New (for her) 500 - needs some love - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

New (for her) 500 - needs some love

Hey Everyone,
Yesterday, my wife and I picked up her first motorcycle - a 2017 Rebel 500 ABS. Mechanically, it seems in good condition with under a thousand miles on it.

Before I can get it inspected for the state registration, I'll need to put together a license plate / taillight / blinker solution. And before I can do that, I'll need some help from some of the folks here to piece together a few things.
The previous owner did a little bit of customization that we'll need to redo, but thankfully it's mostly kept to the underseat / tail area. They removed the rear fender - and my wife really likes the look of it without the fender - but it seems like it was done in a bit of a hurry, there are a few fasteners in the underseat area that are missing, as well as a few missing panels that are just waiting to let a bunch of water and road grime into the battery compartment, the replacement taillight was pretty weak, and the wiring wasn't very secure.

Here's a photo album of the 'problem' area. I've numbered the photos in the descriptions, would some of you guys mind taking a look and replying to the questions if you could? I'm mostly looking to seal up that under-seat area as close to stock as I can. Once I get that done, I'm planning on making some sort of customer light/license plate / blinker mount to go behind / slightly above the rear seat.

Album link:
https://imgur.com/a/bbdj34s

I've put a similiar post in /r/HondaRebel300, so I apologize if this is repeat for any of the folks ove there.
Thanks All!

TL;DR - Used bike, needs love. Can you help answer the questions in the photo album?
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:46 PM

Garage
Duff,
The first thing that you need is a Honda Rebel 500 Service Manual.
What you need to do to the bike is not that complicated but it will be awfully hard for most of us to verbalize the instructions.
After acquiring the Service Manual you can go to Ron Ayers, or one of the parts places, to find out the pitch and length of the fasteners that you will need.
After knowing what you need for fasteners I would go to a good nut & bolt wholesaler in your area to acquire the bolts.
Honda uses lousy fasteners and some of us have replace many of the OEM fasteners with aftermarket fasteners.

Kenny G
Tree and duffmander like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
Duff,
The first thing that you need is a Honda Rebel 500 Service Manual.
What you need to do to the bike is not that complicated but it will be awfully hard for most of us to verbalize the instructions.
After acquiring the Service Manual you can go to Ron Ayers, or one of the parts places, to find out the pitch and length of the fasteners that you will need.
After knowing what you need for fasteners I would go to a good nut & bolt wholesaler in your area to acquire the bolts.
Honda uses lousy fasteners and some of us have replace many of the OEM fasteners with aftermarket fasteners.

Kenny G
Thanks @Kenny G ! - I've got a pdf of the service manual and I've spent most of the day going through it. Unfortunately, it's very detailed in the parts that I already have down, but lacks detail in the parts that I'm missing :/ - it's not helping as much as I would've hoped. Fortunately, with a trip to the hardware store I was able to identify two of the bolt sizes and grabbed them from an ACE in town.

Unfortunately though that still leaves quite a bit of unknown on this bike. I get it on verbalizing the instructions - I wonder if someone could take a few of pictures (color - as compared to the service manuals greyscale) of how things are supposed to be connected.

In particular, I think i've narrowed down my needs a bit.
1) The plastic "bin" that holds the battery / fusebox. Mine is connected towards the front of the bike, but the rear is just floating freely - not connected to anything. How should this be secured to the bike? Additionally - the sides of mine are completely open with two empty holes that according to the service manual - there are bolts that should be in there - but again nothing to fasten it to. Pictures 11 & 12.

2) The metal piece to which the rear of the seat fastens. On my bike that is also free-floating (save for the wiring harness that goes to the heat-sink underneath it). The bottom of this piece is pictured in No. 6. According to the service manual - two bolts fasten this - but again my bike has nothign to which to fasten it.

3) The battery cover. This too is currently free-floating - not attached to anything. I see two holes where it should be fastened - and it appears in the service manual that it uses fastening clips instead of screws - but my bike has no holes to attach it to.

The common theme is things are free-floating; i'm hoping theres only one or two pieces that i'm missing - and that is what ties the rest of the bike together; i'm guessing this was thrown out in the removal of the rear fender.

EDIT: content

Last edited by duffmander; 06-16-2019 at 07:34 PM. Reason: content
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

My current theory is that when a previous owner removed the rear fender - there are two large brackets (one on each side) that were removed as part of it - and that those would solve my problem. It's just a theory at this point though. I thought there would be more take-offs in the classifieds from folks removing theirs and putting shorty kits on. I'll put a WTB there shortly - but if anyone wants to sell their old fender brackets - keep me in mind please!
Kenny G likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:21 PM

Okay, so I just took a few pics for you. You seem to have the right parts. All of your problems mechanically (not electrically) are boiling down to picture number 6 and that piece.

That piece, should be this top plate only in your pic the part is upside down. The connectors should be facing the ground/fender. Those tiny little push pin little things are what the top battery plate (pic #7) connects to. There should be two pins that have like a pop up center, you shove the pin in the hole, and then push the pop up thing down. It looks like those temperature things that are in your Thanksgiving turkey that pop that red spike out, only this will be in reverse. You shove the thing in, then push that spikey thing down (only it'll have a flat top on it not actually be spikey on the top. ) The piece in pic #17 also attaches to piece #6. Connect all of those together and the battery area should look right.

Now the reason there's that gap on the side is because you don't have the fender on (and you didn't have those other pieces on and #17 is part of that gap) The fender has a metal trim that fits next to piece #17 and the frame itself.

If you look on the other side of the bike, you should also see the antifreeze container that will have a little white window that says "Upper" and "Lower". If that's not there you're going to have some serious issues as you're coolant tank is missing.

I can't help you with electrical as I haven't taken any of my electrical apart, but there are quite a few people on here who have redone their rear brick light and indicators, so search for that and you'll likely be able to find which wires go to what.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190616_185946.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	28473   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190616_190017.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	28475   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190616_185554.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	28477   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190616_185610.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	28479   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190616_185632.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	28481  

Last edited by holypotatoes; 06-16-2019 at 08:24 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:14 PM

Garage
Potatoes,

You did an excellent job putting into word what I was thinking.

Kenny
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
Potatoes,

You did an excellent job putting into word what I was thinking.

Kenny
Thanks Kenny. I appreciate that.
duffmander likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

@holypotatoes thank you so much for this!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffmander View Post
@holypotatoes thank you so much for this!
those open spots are because there are no brackets for the seat, in my tail delete vid I show that.
duffmander likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Braybrook View Post
those open spots are because there are no brackets for the seat, in my tail delete vid I show that.

Your video is really what made me realize it - I was too slow to come here to mention it then had to run to work. Thanks so much for that video! I'm trying to source some of those support arms now; there's a shorty fender w/ arms in classified here I just sent a pm about. Thanks again for that video! I'm a little embarrassed it took me this long to figure out :/

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page