• 3 Post By JimInOz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I don't own my bike?

About two hours ago I got a call from the Honda dealer

"Hi Jim, sorry to call but you have a problem with your bike."

Me: "I don't have a problem, tell me what your problem is?"

What happened is that there were two matte grey 500s on the floor, Bike A and Bike B your Honour! (therefore two different VINs).
The dealer registered Bike A with the authorities, and then went and fixed the plates, onto Bike B!

In Australia, your "registration" covers a number plate, and COMPULSORY INSURANCE COVER!

So technically, I was riding a bike for nearly two weeks that I didn't own, was not registered, and had no insurance.

Thank <insert name of deity here> I didn't get involved in an accident or I would have been screwed.

After pulling off my plate, gathering all of the documentation for the bike I thought I'd bought I hopped in the car and shot down to the dealer.

After an hour of reversing all of the paperwork and signing for the actual bike I rode out of the showroom, and getting a new number plate (licence plate) I now own the bike and it's registered in my name with the correct VIN/Engine number.

BUT!

Because I didn't have time when I got home to contact my third party insurance company, I have no fire/theft/accident cover, so the bike will sit in the garage until Monday.

It's going to be an awful weekend here anyway so I won't miss any good riding weather.

So a tip to all owners. Check your paperwork against the VIN on your bike. Just in case .

The only good thing to come from this?

I got a fresh number plate WITHOUT the crap holes the dealer drilled in the original one.

Cheers

Jim
Lyoko, Firecracker and OhioRebel like this.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 08:46 AM

Garage
WOW, that's crazy! At least the dealer was honest enough to admit they made a mistake. Thankfully nothing happened that would have gotten you into any trouble.

-CG
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
What a bizzare thing to happen.
I can only guess perhaps they sold the other bike then realised the mismatch in paperwork & Vin?

Twizz
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 09:50 AM

It probably doesn't work this way in Australia, but with my insurance companies, if I contact them when they're not in the office, they are allowed to backdate my insurance. So if I bought a vehicle tomorrow (Sat.) and sent them an email with the details (ie, make, model, vin, miles, etc), then got into an accident Sunday, I would be covered.
YMMV, everyone. I haven't tested it. Just a thought.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 11:50 PM

Garage
OH CRAP! Thank goodness it got picked up. You really would have been in a bother if you'd caused an accident.
Thanks for the heads up I double checked my details.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 08:40 AM

Garage
Welcome to forum from an other Melbourne rebel rider.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page