Spoke with a dealer today about handlbars....need help - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By kjeck
  • 1 Post By flyinbrianbmx

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Spoke with a dealer today about handlbars....need help

I was speaking with my local dealer today about the Honda 500 ABS (2018) which they claim they should have shipped in to them in about 2 weeks.

I do NOT like the lean I have to have to the handlebars. They had me talk to their parts guy, who was supposed to be an expert on fixing things like this.

I tried to tell him that I had seen on this forum that they make risers for the Rebel that will raise the bars up and backwards.

He told me that I would have to have a longer brake hose made for the front brakes. Then told me that there is NOT enough slack in the Speedometer head to allow a riser to be used.

He suggested I replace the handle bars with bars that would bring the bars back about 2" for what I would feel comfortable with.

I sat on a Suzuki 650 cc (S40) and the handlebars are perfect. I could sit upright and felt good but I don't want a Suzuki let alone a ONE cylinder bike.

So- can someone put in in plain wording exactly what I would need to get for the 2018 Honda Rebel ABS that would work to bring those controls backwards about 2 inches. What has to be done-besides a longer front brake hose? Is there really an issue with the electric wires going to the Speedometer head?

Thank you!

P.S. any good recommendations for a good Riding BOOT that is cool to wear, easy on and off, that would fit a size 8 foot and would have a thick enough sole to help me flat foot on both sides of the Rebel. I can flat foot my left easily but my right foot is more on the ball of the foot.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 08:24 PM

Garage
https://www.hondarebel3forum.com/for...tml#post130921

Itís not the only option but I like them a lot
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 04:33 AM

I tried to fit the H2C riser to my Euro spec Rebel 500 abs, with the standard bars and struggled. There just isn't enough 'slack' in the brake master cylinder feed hose. I'm sure I could of pulled enough but I concluded this wasn't a safe option. In the end, I had to buy some other 'drag' type bars that do not have the backward rise of the originals.

The result sure looks good but is totally useless if you're wanting a more comfortable, arms not so stretched ride. The riser combined with flat type drag bars, produces about the same reach as the original bars mounted as standard.

Incidentally, I didn't have an issue with finding the extra bit of slack required in the speedometer cable.

In conclusion, for safeties sake, with an ABS Rebel, I would suggest that if you want the original bars with the H2C riser, you're going to have to get a new brake line made, with an extra 'inch' or so length.

But this is purely from my own experience, I'm sure that there are others who'll say otherwise... Suum cuique.

The best of luck.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 08:03 AM

Garage
If you are located anywhere near a Kubota Tractor Dealer their service department will custom make any hydraulic brake lines that you will need. You will have to take your OEM brake line with you for them to reuse the fittings.

Kenny G
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 09:33 AM

I was able to fit approx. 3" up and back risers without needing longer cables. I found their lengths quite generous compared to the other bike I've done risers on. If I recall right, the key was being willing to take the brake lever/cylinder off and route the hose behind the bars rather than through the forks like it is now - super easy and plenty of room to do it on the Rebel.
Kenny G likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeck View Post
I was able to fit approx. 3" up and back risers without needing longer cables. I found their lengths quite generous compared to the other bike I've done risers on. If I recall right, the key was being willing to take the brake lever/cylinder off and route the hose behind the bars rather than through the forks like it is now - super easy and plenty of room to do it on the Rebel.

Thanks for taking time to let me know what you did and how you went about it. What type of riser did you get exactly did you get new bars too? They told me a rise really wouldn't bring it back towards me very far-to make it so I sat more upright. I probably should have actually talked to someone in service rather than a parts counter guy.

So I need specifics to prove to them that there is no problem with doing what I am hoping they can do and have enough electrical line to the speedometer to work =they tried to tell me there wasn't. YES on the longer brake line but that was pretty much all.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 09:18 AM

these are new bars available at zeedparts and they come with new brake lines and clutch cable. Honda Rebel CMX 300 500 Motolordd Custom Chumps Handlebar 8"
Prgrmerror likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page