Randomly shutting off..... - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kenny G

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Randomly shutting off.....

Anyone have their 500 randomly shut off? Just happened last night at a stop light......switched the ignition on and off and it started right back up. Was in first at a stop light, clutch pulled in. Totally stationary. I was thinking I could have toggled the on/off switch by accident....but I physically had to toggle the bike off then back on to fire it up again.. Only thing I have done to the bike electrically has been to put a usb adapter on it..connected to the battery directly with a quick connector about half way, so I can tend the battery if I need too..
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 09:41 AM

Some people have had problems with the switch going bad. Where the contacts inside were no longer keeping good contact.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 11:56 AM

Flip the engine cutoff switch back and forth a few times and make sure fully switched and see if this happens again.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 12:53 PM

Garage
Rebel,

If I was having the trouble that you are having one thing I would check the battery terminal screws to make sure they are tight.

Kenny G
Odin likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 04:55 PM

Are you sure your USB adapter that you added isn't grounding out periodically via a loose wire or something? The fact that this isn't happening consistently, and your bike is still running, would make me assume there's a loose connection somewhere that trips out every once in awhile.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 07:18 PM

Just wondering if you found out what the issue was. I had a similar issue last summer, but it acted like the bike was low on fuel. Basically, the bike would shut off at highway speeds and then I would go to start the bike and it would run but then it would cut out. Is your bike doing something similar?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page