Gear Shift Indicator Honda 500 - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Gear Shift Indicator Honda 500

I had purchased off of eBay a gear shift indicator (Plug-n-play)

I had also found a machine aluminum gear shift indicator mount for 1 Inch handlebars so bought it.

Went to mount it today and come to find out the gear shift indicator is too large for the handlebar mount...darn it......

Plus the cord on the indicator comes out the back not off the end---so my question to you all is.....

How would be the best way be to mount this? I don't see using double-sided tape would work...or cable ties.

Surely there has got to be a nicer easy way to mount this darn thing.

Sadly--I bought these back in the fall and sat all winter long so don't I can return them for a refund. I really want to make the indicator work though.

Thank you all in advance!
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:32 PM

Garage
Elem,

I used this for mounting my gear indicator:
https://www.amazon.com/LAMPHUS-Off-R...1778&s=gateway

You do have to drill one hole in the flat straight part back towards where it joins the circular part.

Also Twizz has a quick simple mount that he devised.

Kenny G
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:30 AM

I have one ready to fit and I intend to use Blacktack, fixing it to the side of the display. I shall report in on whether this works.

Just do it! (I did: 2017 Rebel 500; 2014 MT-07)
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
I had purchased off of eBay a gear shift indicator (Plug-n-play)

I had also found a machine aluminum gear shift indicator mount for 1 Inch handlebars so bought it.

Went to mount it today and come to find out the gear shift indicator is too large for the handlebar mount...darn it......

Plus the cord on the indicator comes out the back not off the end---so my question to you all is.....

How would be the best way be to mount this? I don't see using double-sided tape would work...or cable ties.

Surely there has got to be a nicer easy way to mount this darn thing.

Sadly--I bought these back in the fall and sat all winter long so don't I can return them for a refund. I really want to make the indicator work though.

Thank you all in advance!

As requested; this is my alternative.
There are other ideas on this thread too.

https://www.hondarebel3forum.com/for...dicator-5.html

Twizz
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:52 AM

Garage
Gear Shift Indicator Honda 500

I bought the gear shift indicator mount which was too small. Mine was from Amazon. I used a rotary tool (Dremel) to shave off the aluminum enough for it to fit. Works great after that and takes no time at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2019 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:13 AM

Garage
Another option for mounting the gear indicator. I used a bicycle seat post reflector mount. I used my dremmel to cut the surface to match the indicator. It does the job I haven’t touched it since install
Attached Images

Kenny G likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
I don't see using double-sided tape would work...or cable ties.
double sided tape worked great for me, provided you by the right/strong stuff. i used 3M Red and it's held for a year now, no issues. Put one piece on the back where it touches the bar, and a piece on the left side where it touches the speedo.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

What size hole did you drill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
Elem,

I used this for mounting my gear indicator:
https://www.amazon.com/LAMPHUS-Off-R...1778&s=gateway

You do have to drill one hole in the flat straight part back towards where it joins the circular part.

Also Twizz has a quick simple mount that he devised.

Kenny G

Hi Kenny:

Just out of curiosity what size hole did you drill through this mount towards the loop area? I take it then you fed the wire through that hole, but if you did did the connectors fit through the hole okay? Mine has 3 wires with metal tips which will plug into the modular plug. I am not sure they will fit through the hole okay unless I am envisioning this wrong. Thank you again!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:26 AM

I also used double sided tape to mount mine. Have had it for over a year and no issues thus far.
Odin likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:27 AM

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Hi Kenny:

Just out of curiosity what size hole did you drill through this mount towards the loop area? I take it then you fed the wire through that hole, but if you did did the connectors fit through the hole okay? Mine has 3 wires with metal tips which will plug into the modular plug. I am not sure they will fit through the hole okay unless I am envisioning this wrong. Thank you again!
Elem,

I drilled some test holes in a test piece to make sure the wire connectors would pass through without difficulty.
IIRC the hole is 1/4" or slightly bigger, I did use a drill press to bore the hole and checked again to make sure the connectors and wires would pass through the hole before taking it out of the vice.

I did screw up and had it assembled the first time with the numbers upside down and had to remove the individual connectors from the big connector that plugs into the bike to turn the gauge back to right side up. I noticed that the indicators sold on Amazon have the word "GEAR" engraved so that you can tell when the correct side is up.

Kenny G

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page