Basic tools list? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Basic tools list?

I have looked around and couldn't find any obvious threads that discussed common/basic tools needed for the 2017+ Rebel (or motorcycles in general) that are required for basic maintenance tasks.

I was hoping we could compile a list of these for easy reference for others. What I was hoping for was a type of tool and size if applicable? IE Hex size metric 7 etc.

As a new rider I would like to have a set of tools so I can take care of most little things, and maybe a short list of tools/items to create a 'Go Bag' that I might just have with me at all times.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
I have looked around and couldn't find any obvious threads that discussed common/basic tools needed for the 2017+ Rebel (or motorcycles in general) that are required for basic maintenance tasks.

I was hoping we could compile a list of these for easy reference for others. What I was hoping for was a type of tool and size if applicable? IE Hex size metric 7 etc.

As a new rider I would like to have a set of tools so I can take care of most little things, and maybe a short list of tools/items to create a 'Go Bag' that I might just have with me at all times.
Allen wrench set metric and standard. Also some sort of socket set metric and standard.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadashisensei View Post
Allen wrench set metric and standard. Also some sort of socket set metric and standard.
I was hoping for something a bit more specific to the 2017+ Rebel, for those people that have done work/mods already to have a set of tools at hand, or to take with on the go.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I was hoping for something a bit more specific to the 2017+ Rebel, for those people that have done work/mods already to have a set of tools at hand, or to take with on the go.
???? it's not like the bike has special bolts.

maybe this

https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemp...54c370c0f/tool
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadashisensei View Post
???? it's not like the bike has special bolts.

maybe this

https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemp...54c370c0f/tool
I feel like you're going out of your way to miss the point.

I know many riders have a tool bag they always have with them, generally revolving around their bike, or friends they ride with. They contain specific tools, spare parts (tubes, plugs etc). I was wanting to gather a list of essentials people feel they like, need around the 2017+ Rebel. And also what are the common sizes for what tool for use on the bike.

Basically you're telling me "buy tools", which was not the purpose of the thread or my question. As a new rider I'm sure I'm asking a question other riders, new or old, might find value in.
Lyoko and Fletch like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You're a guy, you're supposed to have more tools than clothes!

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 03:39 PM

Sounds to me you need a cell phone to call AAA if you need a list of specific tools

Just kidding. I think all you'd need is a size 8 or 10 socket and allen key set.
Being fuel injected I don't think there is much maintenance you can do on the side road.

All other tools stay in the garage.

2017 Honda Rebel 300 ABS
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I want to have a swiss army knife like tool (or leatherman... is that obsolete now too?) to handle all possible needs on a bike. What would that look like and how many would you guys like to buy? I have a lathe and milling machine and can make stuff.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I feel like you're going out of your way to miss the point.

I know many riders have a tool bag they always have with them, generally revolving around their bike, or friends they ride with. They contain specific tools, spare parts (tubes, plugs etc). I was wanting to gather a list of essentials people feel they like, need around the 2017+ Rebel. And also what are the common sizes for what tool for use on the bike.

Basically you're telling me "buy tools", which was not the purpose of the thread or my question. As a new rider I'm sure I'm asking a question other riders, new or old, might find value in.
I mean I get it. You just don't really need tools when you're out riding. Just get the kit from Honda that I linked above. Tha's all you would really need or maybe a tire plug kit and little first aid but really don't see anything you would have to work on.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 07:12 PM

Garage
i'm putting one together now and just plan to have a few in there for just in case stuff (i'm mostly waiting for my side bags to come in then i'll store them inside)
basically all i thought I might need so far, is 5mm and 6mm hex, 2 screwdrivers (for whatever), pin spanner wrench ( in case i want to change suspension on a trip or something), and a tire pressure gauge.
I have multiples of all of the above so i don't need to buy anything, but figure one or more might be useful in a given situation.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page