kick starter? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

kick starter?

In the past, motorcycles had a manual kick starter, even some with electric starters had a kick starter backup. From what I've gathered, it seems that the Rebels (both 300 & 500) do not have a kick starter option. So, what happens if your battery dies while you're out somewhere? Is there a way to use one of those compact Li-ion jumper packs to start the bike or are you stuck in calling AAA? Thanks!
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 03:35 PM

I take care of my battery with a tender to avoid such events. First signs of it failing and a new one is fitted (quite a rare event itself).
Kenny G, Odin, dsctr3 and 1 others like this.

Just do it! (I did: 2017 Rebel 500; 2014 MT-07)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 05:11 PM

id say buy this. https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...69784302&psc=1 if you ever do get stuck look up push start on youtube. hope you are in good shape if you have to
Kenny G and dsctr3 like this.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

OK, you're basically saying that whenever you're not using the bike (ie. riding only twice a week for example) to remove the seat and connect a float charger to the battery. It's kind of a pain to have to do that each time. It would be nice if there was an external connector to connect a charger to it (or use a small jumper pack, especially if the battery died after you went somewhere a long way from home). I guess the thing to do is to periodically test the battery to make sure it meets the 90 CCA rating of the battery. I found that most lead-acid batteries (including SLA/AGM type) will test well above their CCA rating so once it gets close to it's actual rating, it's probably time to look for a new one.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 01:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Fuchikami View Post
OK, you're basically saying that whenever you're not using the bike (ie. riding only twice a week for example) to remove the seat and connect a float charger to the battery. It's kind of a pain to have to do that each time. It would be nice if there was an external connector to connect a charger to it (or use a small jumper pack, especially if the battery died after you went somewhere a long way from home). I guess the thing to do is to periodically test the battery to make sure it meets the 90 CCA rating of the battery. I found that most lead-acid batteries (including SLA/AGM type) will test well above their CCA rating so once it gets close to it's actual rating, it's probably time to look for a new one.
there are quick connectors that you can wire to the battery and leave tucked inside a crevice, like the side cover for example. no need to remove the seat every time. that would be a pain, especially given the bolts you have to remove, instead of a key-removed seat.
when you don't wanna ride, and keep it charged, you just (reveal) the connector end, and plug it in to the tender unit
Kenny G and R80rt like this.

2017 Honda Rebel 500
2018 KTM Duke 390
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 06:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jizzy6879 View Post
id say buy this. https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...69784302&psc=1 if you ever do get stuck look up push start on youtube. hope you are in good shape if you have to
I use that same battery tender on all bikes
Kenny G and R80rt like this.

You only have today, go for a ride

Ride and be Free

2018 Rebel 300
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM

Had my bike almost 2 years and I've never charged my battery, I do ride once a week though, minimum. I haven't gotten stranded yet. I feel like I'd be ok with it at this point, shes had a good run. haha, just get a battery tender though if you're worried.
Kenny G likes this.

2016 Rebel 500 non ABS
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM

Its called push starting.
Key on, in neutral, you on one side run and push the bike forward with clutch pulled in - yep its not easy.
When you gave it your all, jump on and quickly shift into first and quickly let the clutch out.
Repeat if it doesn't start.

The bikes with a kick starter were from the 70s and earlier.
With the better batteries they are not needed any longer.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

Garage
I can't remember my last kick start bike and my mind is a little fuzzy but as I remember it - you can not kick start a bike that has a dead battery.
R80rt likes this.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM

Sorry, but that would be the reason TO KICK start it - dead battery.
I had a bike with both kick starter and start button, and if the thing didn't start with the battery I'd just kick it over.