• 1 Post By Strawdog
  • 3 Post By zohararad
  • 2 Post By Thrilla-Detroit

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rebel 500 - Camping - longish ride

Hey team:

I'm really obsessed with the idea moto-camping and wanna take to 500 to northern MI. From my house it takes about 4 hours by car... I'm a newbie and plan on taking a bunch of smaller - non freeway - roads.. I know it's gonna be a much longer trip on the bike and plan on taking breaks every 60 to 90 minutes etc -- I'm looking for advise on what I should be preparing for [and if you think is a crazy/stupid idea]. One thing that comes to mind is something to make that saddle more comfy, like an Airhawk.. Would love to hear your thoughts!! Thanks all!

((( The Thrilla ))) D E T R O I T
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
As a newbie, you have to be very warry when driving on such roads, since those tend to hold alot of dangers you normaly don't encounter on "normal" roads with normal/heacy traffic.
There can be dirt, gravel, leafs, rocks, and etc on the road, making it slippery and dangerous for a bike. Especially in turns, since you might not be able to look far enough ahead to be aware of whatevers in your lane to be able to react soon enough.
Farmers might be working with heavy machinery on the road or close to it, and maybe they don't usually see much traffic and don't care about being mindfull of others driving there.
And such roads can be pretty thight and narrow, so meeting cars/trucks/tractors might take more of the road than they should, especially in turns/corners, and in worst case they could press you into the ditch.
Turns can be sharper than you expect them to be, so better safe than sorry, keep the speed down in the turns, and pull off again on the straights.

In short; Always expect the un-expected when riding. You've gotta drive for everybody else too on the road, not just yourself.
Because yes, someone might be over in your lane, making you crash, it was their fault, but what good does it do you if they did something wrong, when you're the one paying for it with your life..?
Kenny G likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 09:00 PM
mmm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrilla-Detroit View Post
Hey team:

I'm really obsessed with the idea moto-camping and wanna take to 500 to northern MI. From my house it takes about 4 hours by car... I'm a newbie and plan on taking a bunch of smaller - non freeway - roads.. I know it's gonna be a much longer trip on the bike and plan on taking breaks every 60 to 90 minutes etc -- I'm looking for advise on what I should be preparing for [and if you think is a crazy/stupid idea]. One thing that comes to mind is something to make that saddle more comfy, like an Airhawk.. Would love to hear your thoughts!! Thanks all!
Great idea... I did a 3 hours car trip in 4 hours because I made 3 stops. I realized that I can bear the seat for 1.5 hours. Look a fuel gauge and always be on the safe side...
Thrilla-Detroit likes this.

Rebel CMX500 -- Black (First New Bike)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just bought a windscreen on ebay. Gonna add luggage rack etc. Also, trying an Airhawk to see if it will help with that not so comfy seat.
Kenny G likes this.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I always carry one of these puncture kits like in the pic below

For a long trip It's a must.
Attached Images

Kenny G, Lyoko and Thrilla-Detroit like this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 10:11 AM

I may be inexperienced but I have taken a couple trips north of Toronto to Algonquin Park (round trips ranged between 550-800km) and never had any issues doing it in one full day. Yes by the end the seat starts wearing me out but overall its not that bad. I don't stop as much as I should (really only to fill up gas) so making stops more frequently should alleviate that issue.

One thing you need to worry about is always making sure you have fuel. I had almost run out at one point since i was enjoying the ride and not paying attention.

That being said, I love riding out in the country way more than I do in the city. Less traffic so I don't have to worry about people not checking blind spots or pulling out in front of me as well as the beautiful nature and fresh air.

Post some pictures of your trip!
Kenny G and Thrilla-Detroit like this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 07:30 PM

I grew up in GR, Michigan and traveled all the 6 or 8 counties surrounding Kent county on a Honda 175XL. Later I explored the state on my Yamaha 750XS. The state highways are great throughout including in the UP. I took a week on a back roads trip up into the UP then a one day return on the interstates staying ahead of an incoming storm. Beautiful state.
I'm looking forward to getting my Rebel to explore New Hampshire. There is hardly a straight road in the state.
Thrilla-Detroit likes this.

