3Likes
  • 1 Post By Elembytes
  • 1 Post By Elembytes
  • 1 Post By Elembytes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Need HELP with a 2018 500 ABS Rebel

Hello:

I finally got my new 2018 Rebel 500 ABS delivered today from the dealer.

Reading the owners manual when the bike key is turned on, whether or not the kill switch is in "RUN" or "OFF" there should be 5 lights that light up on the Speedometer HEAD. I am only having 3. The ABS Light does NOT light, neither does the Oil Pressure Light. All others work like the owners manual says.

Any other ABS owner's, can you tell me if this is normal even though the owner's manual speaks differently on it?

The dealer is going to talk to Honda next week.

The dealer did swap out the "LENS" on the speedometer housing due to scratches on the original. However, that said, the lens is clear. I thought that maybe if it was a lens from a non-ABS 500 that there wasn't a "cut out" for the ABS Light but that is not true to how that works. So we are puzzled.

The dealer also claimed they looked at another black ABS 500 and turned it's key on and it did the same thing mine does so that is where they are at this point in time.

Excited to have the bike home finally. About had a heart attack though when the guy was delivering the bike on the trailer. He unstrapped it and the bike started to fall over on the trailer. He stopped it from going completely over and I helped to raise it back up. There is a small nick in the muffler paint (Black) but it's on the bottom and someone would really have to look for it. The rest of the bike never touched the trailer luckily! Whew! The guy said that was the first time he'd ever had that happen and said he's delivered a lot larger bikes then the Rebel. Think it's because we live in the Country and the trailer was off the gravel drive and so the bike was leaning a little to the other side. Makes me wish I had been up on the trailer helping but I figured this guy knew what he was doing!

Thank you all for your help with the lights!

Got some Mod's to do and then start riding!
Kenny G likes this.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 06:28 PM
SLI

Which 3 lights light up?

Off the top of my head:
There's oil on the left, check engine next to it that flashes ON/OFF when you're about to start, N in the middle and ABS on the right which should be ON when the engine starts. I have a video of a gear indicator on startup (with some of the lights on the speedo) in my post in the showcase forum but i didn't focus on the entire speedo though.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLI View Post
Which 3 lights light up?

Off the top of my head:
There's oil on the left, check engine next to it that flashes ON/OFF when you're about to start, N in the middle and ABS on the right which should be ON when the engine starts. I have a video of a gear indicator on startup (with some of the lights on the speedo) in my post in the showcase forum but i didn't focus on the entire speedo though.

When you first turn the key on- the N light comes on and the High Water temp (Idiot lights light) When you turn the "KILL SWITCH to RUN" then the "Programmed Fuel Injector/check engine light" comes on. Start the bike all go OFF.

NO ABS light ever lights nor does the oil pressure light! So 3 out of 5 lights light up!

Hope that helps as we are trying to find the answers to this including the dealership!

Thank you!

Kenny G likes this.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:05 PM
SLI

Do you see the ABS ring around the front hub?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLI View Post
Do you see the ABS ring around the front hub?

Yes, it is an ABS 500 Rebel and has the ABS rings front and rear.

I will double check the connection to the Speedometer head tomorrow. They had messed with my handlebars so maybe that did something I don't know. They removed the Speedometer a few times and replaced the lens due to scratches. They took it off of a non-ABS 500 but from what I am seeing the top case cover to the Speedometer ($1.95 part) is clear and would not matter whether it was from a ABS 500 or a Non ABS 500 bike.

They added a battery maintenance tender pigtail. Wonder if they goofed up something? The tender is showing batter as good.

Definitely some issues here, as both the owners manual and a online service manual makes it sound like I should see all 5 lights on that speedometer head.

Thanks!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Just to update:

Everything is fixed and working well now. The dealer apparently tried to put a non-ABS Speedometer Lens cover on a ABS Speedometer and it is not compatible. They put on the correct one and all is working according to the manual.
Prgrmerror likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:08 PM

Garage
great to hear. enjoy the riding now, when you can!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:58 AM

Anyone can suggest me a good trailer I have to use for 24 Hours Roadside Assistance In Newyork. in a motorcycle towing service provider company.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page