• 4 Post By Lyoko
  • 1 Post By Kjd44
  • 2 Post By Twizzian

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Rear fender tear down

So I've teared the back fender apart here, and thought I'd share some "aha" moments here about how this fender actually is mounted.

I didn't take an awful lot of pictures of the tear down, as I didn't really expect there to be much to it.
But basically, the whole fender consists of 3 main pieces.
1- The brackets that attach to the bike itself. (Nr. 8 on the picture)
2 - The structural piece that bolts onto the brackets, and that holds the third piece: (Sadly they don't show it in the picture)
3 - The outer "shell", the piece with the shiny paint. (Nr. 5 on the picture)

The following explanation is in regards of after you've unscrewed the bracket that holds the whole light assembly at the back of the fender. (Nr. 6 on the picture)

The outer shell is mounted with the two bolts that holds the passenger seat in place. I wasn't aware of this, and wounded up removing this as I removed the structural piece. I keep the bolts in their place, even when without the seat on, to prevent water/rust. Would have been way easier had I removed this piece first. Also, at the very front of the outer shell, underneath the seat, it is "secured" by 3 clips. The black little round ones, you'll see them.

The structural piece is mounted with the 4 bolts on the sides of the fender, two on each side. The funny thing about this/these, is that the bolts go straight through the brackets, and screws into the structural piece. The only thing keeping them in place is the torque they are mounted with, hence why many have struggled to unscrew these.

I haven't taken off the brackets from my bike, but as you can see from the picture, they are mounted with 2 bolts each, mounted from the inside of the bike frame, so underneath the seat.

Moving on. When I finally got my head around the fact that I could separate the outer shell and the structural piece, I was in for quite the shock. Dirt. So much dirt, and sand, everywhere! At the back with the wires it was packed!
The thought had crossed my mind when I was fiddling with it, before I got them separate, but I was not prepared for this.
And what surprised me even more, and have made me quite frustrated, is the fact that the bike is "eating itself" apparently. The third picture is the outer shell at the very front. This is the piece of it that is hidden away underneath the seat and behind some plastic cover.
And make a note of this, the fact that this bike has only been ridding for 8 months, with just over 3000 km on it! That's not a long time, and to find such severe scratch marks already is tearing me apart here...
It's also "eating" away at something on the other side, on the inside of it against the structural piece.

It's fine and all that the Rebel is a relative cheap "big" bike for beginners, but I honestly expected it to be put together better than this. For me it's really starting to feel like an actual cheap bike...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5371.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	18273   Click image for larger version

Name:	28954528_10155353297712967_7788732424962875632_o.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	554.1 KB
ID:	18281   Click image for larger version

Name:	28947463_10155353297502967_660229243958701012_o.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	18289   Click image for larger version

Name:	29313895_10155353297307967_976349674892758578_n.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	18297  

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 07:58 PM

Happy to see you're getting to work on those mods!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lyoko likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko View Post
So I've teared the back fender apart here, and thought I'd share some "aha" moments here about how this fender actually is mounted.

I didn't take an awful lot of pictures of the tear down, as I didn't really expect there to be much to it.
But basically, the whole fender consists of 3 main pieces.
1- The brackets that attach to the bike itself. (Nr. 8 on the picture)
2 - The structural piece that bolts onto the brackets, and that holds the third piece: (Sadly they don't show it in the picture)
3 - The outer "shell", the piece with the shiny paint. (Nr. 5 on the picture)

The following explanation is in regards of after you've unscrewed the bracket that holds the whole light assembly at the back of the fender. (Nr. 6 on the picture)

The outer shell is mounted with the two bolts that holds the passenger seat in place. I wasn't aware of this, and wounded up removing this as I removed the structural piece. I keep the bolts in their place, even when without the seat on, to prevent water/rust. Would have been way easier had I removed this piece first. Also, at the very front of the outer shell, underneath the seat, it is "secured" by 3 clips. The black little round ones, you'll see them.

The structural piece is mounted with the 4 bolts on the sides of the fender, two on each side. The funny thing about this/these, is that the bolts go straight through the brackets, and screws into the structural piece. The only thing keeping them in place is the torque they are mounted with, hence why many have struggled to unscrew these.

I haven't taken off the brackets from my bike, but as you can see from the picture, they are mounted with 2 bolts each, mounted from the inside of the bike frame, so underneath the seat.

Moving on. When I finally got my head around the fact that I could separate the outer shell and the structural piece, I was in for quite the shock. Dirt. So much dirt, and sand, everywhere! At the back with the wires it was packed!
The thought had crossed my mind when I was fiddling with it, before I got them separate, but I was not prepared for this.
And what surprised me even more, and have made me quite frustrated, is the fact that the bike is "eating itself" apparently. The third picture is the outer shell at the very front. This is the piece of it that is hidden away underneath the seat and behind some plastic cover.
And make a note of this, the fact that this bike has only been ridding for 8 months, with just over 3000 km on it! That's not a long time, and to find such severe scratch marks already is tearing me apart here...
It's also "eating" away at something on the other side, on the inside of it against the structural piece.

It's fine and all that the Rebel is a relative cheap "big" bike for beginners, but I honestly expected it to be put together better than this. For me it's really starting to feel like an actual cheap bike...
I can give you the answer for No2 in your breakdown.
Itís because I never uploaded/posted the other diagram, it has additional exploded views.
If I find the paper Iíll post it up.
Lyoko and Ryan500 like this.

Twizz

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page