Sell or spend - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Sell or spend

So, I'm getting a solid tax return this year. Now, I haven't done anything to my Rebel 500 yet. I've been waiting until I had some good cash. Since I got it, I've wanted a new exhaust, to abbreviate the rear fender, and get some bar end mirrors. From the parts I want, that should cost around 1000 bucks.

I've also test driven a Triumph Bobber and absolutely love everything about that bike. If I were to trade the Rebel and put a bit more money down, I could finance the Bobber for about the same amount as I'm paying for the Rebel now.

Knowing there may be some bias because of the site I'm on, what would you guys do? Invest in the Rebel or move onward and upward with the Triumph?
Kenny G and Ravnet like this.
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 01:39 PM

Garage
Dan,

That is a tough decision to make. I have owned British motorcycles up until about 11 years ago. I love the way a British bike handles, but the older ones were very maintenance intensive and I am at the point that I want to ride not repair motorcycles.

Join a forum for the Triumph Bobber and over a period of time you will find out if they are worth the investment to you.

Good Luck,

Kenny G
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 01:43 PM

Garage
The Triumph Bobber is a pretty sweet ride! If the payment is going to be about the same, obviously you're getting a lot more bike for your buck with the Triumph.

If you really love the Triumph, I say go for it! Why not?

-CG
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 02:25 PM

I say do what you feel is best for you. I was thinking about doing a bunch of mods but decided to keep them limited as I'm already feeling like I'll be wanting something different in the next year or two. I'm not sure how much of my investment I would get back when I'm ready to move on from the Rebel.
I checked out the triumph too. It felt good with the mini apes and smaller seat!
Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 06:26 PM

Garage
If it were me I'd be careful about the modifications that I'd make if the Rebel is your short-term bike. Not everyone is going to like a Rebel with a modified fender and other "chop" mods. I think that anything that cannot be undone hurts rather than helps with re-sale value. That being said, it's your bike so have at it.

Gary
01-7700 and Kenny G like this.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
If it were me I'd be careful about the modifications that I'd make if the Rebel is your short-term bike. Not everyone is going to like a Rebel with a modified fender and other "chop" mods. I think that anything that cannot be undone hurts rather than helps with re-sale value. That being said, it's your bike so have at it.

Gary
good advice - a stock bike always gets more sale price than a modded bike with the exception of very few, very well done mods

it sounds like OP has already determined that the triumph is what he needs, he may not be happy if he doesn't follow that lead

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Appreciate all the feedback guys. I love my Rebel and could be very happy on it for a long time. I've really wanted to customize it and make it my own since the day I bought it. I'm planning to see how much I can get for it via trade and what the monthly payment would be for the Triumph. If it's too cost prohibitive, I'll probably just commit to the Rebel for the next few years. Which means modding it however I feel like!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 07:15 PM

Garage
Conventional wisdom is that you can get more on a private sale than you can on a sale to a dealer. They still have to sell it at a profit. I'd test the waters on Craigslist to see if you can get what you need for your new bike. It's such a new model that you can't find a used Rebel at all.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The Rebel is a first bike for many, so ofc a lot of people will be looking to change things up a bit in the future. Some sooner than other.
Do what feels right for you. Wants and needs will always change with time, so it's no biggie wanting to change something.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Itís a no brainer for me!
The Triumph any day, although there are several other bikes in my top 5.
Kenny G likes this.

Twizz

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page