Proper way to sit on this bike? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Proper way to sit on this bike?

Sorry for the stupid question, I'm new to riding, and I'm having a hard time figuring out that sweet spot for how I should be sitting. I find myself leaning forward/arching my back to get lower like I'm on a crotch rocket or something. This results in my back starting to hurt - should my back be straight while I'm riding? If I do that, my arms are like 90% extended which makes it a bit harder for me to turn correctly, but its less strain on my back. What am I doing wrong? haha.
Thanks for any input.
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 04:34 PM

Garage
Nik,

How tall are you?

Kenny G
trock59 likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 04:46 PM

Same here. Just picked up my bike today and faced the same question. I was riding a Yamaha Nmax up until now, sitting completely up-right. I'm 5.6".

I remember Ryan from FortNine saying mentioning the same thing in his review of the Rebel, and I think he's way taller than me.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm 1,86 m tall, and I've been recommended to use a kidney belt. Helps with keeping the back more straight and less strained.
I've not experienced much pain or hassle without one so far, so I haven't gotten one yet, but might be worth looking into.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 05:25 AM

Garage
Give yourself some time since your a new rider and I'm sure you'll find the best position for you. Believe we all have different stances on the bike (height/weight), and eventually we find that "Sweet Spot" sooner or later.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 07:25 PM

You may want to rotate your handlebars closer to you. They will get a bit lower as well, but it might work for you. It worked for me.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 06:38 AM

Garage
^^^ definitely. I rotated the bars towards me and even that little bit helped with comfort a lot for me. As for the sweet spot you just have to figure it out, it's different for everyone. Personally I lean forward a bit because I feel like my back takes less of a beating compared to sitting fully upright.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jskafff View Post
^^^ definitely. I rotated the bars towards me and even that little bit helped with comfort a lot for me. As for the sweet spot you just have to figure it out, it's different for everyone. Personally I lean forward a bit because I feel like my back takes less of a beating compared to sitting fully upright.
For some reason people to tend to just leave things the way they came, and adjust themselves to fit. There isn't an adjustable part on this bike that I haven't adjusted. Twice.
Kenny G likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jskafff View Post
Hey, how does one do that exactly? A quick run down for beginners would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
zohararad likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 06:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammad.khan View Post
Hey, how does one do that exactly? A quick run down for beginners would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
To rotate the bars?

- Remove the gauge cluster (2 allen head bolts facing the front of the bike) to gain better access to the stem bolts.
- Loosen the 4 allen head bolts on the stem where the bars are held in place.
- Adjust bars to desired position.
- Re-tighten stem bolts and re-attach gauge cluster.
- If needed, loosen the allen head bolts on the levers to adjust their angle if you are not comfortable with them after the bars are rotated.

A few extra tips:
Be careful not to strip the bolts when removing, they are not the strongest. Don't force it while trying to loosen them. Make sure your allen wrench has a nice tight fit, and if they are being stubborn try tapping the allen wrench to help break the bolt loose rather than leaning on it harder.

Be careful not to strip the stem bolts when re-tightening. They don't need to be cranked down insanely tight, just make sure they're tight and nothing is moving. For re-install on parts like these I like to use a short length allen wrench to help keep me from torquing them down too hard.

If you have a 300 I'd re-check the bolts after a few rides to make sure everything is still tight since they vibrate so much. Especially on a 300, that's probably a good thing to do any time you work on the bike.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page