5Likes
  • 3 Post By CGrazFL
  • 1 Post By flyinbrianbmx
  • 1 Post By heymanitsdan

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Traded in the Rebel

After 2 years and almost 15K miles, I decided to trade in my Rebel for something a little bit bigger. All in all, I absolutely loved every mile on that Rebel! It was the perfect bike for me to get started and learn the basics of riding. I got the chance to demo a few bikes at Bike Week about a month ago, and it gave me the itch to get a new ride. I wanted something with a little more power, and a more comfortable for a passenger. The Rebel is definitely capable of riding 2 adults but being a smaller bike, it can get a little cramped on a longer ride.

I narrowed my choices down to the Boulevard C50 and the Vulcan 900. Big enough for 2 to ride in comfort, and small enough to use as a daily driver. I was ready to buy the Vulcan when the dealer totally low-balled me on my trade. Dude had the stones to offer me 1800 bucks for my Rebel. I picked up my keys and walked out. The Suzuki dealer gave me book value for my Rebel, with the money I made selling off my aftermarket parts I almost broke even on it. I rode the Boulevard home that day, so far I am really enjoying it! To look at the specs for each bike, there isn't much difference in the torque and HP, but the V twin really delivers the power a lot smoother than the parallel twin in my opinion.

The Boulevard was decked out in studded leather, first thing I did was take it all off and installed a mustang seat and backrest. I'll get some non-studded saddlebags in the next few weeks. I know some people love the studs, but to me it looks like something out of an 80's hair band.

I also didn't realize how loud that TBR exhaust was until I went back to riding with stock pipes.

Got a couple of pics below, one from when I bought it and one without all that nasty studded leather.

I went back to the dealer this past weekend to pick up some oil and stuff, and got a little misty-eyed seeing my Rebel on the lot for sale. I hope someone buys it and loves it like I do!

-CG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suzuki1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	27899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Suzuki2.png
Views:	99
Size:	815.1 KB
ID:	27901  
RupertC, Odin and ThunderStick like this.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 04:20 PM

Nice bike. To me it seems like a lateral change but probably one that will work better for you.
You are correct on the Rebel being cramped 2-up. It doesn't bother me at all but my wife has complained about the posistion she is in on the bike.
And you are likely correct on the engine as well. The V-Twin is more of an engine made for cruisers. So the tuning is so completely different and would most likely be much smoother than the Rebel.

The rebel has an engine style from a sport bike, so it make sense. The two bikes deliver power completely differently.

The C50 you should get the following upgrades from your Rebel.
Less Cramped
Smoother Engine and overall ride
More seat comfort for both main rider and passenger
Much more stable on highways and much more capable of long rides.
You will be losing a few small things, that may not matter to you.
Weight. The C50 weighs 200lbs more.
Handling, the Rebel should be a much easier bike to ride and should handle better.

I would assume speed wise there will probably no difference. Though torque difference should help when 2 up.

Do you plan on keeping the stock exhaust on it? I know people say the TBR is loud. My father in law brought his harley over the other day and I literally couldn't hear my Rebel with the TBR running over the sound of his bike.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Nice bike. To me it seems like a lateral change but probably one that will work better for you.
You are correct on the Rebel being cramped 2-up. It doesn't bother me at all but my wife has complained about the posistion she is in on the bike.
And you are likely correct on the engine as well. The V-Twin is more of an engine made for cruisers. So the tuning is so completely different and would most likely be much smoother than the Rebel.

The rebel has an engine style from a sport bike, so it make sense. The two bikes deliver power completely differently.

The C50 you should get the following upgrades from your Rebel.
Less Cramped
Smoother Engine and overall ride
More seat comfort for both main rider and passenger
Much more stable on highways and much more capable of long rides.
You will be losing a few small things, that may not matter to you.
Weight. The C50 weighs 200lbs more.
Handling, the Rebel should be a much easier bike to ride and should handle better.

I would assume speed wise there will probably no difference. Though torque difference should help when 2 up.

Do you plan on keeping the stock exhaust on it? I know people say the TBR is loud. My father in law brought his harley over the other day and I literally couldn't hear my Rebel with the TBR running over the sound of his bike.
You pretty much nailed it all right there! The Rebel definitely has an edge in handling. I can't throw the Boulevard into a curve like I could the Rebel. I tried and scraped the floorboards a few times LOL! From a dead stop the Rebel would probably smoke the Boulevard off the line, but the Boulevard can crack 100mph easy before the acceleration drops off. The Rebel started struggling at 85 (I weigh 200 lbs so a smaller rider might disagree with that). So far I've only gone local with it, this weekend the wife and I are heading out for a highway trip, so we'll see how much better the ride is.

I'm going to keep the exhaust stock for now. I'm going to wait and see if this is going to be a long term bike for me, an Indian dealer just opened up not too far from me and I already have my eye on an Indian Chief.

-CG
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
did you see what they have for a price on your used Rebel? I have seen 500's with that kind of mileage listed at $5000 - that's pretty good for holding value

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
did you see what they have for a price on your used Rebel? I have seen 500's with that kind of mileage listed at $5000 - that's pretty good for holding value
You're right on point - Dealer has it listed for $4988.00

https://seminolepowersportsnorth.com...0-c59ddbd8277e

-CG
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:13 AM

such a nice bike man! and tell your bank account I'm sorry for this link https://bluecollarbobbers.com/kawasaki-vulcan-900/
CGrazFL likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:07 PM

Congrats on the new ride, man. My dad has a Boulevard and loves it. Way too big for me, but sounds like you made the right choice for you. Enjoy it and stay safe, bro!
CGrazFL likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page