worse and worse, until it gets crazy scary. I should try to get video of it, but it's insane. Letting go of the bars is downright scary on this thing.

I realize you're supposed to ride with both hands on the bars, but to test how balanced and aligned everything is, I always thought a bike that went straight and rode with no-hands easily, was a good sign. My other bikes, I can ride no-hands for days. Set the cruise and lean back, no ill effects at all. This Rebel though, it starts shimmying straight away, and keeps getting worse until it's a death wobble situation.

Oh yes, this happens at all speeds. I ensured the PSI in both tires are at spec. I tried leaning forward and backwards with my weight, but that had no effect! (it did not affect it) I hope this can be figured out, because I love this bike so much already.

It seems fine if I keep a hold of the bars. You would never know there was any shimmy shakes if you never let go of the handlebars. Is this weird? Is this normal? Any help much appreciated, thanks.
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
but to test how balanced and aligned everything is
I think your test is failing, maybe take it to the dealership and make sure the tires are actually balanced properly.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
We can assume that there is no wear causing it so check:
  1. steering head nut and bearings for tightness
  2. rear wheel alignment
  3. front tire balance
Lyoko and Rebelution like this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
We can assume that there is no wear causing it so check:
  1. steering head nut and bearings for tightness
  2. rear wheel alignment
  3. front tire balance
I bet it's one of the first two choices. The dealer I bought it from sent me on my way with 18 PSI in the tires, so I don't trust them. I'll go over it tomorrow and check those things. Thanks for the tips!
Kenny G and vigessa like this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 08:43 PM
Banned

Just a question.. was the wobble there before or after mounting a small car to the back of your bike? Because I can honestly see that potentially causing some stability issues being that it's so high up catching drag and putting less force on the front tire.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 10:28 PM

I have a slight wobble as well, I took it to the dealer and my front tire has a small ‘hop’ to it, and they also added some weights to the front tire to balance it. The wobble is still there but it went from kind of annoying to liveable.

Line others have said, those three options are most likely your culprit. I may also add that it could be the tires. Some bikes with tires that have a center line type tread down them like these Dunlops can cause a wobble. I had Bridgestone on another bike with a similar tread style and had a wobble also, with everything else checked and square.
Rebelution likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 06:37 AM

Garage
It looks, that our bikes are very sensitive to weight and bulky items over rear wheel. I've had exactly same problem but I have rather big saddlebags (full of things!!!) and a bag strapped to passenger seat, all in all, maybe 20kilos. But when I unloaded all this crap, bike's behavior returns to normal; and as I can see, you put so big (sail- like) bag well behind rear wheel... and here's result. And how bike performs, with no rear bag?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I don't think it's the top case. A passenger would make that problem worse if it was.
Rebelution likes this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 07:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
I don't think it's the top case. A passenger would make that problem worse if it was.
Another example, BMW F650 Dakar- with original topcase, top speed with no issue, but with Givi Maxia (52 litres) you cannot go over 140 km/h, now, go figure.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
It's not the top-case. It happens as slow as 10-15 mph (prior to installing the case yesterday), and my big, fat torso blocks nearly all the wind that would hit the case behind me at higher speeds. And yes, a passenger would be a lot worse than my empty, plastic, lightweight (HUGE) top-case.

I'll be googling how to adjust the head-bearings today, and checking the other suggestions here. I hope it's something simple - it's brand new! Thanks for all the help so far, and I'll report back my findings.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page