Thinking of getting these new handlebars + Engine Guard Crash Protector for Rebel 500 - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Thinking of getting these new handlebars + Engine Guard Crash Protector for Rebel 500

so I found these on ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Engine-Guard-Crash-Protector-For-2017-2018-Rebel-CMX-300-500-Models/113177004995?fits=Model%3ARebel+500&epid=180220024 63&hash=item1a59e00bc3:g:~TUAAOSw-cFbm08V:rk:1f:0

and

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Rebel-CMX-500-300-2017-2018-Handlebar-Full-Set-Upper-Drag-Custom-Bobber/323416789098?hash=item4b4d24906a:gPQAAOSw7FJbg71 T:rk:8f:0

How do they look? I've never purchased something before on ebay so I wanted some advice. I want higher handlebars - didnt really like the z bars from biltwell, these say they come with extra cables if the stock ones probably wont reach that high.
rebelwithoutacause likes this.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

reply edit

the crash bars are from Kansas so not Thailand, but the handlebars are.

I also like these handlebars but I have no idea if they will fit with a 2017 honda rebel 500

https://www.biltwellinc.com/p200/buy...-1-quot-black/
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloTexas View Post
the crash bars are from Kansas so not Thailand, but the handlebars are.

I also like these handlebars but I have no idea if they will fit with a 2017 honda rebel 500

https://www.biltwellinc.com/p200/buy...-1-quot-black/

I have the 1” Zed bars. They fit and I like them, they’re a little higher and definitely narrower. Good for lane splitting here in California haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 02:05 PM

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloTexas View Post
so I found these on ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Engine-Guard-Crash-Protector-For-2017-2018-Rebel-CMX-300-500-Models/113177004995?fits=Model%3ARebel+500&epid=180220024 63&hash=item1a59e00bc3:g:~TUAAOSw-cFbm08V:rk:1f:0

and

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Rebel-CMX-500-300-2017-2018-Handlebar-Full-Set-Upper-Drag-Custom-Bobber/323416789098?hash=item4b4d24906a:gPQAAOSw7FJbg71 T:rk:8f:0

How do they look? I've never purchased something before on ebay so I wanted some advice. I want higher handlebars - didnt really like the z bars from biltwell, these say they come with extra cables if the stock ones probably wont reach that high.
Double check to see if the crash bars will fit your bike. Some manufacturers make one for the 500 and another one to fit the 300.

Kenny G
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 04:23 AM

Garage
Question Cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by jromio View Post
I have the 1” Zed bars. They fit and I like them, they’re a little higher and definitely narrower. Good for lane splitting here in California haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you have to extend the cables at all....? I like the look of the Zed bars, also do you have to drill them?

Rebelwithoutacause
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 10:29 AM

Garage
There’s no need to extend the cables, they should reach. I know I had read about some people mentioning you might need to get creative and reroute them so they can reach, but mine reached fine without changing anything. You do need to drill them which is somewhat annoying, but not too bad.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 10:39 AM

Garage
FYI I tried sanding down the nub on the controls casing to avoid drilling but then the control assembly didn’t sit tight on the handlebar. I had to stick it down until I bought another assembly to replace it with. The double sided tape worked, but maybe just avoid the trouble and learn from my mistake and drill the bar haha
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 06:52 PM

I must be royally messed up here. My new Rebel is still in the shop. Went there today to see how the H2C Riser worked. They hadn't fitted them because they told me that I would have to get different cables for Clutch/Throttle and a brake line. They told me because mine is an ABS model they'd have to check to see if the fitting that goes from the handlebars to the first manifold would still work, they told me they also would have to check with Honda to check if it would be okay and void warranty. Further more they told me they were going to look and see if there was slack in the electrical inside the headlamp assembly. All this just to raise up the bars and bring them back a tad so I could sit more upright and not be outstretched arms all the way. The bars I had them install before the risers were the https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...r-1-handlebars. This is getting to be a real mess for me. I told them they could reroute the cables but they weren't so sure but when I left there today they were going to work on seeing what they could do. Sadly they filled the fuel tank already (Their stupidity) so if they want to remove the tank they are going to have fun messing with it all. Today it was in the 50's beautiful day to ride but no...it's still in the shop! Oh they told me they might see if cables from a Honda Shadow would work. They also told me this was the FIRST Honda Rebel they have had to change bars on and so forth so they are using me as a LEARNING TOOL. WOW!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 08:20 AM

Garage
I just adjusted the rake of my handlebars back a inch or 2 and it made a huge difference, didn't need the risers at all. No more straihjt arms for me which is much more comfortable and only took minutes to do. I would have thought there would be enough slack to install risers though and i am pretty sure others have done it with no problem...?!?
dunf likes this.

Rebelwithoutacause
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
I must be royally messed up here. My new Rebel is still in the shop. Went there today to see how the H2C Riser worked. They hadn't fitted them because they told me that I would have to get different cables for Clutch/Throttle and a brake line. They told me because mine is an ABS model they'd have to check to see if the fitting that goes from the handlebars to the first manifold would still work, they told me they also would have to check with Honda to check if it would be okay and void warranty. Further more they told me they were going to look and see if there was slack in the electrical inside the headlamp assembly. All this just to raise up the bars and bring them back a tad so I could sit more upright and not be outstretched arms all the way. The bars I had them install before the risers were the https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...r-1-handlebars. This is getting to be a real mess for me. I told them they could reroute the cables but they weren't so sure but when I left there today they were going to work on seeing what they could do. Sadly they filled the fuel tank already (Their stupidity) so if they want to remove the tank they are going to have fun messing with it all. Today it was in the 50's beautiful day to ride but no...it's still in the shop! Oh they told me they might see if cables from a Honda Shadow would work. They also told me this was the FIRST Honda Rebel they have had to change bars on and so forth so they are using me as a LEARNING TOOL. WOW!
Sounds like your shop is being pretty reasonable and they're considering all the issues that may result. Those kind of changes you can't really tell for sure if it will all fit or not until you try. Might be enough stretch on the cables - or might not. And if the brake needs extended and they have to replace the top hose with aftermarket hose, well that might indeed affect your warranty. Kinda prudent of them to check don't you think?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page