Height concern - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Height concern

Hi guys and girls after seeing the Rebel 500 by chance in uk I fell in love..it revived my interest in biking after 10 years, only previously owned a c90 for 5 years.
I have been backwards and forwards to dealership to sit on the bike as I am 6ft 3 190lbs and have had lower back problems, my direct access course is due in 3 weeks which will discount the Rebel by £500 if taken through Honda,
my concerns are am I going to be too big for this bike I visited a showroom today and the salesman said ďcan I help? you look far too big on thatĒ I was already unsure how comfy Iíd be and he really didnít help, the problem is I canít testride until I pass but if it turns out to be a no go Iíll miss big discounts on other branded bikes by not completing training through them, Iím not keen on other Honda bikes available at price range
Iíd be really grateful to here from any tall guys to know if you find the bike comfortable and are sitting upright
Thanks
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:28 PM

Garage
DJH,

I am only 6' x 170 LB and I couldn't ride the new Rebel before modifying the seat to raise the height an additional 3 inches.

Kenny G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0873.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	624.7 KB
ID:	17114  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:37 PM

Hi,

I'm 6' 220lbs and am fine on the stock Rebel, I don't feel too big on it and apparently don't look it either.

Saying that, adding another 3" is a lot and could easily be too much - Ryan on F9 has done a youtube review of the Rebel and he is I believe somewhere around 6'3". I remember him mentioning that he felt too big for it. Body shape is another factor, if a lot of your 6'3" is leg then I would say you will definitely struggle.

Mods so far;
Changed the brick to an oval tail light.
Replaced pillion seat and pegs with luggage rack.
Changed headlight bulb for Philips RacingVision +150% H4.
Changed levers for 7 Click GP Adjustable Levers.
Changed the filler cap bolts to Red.
Added Grip Puppies foam covers.
Added left side swing arm bag made for Harley Sportster XL1200.
Added mesh screen in front of radiator (thanks to JimInOz for howto)
..more to follow..
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
DJH,

I am only 6' x 170 LB and I couldn't ride the new Rebel before modifying the seat to raise the height an additional 3 inches.

Kenny G
Should perhaps add that your young age of 80 might have some say in this? That you had problem lifting your legs due to the low seat height?

I'm a youngster at 6'1 and have not had any problem with riding the rebel.
I have some times feelt big/oversized on the bike, but in no way has it been an issue in regards of it. The Rebel is a relatively small bike in size after all.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk
Kenny G likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:47 PM

Here's another review of the rebel by Revzilla with someone the same height @ 6'3".
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 02:19 AM

I'm just 1.82m=5.9 , i was thinking of forward controls and seat raise.

Raising it just a little could be done with a seat like this,

I'm still considering it, this seat with springs. I guest it would give towards 3 inches.
Kenny G likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 06:10 PM

It is your inseam size that is relevant to fitting yourself to a bike from the seat downwards, isn't it?

Just do it! (I did: 2017 Rebel 500; 2014 MT-07)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robble10 View Post
It is your inseam size that is relevant to fitting yourself to a bike from the seat downwards, isn't it?
Robbie makes a good point here. I'm 6ft 1 with a 30 to 31 inseam. The bike feels perfect for me, I don't feel to big for the bike and like others have said, I've been told by many it doesn't look small for my size.

It's comfortable. I know you are unable to test ride it. But how does it feel when you sit on it. As easy as it is to say, I wouldn't worry about what other people think. As long as your comfortable, happy and safe that's all that matters.

Good luck with your Direct Access mate
Kenny G likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 05:18 AM

I'm 1.82m = 5'11 and 77 kg= 170lbs .. I believe I'm like at the limit.

It's ok, it was great learning to ride on it, saw pics of me on the motorcycle and it looks OK, it doesn't look like a small bike for my body size.

After doing 2.000 km I would increase the seat height using a seat with springs(unfortunately I cannot find a plug and play one) and move forward the foot controls, for a more relaxed stance.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 11:37 PM

I'm 6'1" and found the stock setup just fine. But I changed to the slightly higher up tracker style seat and love it even more. Now it's perfect for flat footing with legs ever so slightly bent.

With the standard seat my legs were really bent flat footing, to the point I felt a little wobbly. Now it's pretty much perfect and I prefer the view when riding in city traffic. Final bonus is pillon gets to sit right with you, rather than on a little pad above you (better center of gravity).
Kenny G likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page