Video recording options? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Question Video recording options?

After spending the past few years watching moto vlogs, moto fail vids etc I was wondering about what do you guys use, recommend etc?

I'm not really interested in making my own vlogs or youtube content but I see great value in video for insurance purposes or as evidence for police (crash etc)

Here are some of what I think I want:
  • Front/Rear video (at the min front video)
  • Possible connection to my Sena 30k to also record voice
  • Easily attachable/detachable for theft reasons
  • High def video quality with image stabilization

So with those items, my questions for that would be:
  • What brands/models do you suggest?
  • Pros/Cons for those (if any, also list weather/waterproofing)
  • Any other hardware to connect everything?
  • Mounting hardware what will be needed
  • Helmet mounts or camera suggestions
  • Anything that I may be overlooking
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm using a GoPro Hero5 Session, due to it's size and quality. And it's a gopro, enough said really. It's waterproof, can take a bit beating, it's a good little camera. The reason I mention size, is because I really don't want a camera at the side of the helmet. It causes a drag at higher speeds, and that's a no no for me.. Hence my set up in the photo.
Two main negative things thou. It's only waterproof when it's sealed off. To access the charging port and memory card you have to open a little tab, and by doing that it's not waterproof anymore. So charging while it's raining isn't an option.
And that brings me to nr.2, the battery. It has a life time of around 1hour 45 min. It ain't much, at all.. And the battery can't be taken out and swapped. You have to charge it. So I ride around with a battery pack on longer trips to I can charge while I'm riding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21082797_10154843448942967_7658727847741656024_o.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	18618  
Kenny G and Techsniffer like this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I was looking at the Hero Session 5 myself, but the battery life is pretty low, which is annoying. Not sure I want it on my helmet at all.

How easy is it to take it off the mount? I was thinking having something mounted on the front bars and back tail area.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 03:43 PM

I have a $20 action camera (looks just like a go pro) that worked great when I went snorkeling on vacation.
Once the weather gets better I plan on trying it on the bike. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

2017 Honda Rebel 300 ABS
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yeah the battery is the biggest issue with it. But it's viable for my normal usage of the bike, so it's not that bad that it makes it useless.

I take it you've got no experience with gopro products from before? There are more or less tonns of products out there for it. You can basically mount it anywhere you want. There is a mounting option for pretty much everything you can think of.
But, like the gopro's, the accessory may be a bit pricey. There are a lot of cheap knock offs of mounts out there as well, but be vary that you get what you pay for also.. Not saying that all gopro products actually are worth as much as they cost, it's the brand you pay for after all, but yeah..

As for taking it on and off - Super easy. The camera itself I can remove with one and, it's just one flip on the mount/harness and voila it's off. And I can ofc take the whole thing off, two plastic clips holding it in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29511101_10155366566412967_3514302513491510000_n.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	18626  

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Yeah I can't mount it on my helmet in the front like you have it, my air intake slider is right there and I dont have the free space you have on yours.

But my idea was to have a semi-permanent mount(s) on my bike so I can attach them, turn them on and go on my way. And when I park I can pull them off, turn them off and go do what I need to. Do they have bluetooth so I can sync/record my Sena coms? I see it says it has bluetooth, but I can't find what its functionality is via bluetooth.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I picked that helmet more or less just to be able to mount the camera at the front. But even so, you could mount the bracket on the side, and just build it forward to the front. Bit bulky then perhaps..

Yeah that'll be no problem. Most of them have fast and easy way of taking it on and off.

The Bluetooth is only to connect it to the phone. Won't be compatible with coms, sadly. You can add a mic to gopros thou,..

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 11:45 PM

Garage
I have multiples of both the Hero Session 4 and the Hero Session 5. Two of my Hero Session 5's refuse to work properly. One won't turn on and the other shifts between time lapse and regular video all on its own. Battery life compared to the 4's is about 20 minutes less at the same rate of recording. Use 4k and it's even worse.

I have all but given up on the 5's but the 4's work really well. Battery life is about 1 hour and 40 minutes +. I started to use an external battery pack along with a 128gig card. So far I have not run out of battery or memory. I usually use 3 cameras - one in the front and 2 in the back. GOPRO makes all kinds of mounts depending on how you want to mount them. I do not have one mounted to my helmet and I hear that it is illegal to add one to a helmet that doesn't have a built-in mount.

The main reasons that I wanted to 5's was because of the image stabilization and 4k recording but I am completely happy with the 1080 and no stabilization.
Kenny G likes this.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 11:53 PM

Garage
Kenny G and Odin like this.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
My GoPro 3+ is adequate quality but no stabiliser. The GoPro 6 has a much improved stabiliser from the previous versions but I donít like the huge price hike.
Iíve tried several mounts for the bars but itís so jittery it spoils the look of the footage.
Helmet fit is the best for front camera as it cushions the jitters for a smoother video, & if you have an incident off the bike, a dispute perhaps, itís obviously going to film in the direction your facing.

As Lyoko said the downside to waterproofing when itís inside the case not being able to charge, but you could dremi a small slot in an additional case just for the bike & fashion a grommet to seal it.
Not sure if Iíd want to have a head cam with a charging lead attached though.
Kenny G likes this.

Twizz

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page