Rebel 300: Ride it like you stole it.... - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ohio Newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Rebel 300: Ride it like you stole it....

I've mentioned in other threads that I have a hard time getting the 300 into higher rev ranges because I'm accustomed to low revving torque-ish cars. (SUV and before that, a diesel Mercedes) This feeling also caused me problems with my 2 year old VW GTI....I high revving monster of a small hatchback. I have been able to over come most of my rev problems with the GTI because the engine is SO smooth.

But the 300 is not smooth. It vibrates a lot. (or at least I think it does) Being this is my first motorcycle, one of these days I'll find out if the vibrations are due to it being a single cylinder thumper, or this is just the way motorcycles are. I don't have a frame of reference to know the reason. (Probably a combination of the two)

But folks here have assured me I will not break the motorcycle by revving it too high. So the last time I went out I really started to wind that thing up. Really pushing what I considered to be the limits. (I waited until the oil was hot and engine was fully warmed up) I only got the bike a month ago, and my skills and confidence have progressed dramatically. (800+ miles now?) I would find a country road, and blast as fast as I could up to 65+. REALLY winding up that engine before shifting. The only speed/shift point I can remember is topping out 3rd gear at 50mph! (2nd gear is probably in the 30's somewhere)

It felt good to do that. It probably helps that I wear earplugs when I ride. REALLY good earplugs. My helmet is REALLY noisy. I don't really hear the motor, I feel it. Which is fine with me, all my standard trans cars going back to the 70's...I relied on feel and not so much sound. (and definitely not tach...because their wasn't one!)

After 800 miles, I am starting to have the 'want bigger bike' syndrome. But if I really think about it, I can handle the lower power..that's not the issue. The issue is vibration. I would like to have a bike with less vibration. Oh...and a better seat too. But then again, I do have to realize 90% of my riding will be in my small town in the midwest, and the country roads outside of it. The 300 will be fine.
Kenny G likes this.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:37 PM

I have the 500 and in my opinion and from the point of view of its performance, there is some but not much to be gained by taking it up to high revs. It is a low rev engine really, as I find it anyway. But if you want to do it, then why not do it. There is a rev limiter to stop you overdoing it. Vibes is a notable part of my bike - that's the way it is. Grip puppies help a bit. The seat looks good but was not comfortable for me so it is modded (helps vibes too). Enjoy!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

I put a set of grip puppies on it.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:00 AM

Garage
I never rode the 300, so I can't really compare it but the 500 vibrates a bit too at the higher RPMs in the lower gears. I swapped out the handlebars and put some fatter grips on it, and the vibrations are pretty much gone.

-CG
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 10:51 AM

If its new and under warranty, a harsh vibration issue will be covered.
If you just dont know have another rider check it out for excessive vibration.
This 300 wont ever be like your big SUV - smooth and quiet.

Maybe loosen your grip somewhat.

A question to be answered is do you experience numb fingers/thumbs after riding for a extended amount of time??
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 01:29 PM
SLI

It's too bad to hear you're not 100% satisfied with your bike.

65+ mph is highway speed...everybody knows the 300 would vibrate more at those speeds and more in general compared to the 500, all the 500 owners told you way back.

Seat and grips can be swapped easily.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdock View Post

A question to be answered is do you experience numb fingers/thumbs after riding for a extended amount of time??

Yes I do get tingly and slightly numb fingertips.. But I'm fully aware that as a new rider, I've probably been gripping too tight. I've been working on it, and it's considerably better than when I first started riding. As I stated before, I also put grip puppies on...that also helped a lot.

This coming Tuesday, it's going to make it up into the 60's. (Temp) I'm going to take it to the dealership and ask someone there to ride it, and see if this is normal. I'll also see if I can ride another motorcycle with a parallel twin 500 engine. Just to get an idea what a non single cylinder engine is like.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 03:42 PM
SLI

I'm assuming you wear motorcycle gloves that are not too tight...compared to riding with no gloves.

Relaxing your hands while riding becomes way easier as you get more experience and confident with your ability to control the bike in any situation.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLI View Post
I'm assuming you wear motorcycle gloves that are not too tight...compared to riding with no gloves.

Relaxing your hands while riding becomes way easier as you get more experience and confident with your ability to control the bike in any situation.

Yes, I wear motorcycle gloves. And I've been working on relaxing my hands while riding.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page