300 W/ TBR Install - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

300 W/ TBR Install

Hi all,

Finally got my TBR in Ceramic Black. When I say finally...I mean literally 5 days after ordering, but I'm impatient. Shipped from Apex Racing somewhere in US, Kentucky I think. Bought on e Bay, good deal overall. Global shipping program took care of import fees and taxes for crossing the border to Ontario, so it arrived to my doorstep without any additional fees as noted.

Box arrived damaged, but the contents were intact and well packed with foam all around.

Installation took 15 mins total - super easy. A little advice, take pics before installation for reference. Also, the tip doesn't go all the way in. Giggidy. Small gap at the end of the baffle where it meets the header pipe. Seems I may need silicone sealant, which the instructions call for. However, I did clamp it pretty tight - we'll see.

I attached a vid and some pics, but will post a proper video when I get a chance to warm it up. This was a cold start after sitting a few days, sorry didn't want to give it gas just yet.

I'll also provide a review and highlight any issues for those looking to get this in the future. First impressions...man you guys weren't kidding! Videos don't do justice. This thing is flipping LOUUUUUD. I could feel the garage walls shaking. Not winning over any neighbors, but wtv who cares. I don't think I'll ever get tired of this sound, but to each their own and I'm used loud set ups.

https://youtu.be/CM0BLoY-A_0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190730_194730_1564534660176.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	29259   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190730_194718_1564534696130.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	29261   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190730_194713_1564534768931.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	29263   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190730_170730_1564534806616.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	29265  
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 02:33 AM

Just finished installing mine too. I also put some high-temp silicon sealant just to be extra safe so yeah I haven't turned it on and heard the sound yet (waiting for the sealant to completely dry) but I just can't wait to ride my baby tonight
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3054.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	29267  
Kenny G, Prgrmerror and R80rt like this.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndoRebel View Post
Just finished installing mine too. I also put some high-temp silicon sealant just to be extra safe so yeah I haven't turned it on and heard the sound yet (waiting for the sealant to completely dry) but I just can't wait to ride my baby tonight [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Hey congrats...just noticed you put the clamp a little too high up, it needs to go further down. I found that made the leak better. But I definitely still need a sealant.

Did you find the tip didn't go all the way in on the pipe to where it touched the OEM header pipe "rim"? (So much wrong with this sentence).

How and where did you apply the sealant?
Kenny G likes this.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Full review:

Get this exhaust. Absolutely amazing sound quality. Very easy install as highlighted in my original post (under 15 mins with 2 12mm wrenches. Even if you're completely mechanically inept, you can do this). Worth every penny IMO. It has transformed the bike completely. The sound matches the look 100%, and it no longer sounds week AF.

Installation Tip:

After you install, run the bike and put your hand just next to the clamp to see if you can feel some air coming out. More than likely you will. The tip doesn't go all the way in and flush with the rim at the header pipe. I got a silicone seal and put it around the clamp before tightening, and right around the tip of the muffler where it clamps. Then I pushed the clamp as far down as possible to where it was touching the rim and tightened it. Ran it for a bit and there was just a tiny bit of air still coming out, but zero leak after the seal bonded when the exhaust got hot. Picture attached.

Sound quality:

If this is a commuter bike that you start up at 6am every day and you live in a dense neighborhood, then this is not the right exhaust for you - you will wake up many toddlers and piss off neighbors. If you take this out for joy rides then this is exactly the right exhaust for you as is. I have no interest in making it quieter with a baffle. The difference is out of this world. I love the way it rumbles a little when you let off the gas, and it's so awesome to finally be able to hear when you need to shift instead of wind noise constantly anything above 3rd gear (full face helmet). Not a single video has done this exhaust justice. However loud you think it is...it's probably 10x louder off camera in person. I'm still getting my neighborhood used to it, so I hit the killswitch before pulling in, but really it's not obnoxious either. It doesn't feel like you're purposely trying to be loud...it just feels like if people never heard you pull in before with the stock muffler, they would totally say "yeah figured it would sounds like this".

