Future mods? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Future mods?

As there are those of us who have to stow the bike away for a little while each year, are any of you using the time to plan any mods for the bike?

Christmas is upon us soon, and all I can think about is that the riding season isn't coming fast enough!
But, in the meantime I'm scavenging the web for parts and stuff here, planning out mods I wanna do and get the purchases out of the way, so that everything has arrived by the time I'm able to take the bike out from storage again. (I've stored it at the dealers this year, so I can't do anything with it during the winter)

For now, I've purchased this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/182782287689

Also looking a little at those small bags for the bike:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-REBEL...paD5aM&vxp=mtr
Have yet to make my mind up on them..
If that price is for two of them, then I just might.. But I suspect the price is just for one of them, and that is a little outrageous then...
Edit: Dumb little me.. Just saw it now, price is for the pair of them. Bah, dammit.. Now I kinda have to get them...

And I'm currently looking into getting indicators and license plate holder from Rizoma.
They are expensive as F! But, rather get good quality stuff once, rather than cheap junk again and again.
That, and the fact that I can't seem to find anyone else providing what I'm actually after.
I want indicators at the back that has "all in one" purpose. Indicator, driving light, and brake light, all in the same housing.
And Rizoma has just the one I've been looking for:
Universal Indicator Lights by Rizoma Bikes Accessories -
And these at the front:
Universal Indicator Lights by Rizoma Bikes Accessories -
These are also meant for front position light, like the rebel has as stock in the indicators.
Should be pretty simple plug and play, for the most part.
AND! Everything will be LED light... *bliss* Ahh.. I like the thought of that, yes sir..

SO! Guys and Gals that suffer the same fate of winter on your door, are you planning any mods as well??
Kenny G likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 04:40 PM

Hi all, itís been some time but now Iím back to amuse you all with a vintage trunk project.
Though I really like the aesthetics of my stainless luggage rack I miss having a lockable trunk behind me.
Most trunk solutions are practical but look awful.
Itís up to you to decide on the looks of what I cooked up, I myself canít be bothered because Iím sitting comfortably with my back against it.
My imagination got the best of me when I ran into a vintage Vetter trunk for Ä 25,--.
I welded up a rack that places it as close as possible to the seat so I can make use of the driver back rest. The shape of the trunk and the lack of space between me and the trunk may even have some beneficial streamlining effects , just the thing Craig Vetter was always looking for. Will find out when I go do some long freeway stints.
Plusses for me so far; big lockable storage space, driver back rest, trunk is not somewhere high up in the air far behind me but as low as possible with center in front of the back axle.
Still have to paint the rack and possibly the colored trunk panels.
I might try to hook up the trunk lights at a later time, havenít decided yet if I want to remove them or make them work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vetter trunk.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	13074   Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk rack.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	13082   Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk mounted.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	13090   Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk position.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	13106  
01-7700, Twizzian and Lyoko like this.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 05:07 PM

Garage
Rebold,

I am jealous that I din't think of this first.

Kenny G
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I think with my bike, I made the mistake of doing so many mods in a short time that I no longer have much to look forward to and kind of killed the enthusiasm a little.

Still havenít changed the exhaust yet & prob will add one or two bags, & Iím still contemplating on the wheel colour change, but enough for now.
Kenny G, Lyoko and ChozoGod like this.

Twizz
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 10:55 PM

Garage
Twiz,

I just found out that if I strip the wheels of the bearings I can get both wheels done for $100.00. I must give them a $40.00 deposit to order the powder and the balance of $60.00 when I pickup the wheels. I am thinking Gloss White at the moment. I will get it done over the winter when I need a new rear tire.......

Anyone on The Forum have a recommendation for replacement tires?

Kenny G
Twizzian and Lyoko like this.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Kenny, thatís a very good price quote & will be looking forward to seeing the result.

I prefer Matt or semi Matt better as I think it would blend with the Matt grey tank better, but as you have a gloss tank & fender then your choice would prob suit.
Kenny G likes this.

Twizz
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 09:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko-Code View Post
Also looking a little at those small bags for the bike:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-REBEL...paD5aM&vxp=mtr
I was eyeballing these "fairing bags" as well! Since i use my rear fender bracket for aftermarket indicators most saddlebag options are off limits.

But that price tag is so off putting for what you get...i wish there was more options available for those of us who dont want so much junk in the trunk and want to keep things streamlined :P
Lyoko likes this.

I never knew nothing, so there's nothing to forget.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 09:53 AM

Garage
also id love to upgrade to braided brake lines...but again...the price!

Brake Lines Kit

I never knew nothing, so there's nothing to forget.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulksmash View Post
I was eyeballing these "fairing bags" as well! Since i use my rear fender bracket for aftermarket indicators most saddlebag options are off limits.

But that price tag is so off putting for what you get...i wish there was more options available for those of us who dont want so much junk in the trunk and want to keep things streamlined :P
Yeah, I'm planning on using one of the fender bolts to hold the new indicators as well, so no saddlebags for me. Doesn't matter anyway, since I don't want any on the bike either way.
But, some small storage, like these bags, would suit just perfect.
I would guess others might make similar bags with time. But who's got the time to wait all year?
But then again, I haven't looked much into it yet, but I know for a fact that other sites/brands make such bags, so this ebay listing isn't the only option out there. Just gotta look.
Biggest problem for me is finding something, someone, who actually ships worldwide.
People in the US have it easy that way, way more options available over there compared to Europe.
Kenny G and hulksmash like this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 07:06 PM

Well I am pretty much hitting up the family for parts this Christmas. Hopefully will have new tail light, turn signals, swing arm bag, bars and grips. Hopefully won't need to replace cables and lines but we'll see after I get the bars. Too lazy to put up links to everything.
It's fun seeing what everyone is planning and can't wait to see the final results! Happy Holidays and safe riding to all who still can this time of year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lyoko likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page