Turn the key 8 61.54%
Kill switch 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Key or Kill Switch

How do you turn your bike off? Key or Kill Switch?
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Mainly the key. It's how you turn it on, and should be how you turn it off.
Ofc, should I want to kill the bike when I'm at an incline then I'll use the kill switch. It's just not safe to try and kill it with the key in such a situation.
That's the only time I use it.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 06:31 PM

Garage
I mostly use the kickstand as the bike is parked in gear.
Get off the bike, turn off and remove the key.
It checks the function of the kickstand as well, it should always cut the engine in any gear.
Kenny G and Lyoko like this.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 08:26 PM

Garage
I always use the kickstand.

The key is inconveniently located.

With the clutch on the left hand side and the key on the left hand side this setup is a recipe for disaster.

Kenny G
Showmeguy66 likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
In an emergency would anyone think of the kill switch? I wouldn't because I never use it. Maybe it would be good to use the kill switch as a shut-off every day so you remember in an emergency. I can't imagine an emergency where you would need to use the kill switch but maybe that's exactly the emergency that you need to train for. How many times I have been surprised by the emergency I didn't prepare for when I thought I was prepared for the emergency I expected?
longbeachgary likes this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
In an emergency would anyone think of the kill switch? I wouldn't because I never use it. Maybe it would be good to use the kill switch as a shut-off every day so you remember in an emergency. I can't imagine an emergency where you would need to use the kill switch but maybe that's exactly the emergency that you need to train for. How many times I have been surprised by the emergency I didn't prepare for when I thought I was prepared for the emergency I expected?
I got a fair warning that it's a bad habit to make, as that's not how you're suppose to use it.
Now, we have had this discussion before, should you or shouldn't you use the kill switch, why or why not, is it dangerous, will it damage the bike, etc, etc, etc.
I'm not keen to discuss all off that again, but I'll say this: I'll agreed with you, as long as you flip the kill switch on again after killing the bike. Why? In case you're about to leave with the key still in the bike.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:20 AM

I use the kickstand to "kill" the engine. Dont like the switch as i dont like to shut down my pc by pressing the on/off button...but i cant imagine how it should damage the engine. When i got the bike i once wanted to ride and it didnt do anything when i turned the key and for a few moments i paniced, then noticed the flipped killswitch...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kradmelder View Post
I use the kickstand to "kill" the engine. Dont like the switch as i dont like to shut down my pc by pressing the on/off button...but i cant imagine how it should damage the engine. When i got the bike i once wanted to ride and it didnt do anything when i turned the key and for a few moments i paniced, then noticed the flipped killswitch...
You do realize that the kick stand does exactly the same as the kill switch? They are on the same set of wires, the exact same ones. Those wires are also the very same ones that your ignition uses.
So if it's not bad for the engine to turn the key to "off" then I'm pretty sure you ain't gonna mess anything up by using the kill switch either, or the kick stand. All they do is simply cut the power supply.
Kenny G likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko-Code View Post
You do realize that the kick stand does exactly the same as the kill switch? They are on the same set of wires, the exact same ones. Those wires are also the very same ones that your ignition uses.
So if it's not bad for the engine to turn the key to "off" then I'm pretty sure you ain't gonna mess anything up by using the kill switch either, or the kick stand. All they do is simply cut the power supply.
Yes, i understand that. I only said i dont like to kill it by the switch. Moreover, as somebody mentioned, by using the kickstand it tests it and ist very practical. Im not afraid of damaging it by the killswitch, but it seems like some people are.
Kenny G and Lyoko like this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I guess it should have been key, kill switch or kickstand.
NathanielCatch likes this.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page