First bike? If not, what else do you have? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
First bike? If not, what else do you have?

I know that the Rebel is marketed as a beginnerís bike, and for many, it is their first. For me, itís my 9th.

My first ďbikeĒ was a 150cc Vespa ET4. It was barely fast enough to ride on the freeway and people thought I was crazy to do so, but it was a lot of fun. My second was another ET4, this time with a Big Bore kit that brought it up to 180cc. The first did 70 mph, this one did 75 mph.

My third bike was a 1989 Kawasaki EX500 and it was a rocket. I didnít need a newer 600cc sport bike or any liter bike to let me know that I have no business on sport bikes. I rode it dangerously for a year and decided to save myself from myself and get a cruiser.

4th was a 1987 Honda Shadow VT750. It was a ton of fun, but I sold it in a month because I needed cash more than a bike at the time.

5th was a 1972 Honda CB500Four. Beautiful, but as a vintage bike, needed more work and time than I had (especially without a garage).

Then I bought a Honda Shadow VLX600 and a hacksaw. Bobbed it out with that hacksaw and eventually decided I wanted the option to go on long rides with luggage. Thatís hard to do when youíve hacksawed off most of the body.

I bought a Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C for my long-distance touring bike. I had it for 5 years, rode it all around California, replaced the fuel pump once but otherwise had no issues, but always itched for a Harley.

My 8th bike, I still own: Special Construction Harley-esque Softail. Mostly aftermarket parts in Harley style. I struggle to actually call it a Harley. Frame by Kraft Tech, 96Ē Evo-style S&S motor, to-me-unknown aftermarket 6-speed trans, Sportster tank, etc. I love it, but a custom-built project bike is inevitably and continuously a project that you need to work on.

I decided I need to buy something new for once in my life and looked at my options, which came down to...
1) Sell the Harley, buy a new bike for $12,000+ (I was looking at Triumph Bobbers but wanted a backseat/place to strap luggage)
2) Keep the Harley, supplement with a Rebel (has backseat/place to strap luggage)

As you can see from above, Iíve always liked Honda, and you canít beat the bang-for-your-buckness of the Rebel. There was a Triumph event near me on Friday night where I got to check out the 2018 Bonneville Speedmaster, which was on my short list. After seeing it in person, I knew that it wasnít for me, and the Bobber didnít have the seat/luggage options I wanted, so Saturday, I bought the Rebel. Iíve only put 50 or so miles on it, but coming from all of the old bikes Iíve had, it rides like a dream.

Sorry for the verbose description, but I suppose Iím getting at this: The Rebel (especially the 500) is not JUST a first bike, and if itís not your first, what else are you riding? And how does it stack up? My Harley has loads more torque, but honestly, not to the point where the Rebel disappoints. 20+ years of engineering seem to outweigh pure displacement in this case.

Iíll try to find some photos of my old bikes to add later, till then, thanks for reading and let me know your journey,

Bear
Lyoko and dutchman like this.

2018 Rebel 500 ABS
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearebel500 View Post
I know that the Rebel is marketed as a beginnerís bike, and for many, it is their first. For me, itís my 9th.

My first ďbikeĒ was a 150cc Vespa ET4. It was barely fast enough to ride on the freeway and people thought I was crazy to do so, but it was a lot of fun. My second was another ET4, this time with a Big Bore kit that brought it up to 180cc. The first did 70 mph, this one did 75 mph.

My third bike was a 1989 Kawasaki EX500 and it was a rocket. I didnít need a newer 600cc sport bike or any liter bike to let me know that I have no business on sport bikes. I rode it dangerously for a year and decided to save myself from myself and get a cruiser.

4th was a 1987 Honda Shadow VT750. It was a ton of fun, but I sold it in a month because I needed cash more than a bike at the time.

5th was a 1972 Honda CB500Four. Beautiful, but as a vintage bike, needed more work and time than I had (especially without a garage).

Then I bought a Honda Shadow VLX600 and a hacksaw. Bobbed it out with that hacksaw and eventually decided I wanted the option to go on long rides with luggage. Thatís hard to do when youíve hacksawed off most of the body.

I bought a Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C for my long-distance touring bike. I had it for 5 years, rode it all around California, replaced the fuel pump once but otherwise had no issues, but always itched for a Harley.

