300 vs 500 which one is best for me? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
300 vs 500 which one is best for me?

Hi, I'm looking to get one of the Honda Rebels just not sure exactly which one to get. I have ridden a very old 1980 Honda CB650 for about a year several years ago so I have some experience riding but not much.
I am a 5'3" tall female and weight about 105lb
I will be riding mostly on roads that are about 40mphs and some highways with some hills them.
My questions are will the 300 have enough power to ride and keep up with traffic and handle this hills at speed?
Also will it be something I'd enjoy riding for years to come (I don't want to get motorcycle that I'll out grow in a year I want to get one that I'd like to keep for the long haul)?
Or would the 500 be the better option to get?
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 04:20 PM
SLI

Based on your story, once rode an old CB650, want a bike for the long haul and have concerns about power on highways with hills...I say go for the 500 with ABS all the way without a doubt!

300 owners will say it's all you need, most 500 owners will say get the 500.

I'm still exhausted from the last 300 vs 500 debate lol. If you do get the 300 and ever complain about lack of performance...don't say you were not warned.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLI View Post

I'm still exhausted from the last 300 vs 500 debate lol.

And I'm probably a recent cause of it!

But to answer the OP. I'm twice your weight. I just got a 300 on Friday, and I've put 170 miles on it this weekend. And I have no previous motorcycle experience. So with my limited experience, the 300 with a 200lb guy on it (me), is definitely not a race car. It will get the job done, but most likely that extra 'thrill' that experienced riders enjoy may be a little lost. I don't know what it would be like with 100 less pounds.

I will say this: 40mph roads?....Get the 300. Highways with hills?...Get the 500. You will need to think about how much of each.

But your comment about the long haul....says get the 500. It also depends on how aggressively you want to ride. I"m a complete newbie, so I don't know how much power I need. But I got the 300 because 90% of my riding will be in my small town in the midwest. VERY little highway riding. So the 300 is the right one for me.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi, I'm looking to get one of the Honda Rebels just not sure exactly which one to get. I have ridden a very old 1980 Honda CB650 for about a year several years ago so I have some experience riding but not much.
I am a 5'3" tall female and weight about 105lb
I will be riding mostly on roads that are about 40mphs and some highways with some hills them.
My questions are will the 300 have enough power to ride and keep up with traffic and handle this hills at speed?
Also will it be something I'd enjoy riding for years to come (I don't want to get motorcycle that I'll out grow in a year I want to get one that I'd like to keep for the long haul)?
Or would the 500 be the better option to get?
The 500 is a better long term bike in my opinion. It has more power and less vibration than the 300.
That being said, with what you said your speeds will be and your weight , the 300 would be a perfectly fine bike. It weighs less and is likely a bit more nimble in city riding because of the weight difference.

Either bike would be great, if you ever intend to have a passenger I would go for the 500.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi thanks everyone for you all ur input, I think what I'll do is just wait and see which one I find the best deal on and get that one since it sounds like I will be happy with either one.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey just wanted to update everyone I ended up getting a 2017 Rebel 500 in matt gray i found a used one for a good price and so far I am very glad I got the 500 its got power but not overwhelming power so I think I will be happy keeping this one for a very long time

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page