It's got a deep tone, and I don't find it to be raspy or fart canish...

Note: sometimes when slowing down you do get some droning and it punctures your ear drums momentarily, but not in a bad way and it's not constant.

Performance:

Well, I'm happy to report that I didn't feel any "dead/flat spots" on it. Idles fine, no engine light, doesn't feel like it's struggling in any way. Absolutely zero gains either though. It drives exactly the same to me, although I found myself keeping it in gear longer and getting a few km/hr more with 1st and second gear. Not sure if this is performance gain, or just the fact that I can actually hear it clearly now as opposed to just feeling nothing but vibration with no clue where the red line is. Speaking of - vibration seems to have gone down for some reason...

In any case, no power loss or gain. Same bike, just feels nicer to go through the gears on. Shifting is more pleasurable IMO up and down, and it may "feel" faster, or that you're getting up to speed quicker, but it's not.

Looks:

It sticks out and up a bit more than OEM, but the finish is quite nice in the ceramic black. It looks like this was the stock muffler on this bike. Nice high quality finish and design. No complaints there.

Verdict:

This exhaust looks and sounds like it belongs on this particular bike. Don't be scared about being too loud, because there are louder bikes and cars out there, but be conscious of what you are using your bike for and you'll be fine. Daily commuter? Probably move away or silence it. And if you're in a neighborhood, don't pin it. I didn't get any dirty looks driving normal...even from old folk on their evening stroll. Again, it sounds like it belongs...

Get. It.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190731_202437_1564623538099.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	29283   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190731_202444_1564623558906.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	29285  
Kenny G and R80rt like this.

Last edited by SC48; 07-31-2019 at 09:43 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Couple hundred miles with the TBR already. Longest non stop run was about 3 hours. Haven't changed my mind about it even slightly. Full face helmet seems to be ok to protect ears from the very aggressive sound, although sometimes I wear ear plugs, but it's not necessary (only on longer and if I know I'll be going on higher speed runs, just protection from wind whistle really). With ear plugs you can still hear the exhaust note very clearly.

No complaints from neighbors, and passed by several cops and I got nothing but nods (that could be very relevant to what city you live in). Idling Harley's at stop lights are still louder, so nothing to worry about.

I'm happy with my choice and can easily justify the price. It's all about the experience, and if a few hundred $ takes your experience up to 11 then so be it wtv. No regrets.

Cheers
Kenny G likes this.

Last edited by SC48; 08-04-2019 at 07:28 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC48 View Post
Couple hundred miles with the TBR already. Longest non stop run was about 3 hours. Haven't changed my mind about it even slightly. Full face helmet seems to be ok to protect ears from the very aggressive sound, although sometimes I wear ear plugs, but it's not necessary (only on longer and if I know I'll be going on higher speed runs, just protection from wind whistle really). With ear plugs you can still hear the exhaust note very clearly.

No complaints from neighbors, and passed by several cops and I got nothing but nods (that could be very relevant to what city you live in). Idling Harley's at stop lights are still louder, so nothing to worry about.

I'm happy with my choice and can easily justify the price. It's all about the experience, and if a few hundred $ takes your experience up to 11 then so be it wtv. No regrets.

Cheers
I totally agree. Have had the same experience so far (after about 1 week).
Kenny G likes this.

Mike

new rider < 1 year
rebel 500 ABS
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:56 AM

Yeah I just realized that after my mechanic friend saw the picture too so I lowered the clamp down a bit and tightened it on the middle. And holy smoke, this thing sounds like a beast! After 100 miles of daily riding (including going through many bumpy roads), this thing still performs well and no air leaks or performance drop whatsoever. But overall, my experience is mostly positive and SC48 have pretty much summarized my thoughts about this TBR slip-on
Kenny G likes this.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Here's an onboard vid for sound reference. Don't have a GoPro...so I improvised and recorded on a potato from inside my mesh jacket...

https://youtu.be/2G05ihYG7Jo
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:30 PM

Does anyone here have the baffle installed on the TBR exhaust for the 300?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page