Basic tools list? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 247
Basic tools list?

I have looked around and couldn't find any obvious threads that discussed common/basic tools needed for the 2017+ Rebel (or motorcycles in general) that are required for basic maintenance tasks.

I was hoping we could compile a list of these for easy reference for others. What I was hoping for was a type of tool and size if applicable? IE Hex size metric 7 etc.

As a new rider I would like to have a set of tools so I can take care of most little things, and maybe a short list of tools/items to create a 'Go Bag' that I might just have with me at all times.
Techsniffer is offline  
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 01:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
I have looked around and couldn't find any obvious threads that discussed common/basic tools needed for the 2017+ Rebel (or motorcycles in general) that are required for basic maintenance tasks.

I was hoping we could compile a list of these for easy reference for others. What I was hoping for was a type of tool and size if applicable? IE Hex size metric 7 etc.

As a new rider I would like to have a set of tools so I can take care of most little things, and maybe a short list of tools/items to create a 'Go Bag' that I might just have with me at all times.
Allen wrench set metric and standard. Also some sort of socket set metric and standard.
tadashisensei is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadashisensei View Post
Allen wrench set metric and standard. Also some sort of socket set metric and standard.
I was hoping for something a bit more specific to the 2017+ Rebel, for those people that have done work/mods already to have a set of tools at hand, or to take with on the go.
Techsniffer is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 02:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
I was hoping for something a bit more specific to the 2017+ Rebel, for those people that have done work/mods already to have a set of tools at hand, or to take with on the go.
???? it's not like the bike has special bolts.


maybe this

https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemp...54c370c0f/tool
tadashisensei is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadashisensei View Post
???? it's not like the bike has special bolts.


maybe this

https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemp...54c370c0f/tool
I feel like you're going out of your way to miss the point.

I know many riders have a tool bag they always have with them, generally revolving around their bike, or friends they ride with. They contain specific tools, spare parts (tubes, plugs etc). I was wanting to gather a list of essentials people feel they like, need around the 2017+ Rebel. And also what are the common sizes for what tool for use on the bike.

Basically you're telling me "buy tools", which was not the purpose of the thread or my question. As a new rider I'm sure I'm asking a question other riders, new or old, might find value in.
Lyoko and Fletch like this.
Techsniffer is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
 
Lyoko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Europe - Norway
Posts: 1,655
Garage
You're a guy, you're supposed to have more tools than clothes!

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
Lyoko is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
dollarbill181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Melrose Park, IL
Posts: 528
Sounds to me you need a cell phone to call AAA if you need a list of specific tools

Just kidding. I think all you'd need is a size 8 or 10 socket and allen key set.
Being fuel injected I don't think there is much maintenance you can do on the side road.

All other tools stay in the garage.

2017 Honda Rebel 300 ABS
dollarbill181 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
 
01-7700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,072
Garage
I want to have a swiss army knife like tool (or leatherman... is that obsolete now too?) to handle all possible needs on a bike. What would that look like and how many would you guys like to buy? I have a lathe and milling machine and can make stuff.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
01-7700 is online now  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 06:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
I feel like you're going out of your way to miss the point.

I know many riders have a tool bag they always have with them, generally revolving around their bike, or friends they ride with. They contain specific tools, spare parts (tubes, plugs etc). I was wanting to gather a list of essentials people feel they like, need around the 2017+ Rebel. And also what are the common sizes for what tool for use on the bike.

Basically you're telling me "buy tools", which was not the purpose of the thread or my question. As a new rider I'm sure I'm asking a question other riders, new or old, might find value in.
I mean I get it. You just don't really need tools when you're out riding. Just get the kit from Honda that I linked above. Tha's all you would really need or maybe a tire plug kit and little first aid but really don't see anything you would have to work on.
tadashisensei is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 07:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Maryland, U.S.
Posts: 720
Garage
i'm putting one together now and just plan to have a few in there for just in case stuff (i'm mostly waiting for my side bags to come in then i'll store them inside)
basically all i thought I might need so far, is 5mm and 6mm hex, 2 screwdrivers (for whatever), pin spanner wrench ( in case i want to change suspension on a trip or something), and a tire pressure gauge.
I have multiples of all of the above so i don't need to buy anything, but figure one or more might be useful in a given situation.
Odin is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Fender Mods List RebelSam Appearance Modifications 12 03-19-2019 04:40 AM
Consolidated list of maintenance items to purchase jooshs Maintenance 1 02-22-2018 06:44 AM
Finally found a list of some accessories. shortyg83 Accessories And Add Ons 2 03-29-2017 08:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome