Seat padding advice... - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Seat padding advice...

Over the weekend I decided to visit my daughter who lives in Front Royal, VA. Living in North Georgia this allowed me to take the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive all the way to her house...around 1400 miles round trip and despite the trip being awesome I have grown to hate the seat on my rebel. I'm going to have it padded and since I have see a few others here do the same I'm curious how much padding you all had added and your thoughts on the difference additional padding made in your comfort.

Thanks!
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:16 PM

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Browning View Post
Over the weekend I decided to visit my daughter who lives in Front Royal, VA. Living in North Georgia this allowed me to take the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive all the way to her house...around 1400 miles round trip and despite the trip being awesome I have grown to hate the seat on my rebel. I'm going to have it padded and since I have see a few others here do the same I'm curious how much padding you all had added and your thoughts on the difference additional padding made in your comfort.

Thanks!
I have 3 inches of foam added and it is not too much, depends on your height and inseam length as to how tall the seat can be. If you can afford it have a gel pad put in the foam before they make the new cover.
Kenny
James Browning likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 12:24 AM

Kenny
Are you saying that your seat is 3" thicker than it was before?, or that 3" of foam was added but compressed down so the new seat thickness is maybe 1" thicker?
I know almost nothing about re-upholstery, sorry.
I am in agreement with James, something has to be done to the original seat.
But $300-400 for a brand name new seat is a bit more than I really want to pay.
James Browning likes this.

Dan
2018 Honda Rebel 500
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:22 AM

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBad View Post
Kenny
Are you saying that your seat is 3" thicker than it was before?, or that 3" of foam was added but compressed down so the new seat thickness is maybe 1" thicker?
I know almost nothing about re-upholstery, sorry.
I am in agreement with James, something has to be done to the original seat.
But $300-400 for a brand name new seat is a bit more than I really want to pay.
The seat is now 3 inches taller after compressing the foam.
I paid $162.00 including sales tax.

Kenny G
DanBad and James Browning like this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 04:34 AM

I had an upholsterer add 2" of very stiff foam to my OEM seat and then before he put the final cover on I sculpted out a concaved section for my pelvic bones. It worked out better than I could have hoped. Plus now I sit further away from the foot pegs and my legs are so much more comfortable. I love my new seat. Cost me $150.00. Worth every penny.

modmaster

2018 Rebel 500,custom solo seat,Delkevic exhaust,center stand,gear indicator,Triumph handlebars,shift peg adapter,aftermarket foot pegs,insulated bar ends,Hepko Becker backrest-fender rack,throttle lock,side stand ext.,red wheel stripes,National cycle sport screen,tank pads
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 07:01 AM

I used quite firm 1/2" foam sheets bought on ebay for next to nothing. The first objective was to get rid of the dip. So, I have a pad which is curved underneath and flat on top. I have added about 2". The pad has a cut out down the middle on some sheets for the benefit of my soft bits, and a cut out at the rear for the coccyx. I have a little more padding under the 'sit bones' than elsewhere. My rides are less than 3 hrs and all is well with the posterior. I wanted to keep it all removable so I have not covered it properly (as I could do and ought to), though it is covered.

I used a gel pad and foam on an original MT-03 and got a better result with more foam on top of that.
I have changed every bike seat (which is not many).

What I have learned is that we are all different....

PS You have brought back very happy memories of driving the Skyline Drive with friends on holiday from UK years ago.

Just do it! (I did: 2017 Rebel 500; 2014 MT-07)

Last edited by Robble10; 09-05-2019 at 07:09 AM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info ya'll! Adding padding move you noticeably away from the handlebars? At 5'9" right now the handle bars feel good but my legs can feel a little cramped so the thought of some padding and a little more leg room sounds wonderful but I also don't want to move the discomfort to my arms/shoulders.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 10:50 AM

Warning about the gel pads. I used to have one for my SilverWing and noticed if you leave it out in the sun it will get very hot and hold the heat for a long time.
Kenny G and R80rt like this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:38 PM

May I suggest you try any pad on the seat and see how it affects your seating position in relation to pegs and bars.
R80rt likes this.

Just do it! (I did: 2017 Rebel 500; 2014 MT-07)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 12:03 AM

Garage
You probably don't want to hear this but if you're doing that kind of long distance riding you owe it to yourself to try a Corbin seat. I know the gunfighter seat is not to everyone's liking but now they make the gunfighter and lady seat that is really nice looking. Four hundred bucks is a lot of coin but I'm sure your rear is worth it.
Odin likes this.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page