Is no tachometer an issue? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Is no tachometer an issue?

I am not seeing a tachometer on the rebel. Is that an issue for anyone? At least on a manual car, I would use the tach to help me shift at correct times.
Kenny G likes this.
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 11:23 AM

Garage
To me itís not an issue. The only time that itís a problem is when you are next to a loud car or bike.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
You're not seeing one, as there isn't one.
Is it an issue? No? Why would it be?
Try once to drive your car without looking at the rpm gauge, and see what happens. (I'll give you a hint: When the car is screaming at you, and maybe some smoke is coming out from under the hood, it's time to change gears!)
But seriously, listen to your bike, to your car, listen to what it's telling you. Is it screaming? Change to higher gear. Are you driving up a hill and you can hear the engine struggling? Change down a gear.
You'll notice all sorts of things that your vehicle is telling you, through sounds, through feelings in the stearing, in the body, how the power is responding and behaving, etc, etc.

And I can't help ponder over "I would use the tach to help me shift at correct times"
How does that work even? That's the kind of thing you'd do when you're listening to the engine.
There is no fixed law that says that you have to change gears when you're at the max rpm, or that you have to change down when you're at X rpm.
You should really start driving solely by what you're feeling, and not be fixated by the numbers.
Should follow the speed limit and such thou, ofc
rebelwithoutacause and R80rt like this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

I hear you. I haven't driven a manual in a while, but you are probably right that I wasn't shifting based on the RPM when I did. However, I do have a friend who managed to accidentally stick his saab into 3rd instead of 5th on the highway and not notice it for quite some time due to open windows, loud music and a car full of loud people.
Also, when just starting out I feel that being able to see the RPM would help learn what the bike sounds like at the point where you should shift.
Anyways, I guess it's not an issue and I am just wondering why would honda decide to omit it, since most bikes do have them and it's not a terribly expensive piece of equipment.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmmm View Post
I hear you. I haven't driven a manual in a while, but you are probably right that I wasn't shifting based on the RPM when I did. However, I do have a friend who managed to accidentally stick his saab into 3rd instead of 5th on the highway and not notice it for quite some time due to open windows, loud music and a car full of loud people.
Also, when just starting out I feel that being able to see the RPM would help learn what the bike sounds like at the point where you should shift.
Anyways, I guess it's not an issue and I am just wondering why would honda decide to omit it, since most bikes do have them and it's not a terribly expensive piece of equipment.
Well, in such circumstances I'm sure even the most experienced driver would struggle a little...
But thankfully that ain't an everyday situation that we find our self in, unless you're a taxi driver perhaps...

I'll say to you what I said to another one here complaining about the same, the Rebel isn't supposed to have it! It's that simple!
The Rebel was made with the word "bobber" in mind, both in styling and function.
When was the last time you saw a bobber with an rpm gauge? Or a gear indicator?
The Rebel is an retro idea of a bike, with a modern twist to it.

And again with the numbers.. Trust me, when the bike want's to change gear, you'll notice!!
If you go out one day and simply try applying throttle until the bike simply can't go any faster in that gear, then you'll know. And believe me, you'll be wanting to change long before the bike can't go any faster, because of the sound it'll be making. You really can't mistake the sound from an engine that is screaming at you between your legs... You've gotta be deaf in that case!
When you start getting some experience on two wheels, you'll eventually get used to only relying on the sound from the bike, and not the gimmicks telling you the rpm, or what gear you're in.
To begin with it might be a little steep learning curve, but you'll gain way more experience by starting out like that, instead of relying on gimmicks.
So don't let if throw you off the saddle before you've started riding even.
mrmmm and rebelwithoutacause like this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
If your a new rider, what you donít have you donít need.
Some riders only want a tacho because other bikes have them. Using the bike often will soon teach you the correct times to change up or down, you begin to automatically memorise the gear select time without much thinking.

Iíve had several fast cars, always played loud music but never had to look a the tacho when using gears, you learn the feel of your own bike/car.
Lyoko likes this.

Twizz
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 01:33 PM

Garage
Having learned to ride without a tacho, I can't image why I'd need one. Maybe to save on fuel economy or something, but otherwise grip it, rip it, shift it.

YouTube Channel Moto Noir
2017 Honda Rebel 300 Owner from Brooklyn, NY
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 08:27 PM

I've always rode dirtbikes/ fourwheelers, none of which have a tach.. most new fourwheelers have a gear indicator but since I grew up riding without one I seldom even pay it any attention. You'll feel it more than hear it I always say. And when shifting into 3rd instead of 5th in a car, that's a matter of hitting the wrong slot in the shifter.. it would be almost impossible to pull that off on a bike as you have to actually click straight up or down.
Lyoko likes this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 11:09 PM

Garage
This is one of the times that a tach would be useful - when you can't hear your own bike over the music. WARNING - language not safe for little kids or work.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 01:30 AM

I'm used to it. Can 'feel' when to shift up or down. Tacho not needed.
Lyoko likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page