1st and 2nd gears - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

1st and 2nd gears

Hi everyone!

Tell me please guys, How to do it right?

Such situation: I ride 12mph and shifting up on 2nd gear then I ride 9-10mph, can I ride on 2nd gear or I must shifting down? Does it harm the engine?

My bike: Honda Rebel 2017 300cc
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 08:27 PM

Garage
Mrkf,

On my 500 Rebel I don't shift much before 15 or 16 MPH.

At 9 or 10 MPH you are probably lugging the motor in 2nd. gear.

Lugging, especially during break-in is very harmful to a new engine whether it be a 300 or 500..

Lugging any engine at anytime is not good.

Kenny G
jr_b17 and hammad.khan like this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 09:18 PM

I'd say RPMs are high enough at that speed to not be considered lugging in 2nd gear, especially on the 300.

I'd wager the same for my 500, as trying to maintain that speed in 1st is very jerky (constantly on/off the throttle in stop and go rush hour traffic, for example).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
trock59 likes this.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 11:26 PM

On a 500, 15-16 mph is on the order of 5k rpm Iím guessing. Which isnít real comfortable even on the freeway. Iíll pay attention tomorrow what it actually is.
Kenny G and hammad.khan like this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 12:23 AM

I've been meaning to post this as a question for some time now. In terms of cruising speeds. I own the 300 and am not sure what the right gear is for the right cruising speed.

I usually cruise on 4th till around 70. Is that too much revving? Should I shift up at that point? around 50ish on 3rd? Don't want to lug the engine as all I've read as a new rider is that lugging is a no no. Thanks all.
Kenny G likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 12:52 AM

Garage
Hammad,

You can probably shift into 5th gear before 50 MPH and into 6th gear shortly there after without any fear of lugging the engine.

You are not going to hurt the CB style engines keeping the RPMs up to your liking. I tend run at higher RPMs than many other riders who are riding similar equipment.

On my 500 Rebel I am getting slightly more than 70 MPG using 87 octane gasoline and I am not using any oil so I am satisfied that my higher revs are not hurting anything. If you get into an emergency situation, and need power in a hurry, the higher RPMs will give you instant throttle response.

Ride how you are most comfortable and when get a chance try to ride with some seasoned riders and watch how they ride. There is no substitute for experience.

Kenny G
Twizzian, Lyoko, trock59 and 3 others like this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
Hammad,

You can probably shift into 5th gear before 50 MPH and into 6th gear shortly there after without any fear of lugging the engine.

You are not going to hurt the CB style engines keeping the RPMs up to your liking. I tend run at higher RPMs than many other riders who are riding similar equipment.

On my 500 Rebel I am getting slightly more than 70 MPG using 87 octane gasoline and I am not using any oil so I am satisfied that my higher revs are not hurting anything. If you get into an emergency situation, and need power in a hurry, the higher RPMs will give you instant throttle response.

Ride how you are most comfortable and when get a chance try to ride with some seasoned riders and watch how they ride. There is no substitute for experience.

Kenny G
Thank you kindly Kenny. That is really helpful. I think I'm like you and prefer to keep the revs on the high side. So if I cruise at 70 in 4th gear on the 300, that shouldn't be a problem? Or at 50 in 3rd? I can still feel some juice in the throttle at those speeds in the specific gears I mentioned. There's no tach, and this is my first bike, so I'm constantly juggling between worrying about lugging and going in the red line zone.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 01:57 AM

Also, my speeds are in Kilometers, Canadian and all
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 01:58 AM

Garage
Hammad,

I haven't rode a 300 since I bought the 500, but I think you can safely go up to 6th gear for 70 MPH cruising. If you need acceleration drop back a gear

At 50 MPH you probably could be in 5th gear and still have the RPMs that you like.

We are all going to ride a little differently and the Honda engines are generally going to be bullet proof. By reducing the RPMs you can probably get a little better gas mileage and still have acceleration when you need it. Practice at different speeds and determine what suits you. You are going to be the judge of how you ride your bike.

Kenny G
jr_b17 and hammad.khan like this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 07:58 AM

Garage
OP - Some might differ, but on my 300 that seems a bit too soon for 2nd gear. If I'm in traffic and really easy on the throttle I shift sometimes at like 12mph but less than that and the motor doesn't seem happy with it for me. If I remember right I think 12 in second was pretty low at like 2500rpm or something. Shifting about 15mph gives me the smoothest acceleration in 2nd.

hammad - Regarding the "juggling between worrying about lugging and going in the red line zone" statement. Even at only 55-60mph, 6th gear is perfectly safe. I had a tach on mine for a few weeks when I bought it to help see what the bike is doing. Even at 60mph, I believe the rpm's were around 5500. Like others have said, it's your preference where to keep the revs while cruising, but definitely don't worry about lugging the motor at that speed.
Kenny G and hammad.khan like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page