Almost dropped it! Lesson learned. - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kenny G
  • 1 Post By FLrebel

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Almost dropped it! Lesson learned.

I had a close call yesterday! I was leaving the house and following my usual routine. Open gate - pull through the gate - get off the bike - close gate. The first week I had my Rebel I made sure I was looking down and had the kickstand was in place before getting off the bike. I was real paranoid about dropping it! As I've gotten more comfortable, I've stopped looking down when I put the stand in place. Yesterday, I pulled through the gate, put the stand down (I thought) and started to dismount when I felt the bike tipping over! Luckily, I still had both hands on the grips and was able to yank it back upright before it made contact with the driveway!

Lesson learned! I will be **** sure to look down every time and make sure the stand is in locked in place before dismounting. My elbow is sore as **** today, I must have over-extended it when I pulled the bike back up. Small price to pay, I'm just happy I didn't scratch my baby!

Have a great day all!

-CG
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 09:12 AM

Hate to admit it but that almost happened to me once!
Thankfully the 300 is light and I have no problem yanking the bike back up before it tipped.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 10:37 AM

Garage
Eventually most riders will get into a permanent habit at looking down before trying to get off their bike.

I met a gal last week walking with a cane and asked her what happened. She told me she had the kick stand in the down position and her foot was underneath it, and when she leaned over the weight of the Harley was on her foot and she broke her foot and the Harley fell on top of her.

Some of the habits that we need to develop are learned the hard way, but fortunately you caught your bike in time.

Kenny G
CGrazFL likes this.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 11:14 AM

On the bright side this is happening to you guys on the Rebel 300 and not a bike worth 3x as much, but of course we still value these a lot being new and all. Beats almost dropping some liters which can be so heavy that you might get hurt trying to save it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 12:36 PM

Garage
Good advice here, everyone needs to have that mental checklist and review it.
Kenny G likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 07:22 PM

I lean it over onto the stand while I'm still straddling it. You know why? Cause one time I forgot to look down, and thought that wasn't a good system.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 07:37 AM

For better or worse, I use the kickstand to cut engine power, so that helps minimize this risk. I also visually check the kickstand as I lean the bike over. Before dismounting, I wiggle the handlebars to make sure the bike is stable. I often prop the bike up with a few logs. If there are accessible locking points in the parking lot, I will use cargo straps to secure the bike in place.

Stay upright, little buddy...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page