Anyone here use a 10w-40 without a problem instead of the 10w-30 recommended? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 6Likes
  • 6 Post By iflylo01
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 27
Anyone here use a 10w-40 without a problem instead of the 10w-30 recommended?

Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 10w-40 is more readily available in my area and it costs around $10 per quart. The Honda Pro Full Synthetic with the right weight (10w-30), I have to drive 30 minutes away to get, and it cost around 15-20 bucks per quart.



Anyone using the 10w-40 weight with no problem? I know it's a wider range, so technically it should work without a problem, but I am paranoid it might mess up something in the long run. Plus, may void the 1-year warranty.



The Mobil 1 Full Synthetic fits all the specs other than the weight spec.
iflylo01 is offline  
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 85
No problem to use.
The 40 just means your better at higher temps like above 95F.
AND if your in a hot location, 10w-40 would be the weight to use.
jdock is online now  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator
 
Lyoko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Europe - Norway
Posts: 1,655
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdock View Post
No problem to use.
The 40 just means your better at higher temps like above 95F.
AND if your in a hot location, 10w-40 would be the weight to use.
Well now.. Larger number doesn't automatically = better.
Better against heat, sure, but at no cost for the engine or drawback..?
Bigger number indicates that the oil has more viscosity, aka thicker.

And just for the record, the 10w-40 oil might be just fine for the Rebel, seeing as 10 more isn't a massive jump.

However; That doens't mean that this can't cause some issues in an engine.
And I'm just speaking in general here now, it's not directly tied to just the Rebel here.
But some engines can be made with some rather small and narrow passages for the oil to flow through, and as such is strictly meant for a lower viscosity oil for it to function fully.
So even changing the oil to a 10w-40 over the standard 10w-30 it's meant to have can have unwanted results.
Just something to think about and be aware of, so that people doesn't go on thinking that bigger number is better no matter what.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
Lyoko is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 85
Wasn't implying "better" just that with 40 weight it use to be called out when riding in the hot summer and areas like Phoenix.

And yes with today's cars calling out 0w-20, the engines are tighter and a thicker weight can be to much, but I dont think going from a 10w-30 to a 10w-40 will cause problems since bikes will run hotter.
The cold temp weight of 10 is the same for both.
The 40 weight is when the engine is fully hot and at that point you should not oil flowing issues.
jdock is online now  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 05:00 PM
Senior Member
 
dsctr3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 164
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflylo01 View Post
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 10w-40 is more readily available in my area and it costs around $10 per quart. The Honda Pro Full Synthetic with the right weight (10w-30), I have to drive 30 minutes away to get, and it cost around 15-20 bucks per quart.



Anyone using the 10w-40 weight with no problem? I know it's a wider range, so technically it should work without a problem, but I am paranoid it might mess up something in the long run. Plus, may void the 1-year warranty.



The Mobil 1 Full Synthetic fits all the specs other than the weight spec.

Should be Jaso MA or MA2 approved for metric motorcycle wet clutch applications.

I use Honda 10w30 for the rebel and Super Cub C125. 25 a gallon at the dealer.

For a Star 250 I use Shell Rotella 15w40, it's Jaso MA and about 14 a gallon at Walmart. But the star calls for 10w40 and it doesn't freeze often where I live, so it works fine.

As long as I still get excited to go for a ride, I'll be riding. In the end it may be a moped, but I'll still be riding.

You only have today, go for a ride

Ride and be Free

2018 Rebel 300
dsctr3 is online now  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Showmeguy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 340
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflylo01 View Post
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 10w-40 is more readily available in my area and it costs around $10 per quart. The Honda Pro Full Synthetic with the right weight (10w-30), I have to drive 30 minutes away to get, and it cost around 15-20 bucks per quart.



Anyone using the 10w-40 weight with no problem? I know it's a wider range, so technically it should work without a problem, but I am paranoid it might mess up something in the long run. Plus, may void the 1-year warranty.



The Mobil 1 Full Synthetic fits all the specs other than the weight spec.
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/m...cPuQ&gclsrc=ds

If this is what you want to use you should be fine. It is JASO MA, MA2 certified
Showmeguy66 is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko View Post
Well now.. Larger number doesn't automatically = better.
Better against heat, sure, but at no cost for the engine or drawback..?
Bigger number indicates that the oil has more viscosity, aka thicker.

And just for the record, the 10w-40 oil might be just fine for the Rebel, seeing as 10 more isn't a massive jump.

However; That doens't mean that this can't cause some issues in an engine.
And I'm just speaking in general here now, it's not directly tied to just the Rebel here.
But some engines can be made with some rather small and narrow passages for the oil to flow through, and as such is strictly meant for a lower viscosity oil for it to function fully.
So even changing the oil to a 10w-40 over the standard 10w-30 it's meant to have can have unwanted results.
Just something to think about and be aware of, so that people doesn't go on thinking that bigger number is better no matter what.

This is probably the best answer anyone could ask for. I guess I will go with the Honda Pro 10w-30 for at least the first year to not void the warranty. Until I know more about engine oil, I'll stick to what is safe.
Kenny G, Lyoko, Benggolf and 3 others like this.
iflylo01 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pullback Bar Riser Problem Mannyroad Accessories And Add Ons 8 05-13-2019 10:24 AM
Riding with other bikers problem. shortyg83 2017+ Honda Rebel Issues And Problems 74 01-14-2019 06:46 PM
Fogging problem Keith Brigden Helmets, Gear, Protection And Apparel Discussion 19 10-08-2018 09:31 PM
Recommended Dealer on Long Island, NY? Foobar Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Dealers, Pricing And Orders 3 07-05-2018 01:25 PM
Engine revs and stalling problem janesdaddy 2017+ Honda Rebel Issues And Problems 2 09-13-2017 02:19 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome