• 2 Post By Odin
  • 5 Post By Prgrmerror
  • 1 Post By NukaBuzz
  • 5 Post By Odin
  • 1 Post By flyinbrianbmx

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Honda Official Accessories

Apologies if this has already been brought up and this is by no means a criticism of Honda but does anyone else think that they missed a bit of a trick by producing so little accessories and add-ons?

The website features the tagline "Express your individuality", yet the UK accessory brochure offers only 6 items to do that. You could argue that the aftermarket parts are for that but I feel there are so little quality options outside Thailand, the only one that comes to mind is De Pretto Moto.

Quite a lot of the discussion on this forum and the Honda Rebel Reddit page seems to be about accessories, add-ons and customization so there's definitely a market for it. I just feel like they've missed out on an easy opportunity. What do you guys think?
Odin, R80rt and modmaster like this.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:24 PM

Garage
Honda accessories are a bit on the pricey side, I doubt they could compete with aftermarket on very many things. It would be nice if they could.
NukaBuzz likes this.

Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool.

2018 Rebel 500
Old 08-25-2019, 09:16 PM

Garage
to an extent yes, but as R80 said they probably couldn't compete they'd charge a hefty price for licensed Manufacturer gear etc..
when there's plenty of companies (and more to come i'm sure) that are already making stuff, or we're modding things to fit because we want them NOW and nobody is making it yet.
they made a quality product with their name on it, and that's probably good enough for them in all reality.
NukaBuzz and R80rt like this.

2017 Honda Rebel 500
2018 KTM Duke 390
Old 08-25-2019, 10:25 PM

Garage
I agree with you Odin. Most of the things I wanted had to be made by me. Itís too bad that these bikes are in their 3rd year and still there arenít many quality after market add ons available. They are missing an opportunity and we are getting the shaft. Most of the available parts Iíve seen arenít very high quality.
Kenny G, Odin, dsctr3 and 2 others like this.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

I do like the idea that they are happy with what they've made and that's enough. I suppose its better to have a solid bike that you can add a few extras to to make it your own rather than having to buy additional parts because of a poor foundation.

Hopefully the aftermarket parts sector flourishes as time goes on. Cheers for the input guys!
Odin likes this.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prgrmerror View Post
I agree with you Odin. Most of the things I wanted had to be made by me. Itís too bad that these bikes are in their 3rd year and still there arenít many quality after market add ons available. They are missing an opportunity and we are getting the shaft. Most of the available parts Iíve seen arenít very high quality.
yeah I hope some companies will see the opportunity/ sales numbers etc and start making things. sometimes it takes a few years for them to be sure a model will stick around so it'll be worthwhile in the long run to make. as long as the Rebel name has been around and few generations they've gone thru, I feel like they should definitely get on board and make what people are buying.
some of the Thai stuff certainly fits the bill but as you said not of the highest quality. be nice to have some of those things but made more sturdy/reliably.

2017 Honda Rebel 500
2018 KTM Duke 390
Old 08-27-2019, 09:02 PM

I find the whole situation fairly bizarre because many bikes, including small ones like Honda's own Grom have such healthy aftermarket support.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I find the whole situation fairly bizarre because many bikes, including small ones like Honda's own Grom have such healthy aftermarket support.
The Grom phase blows my mind haha. I actually did my MSF safety course on one, everyone in the class refused to ride it, and there was exactly enough bikes for everyone. So I had to give up the bike I was sitting on (a Suzuki TU 250) to this girl that was dead set on never riding a Grom apparently. Jokes on her, Groms are like real life cheat codes in a MSF Class, LOL. She ended up failing the class and I literally got a perfect score haha. I've heard from multiple people that on a super curvy road the Groms will dominate any bike. Just imagine chilling on a beautiful day going down a curvy road and some dude on a Honda freaking Grom with a giant neon green mohawk, jinco jeans, and wife beater absolutely smokes you. I'd probably go insane and drive right off a cliff...
Kenny G likes this.

2016 Rebel 500 non ABS
Old 08-28-2019, 09:09 AM

Just some crash bungs would be good from someone. Evotech said they were going to look at the bike at EICMA show last year, but nothing has materialised yet.

Just do it! (I did: 2017 Rebel 500; 2014 MT-07)