Tach or Shift Indicator? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Tach or Shift Indicator?

Which do you feel is more important for a new rider? Currently I'm having issues with knowing exactly when to shift (especially with the stock exhaust). On top of that sometimes I'm not 100% sure which gear I'm in, I'm trying to decide which would be more important for me - a tachometer, or a shift indicator.

Any info/advice is appreciated.

Thank you!
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 07:59 PM

If you had to pick one- the tach. I got both but now that I've put on 2k miles I am in tune with my bike and can remove both.
Kenny G and Thrilla-Detroit like this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 08:04 PM

Garage
What tach and indicator are you using / where did you get them? I am looking for one or both.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 08:24 PM

Garage
If I wanted to get one of them, I would go for the tach, easier to learn on when to shift I would think.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 09:50 PM

Garage
I got this one. Just wraps around the spark plug wire and I stuck it on the tank label. Works great rain or shine. As a new rider it's definitely been super helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B010N...hlL&ref=plSrch
Twizzian likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jskafff View Post
I got this one. Just wraps around the spark plug wire and I stuck it on the tank label. Works great rain or shine. As a new rider it's definitely been super helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B010N...hlL&ref=plSrch
That's very similar to the one I got, only 1/2 the price. Arggh!
And the gear indicator is on eBay. I got this one-green- but would rather have had blue if it was available then. I would steer clear of the cheaper magnetic ones though. Not sure exactly why though.

Ebay
Kenny G likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 04:51 PM

I've felt that not having either made me learn to "feel" the bike faster. Can't describe it, but not having a tach or shift indicator made me learn when to shift better and also what gear I'm in. I vote to save your $ for other stuff and be one with your bike.
Mr Jay Blaze likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 05:28 PM

Garage
I have ordered a gear indicator from Twizzian's contact in Thailand.

I have been riding for a few years and the Rebel is not my first motorbike. I am having some difficulty when coming into a stop or turning a 90 degree corner as to whether I am in first or second gear so I am going to try the gear indicator.

Kenny G
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 12:15 AM

I just ordered the Idea gear indicator for $44.99 on Amazon. I will update you guys after installing and testing it out. I'm looking forward to having this.
Kenny G likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 05:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayitsnik View Post
Which do you feel is more important for a new rider? Currently I'm having issues with knowing exactly when to shift (especially with the stock exhaust). On top of that sometimes I'm not 100% sure which gear I'm in, I'm trying to decide which would be more important for me - a tachometer, or a shift indicator.

Any info/advice is appreciated.

Thank you!
You need neither a tach nor a shift indicator (seriously!). For new riders especially, it's better to ride without depending on one, because it forces you to feel what your machine is doing.Lots of new riders like to overthink things and pay way too much attention to RPM....and you can't ride like that. It has to be instinctive. And it will become that way if you practice it.

Don't ride by numbers, you will be a menace to yourself and others if you are constantly looking at the tach. Looking at your instrument panel means taking your eyes off the road. It is something you should only do when you have a piece of straight clear road where you can afford to take your eyes off the road to check your speed/RPM.

Best advice: donít over-rev, shift up early. If you up-shift too early, you will know, the bike wonít accelerate fast enough and may even buck.

You must learn to ride by sound and by the way the bike feels under your butt. That takes practice, youíll eventually know the power ban of your particular machine and where it purrs.

Safe riding.

Lyoko and JimInOz like this.

Last edited by Shaun; 02-01-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page