My 8th bike, I still own: Special Construction Harley-esque Softail. Mostly aftermarket parts in Harley style. I struggle to actually call it a Harley. Frame by Kraft Tech, 96Ē Evo-style S&S motor, to-me-unknown aftermarket 6-speed trans, Sportster tank, etc. I love it, but a custom-built project bike is inevitably and continuously a project that you need to work on.

I decided I need to buy something new for once in my life and looked at my options, which came down to...
1) Sell the Harley, buy a new bike for $12,000+ (I was looking at Triumph Bobbers but wanted a backseat/place to strap luggage)
2) Keep the Harley, supplement with a Rebel (has backseat/place to strap luggage)

As you can see from above, Iíve always liked Honda, and you canít beat the bang-for-your-buckness of the Rebel. There was a Triumph event near me on Friday night where I got to check out the 2018 Bonneville Speedmaster, which was on my short list. After seeing it in person, I knew that it wasnít for me, and the Bobber didnít have the seat/luggage options I wanted, so Saturday, I bought the Rebel. Iíve only put 50 or so miles on it, but coming from all of the old bikes Iíve had, it rides like a dream.

Sorry for the verbose description, but I suppose Iím getting at this: The Rebel (especially the 500) is not JUST a first bike, and if itís not your first, what else are you riding? And how does it stack up? My Harley has loads more torque, but honestly, not to the point where the Rebel disappoints. 20+ years of engineering seem to outweigh pure displacement in this case.

Iíll try to find some photos of my old bikes to add later, till then, thanks for reading and let me know your journey,

Bear
You may want to take a look atí What bikes have you ownedí thread.
Some interesting posts on this.

https://www.hondarebel3forum.com/foru...you-owned.html
Lyoko likes this.

Twizz
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 12:23 PM

Garage
Bear,

I'd be interested in seeing some better pics of that Harley project. Looks amazing.

I have always had a dream about starting my own project build one-day and i'm constantly doing research so that I can make it reality.

As for previously owned bikes, The rebel has been my introduction into the motorcycle world and I couldn't be happier with my choice. I hope to keep it until the day i die.

The Dutchman
Kenny G likes this.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The Rebel is a beginnerís bike for me, my very first. I got it back in April, and I already feel the want/"need" for something else.
But by the time I'm enough financially stable to even buy a new bike again, the poor Rebel here is gonna be such a modded bike that I probably can't even bear to sell it..
Steve1135 and Kenny G like this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 10:09 PM

The Rebel is my partners bike but ill get to ride it.

I have a 2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin and a 2011 Kawasaki W800 turned cafe racer
Lyoko likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazza_Brendan View Post
The Rebel is my partners bike but ill get to ride it.

I have a 2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin and a 2011 Kawasaki W800 turned cafe racer
2011 W800? I wish they sold those in the US. I would have bought one years ago. I like the Africa Twins too, but I feel like I will never plan the proper ride for it with long portions of dirt roads and such.

Does the Rebel feel like a slouch compared to those two?

2018 Rebel 500 ABS
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman View Post
Bear,

I'd be interested in seeing some better pics of that Harley project. Looks amazing.

I have always had a dream about starting my own project build one-day and i'm constantly doing research so that I can make it reality.

As for previously owned bikes, The rebel has been my introduction into the motorcycle world and I couldn't be happier with my choice. I hope to keep it until the day i die.

The Dutchman

When the rain stops, Iíll try to get some photos of the Harley for you.
Lyoko likes this.

2018 Rebel 500 ABS
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearebel500 View Post
2011 W800? I wish they sold those in the US. I would have bought one years ago. I like the Africa Twins too, but I feel like I will never plan the proper ride for it with long portions of dirt roads and such.

Does the Rebel feel like a slouch compared to those two?
The Rebel would be close to the W800 in performance i think. The W800 is quite underpowered for its capacity. Mine makes 55hp at the wheel.
The Africa twin is 100hp but more weight. Its much faster then the other bikes but its no powerhouse. Plenty of power for offroad though.
Id like to get a Z900RS to replace the W800
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 02:30 PM

Weight might be a major plus depending on who you ask, some of the older riders I know don't mind it and find it a bit more enjoyable to throw around at lower speeds.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 09:10 PM

The weight is no fun when your on the side of a hill in loose rock/gravel. On the road its good though, Dont get blown around by passing trucks.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page