John

"DEUS REGNAT EXULTET TERRA"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawdog View Post
I grew up in GR, Michigan and traveled all the 6 or 8 counties surrounding Kent county on a Honda 175XL. Later I explored the state on my Yamaha 750XS. The state highways are great throughout including in the UP. I took a week on a back roads trip up into the UP then a one day return on the interstates staying ahead of an incoming storm. Beautiful state.
I'm looking forward to getting my Rebel to explore New Hampshire. There is hardly a straight road in the state.

That's awesome @Strawdog . I plan on doin a UP solo ride/camp next summer. I'll def hit you up for some suggestions! Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 01:14 AM

@Thrilla-Detroit was thinking of taking a similar trip here in Israel - Tel Aviv to Eilat, around 350km in each direction, mostly country roads with some twisties, and a lot of desert. As a newbie I did some asking around and here are some of the suggestions I got or came up with:

1. Find a riding buddy - If you can manage this, it'll help in passing time during breaks, sharing experiences, and add a bit of confidence in case something does go wrong
2. Get a quick puncture fix kit (mentioned above) - a pressurized can with liquid that fixes punctures in tubeless tires
3. Plan your trip ahead in terms of stops for rest and fueling. As said above - make sure you always have enough fuel
4. AAA service card in case you get stuck - I have that with my insurance, so wherever I am, I can always phone a tow truck
5. Weather and season planning - relevant in Israel due to hot dry summer & summer vacation which clogs the roads with families going on holiday. My plan was to drive early morning or late evening to avoid most of the 4 wheeled would-be murderers, and most of the desert heat
6. Route scouting - If possible, scout the route you're planning to take by car, to familiarize yourself with potential risks, blind spots, etc.
7. Supplies - get a few energy bars & a bottle of water in your back pack, so you don't ride while thirsty or hungry which can be very distracting and potentially dangerous
8. Prep rides - If you can, try taking shorter rides on closer parts of the route / similar roads to get accustomed to the route, and also test your limits

Looking forward to seeing some pictures
Kenny G, Lyoko and Thrilla-Detroit like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zohararad View Post
@Thrilla-Detroit was thinking of taking a similar trip here in Israel - Tel Aviv to Eilat, around 350km in each direction, mostly country roads with some twisties, and a lot of desert. As a newbie I did some asking around and here are some of the suggestions I got or came up with:

1. Find a riding buddy - If you can manage this, it'll help in passing time during breaks, sharing experiences, and add a bit of confidence in case something does go wrong

2. Get a quick puncture fix kit (mentioned above) - a pressurized can with liquid that fixes punctures in tubeless tires

3. Plan your trip ahead in terms of stops for rest and fueling. As said above - make sure you always have enough fuel

4. AAA service card in case you get stuck - I have that with my insurance, so wherever I am, I can always phone a tow truck

5. Weather and season planning - relevant in Israel due to hot dry summer & summer vacation which clogs the roads with families going on holiday. My plan was to drive early morning or late evening to avoid most of the 4 wheeled would-be murderers, and most of the desert heat

6. Route scouting - If possible, scout the route you're planning to take by car, to familiarize yourself with potential risks, blind spots, etc.

7. Supplies - get a few energy bars & a bottle of water in your back pack, so you don't ride while thirsty or hungry which can be very distracting and potentially dangerous

8. Prep rides - If you can, try taking shorter rides on closer parts of the route / similar roads to get accustomed to the route, and also test your limits

Looking forward to seeing some pictures

Great advice @zohararad ! Really appreciate it. And everyone else's input. You should come her and be my riding buddy!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lyoko and zohararad like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page