2018's and 2019's-why no discussion here? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

2018's and 2019's-why no discussion here?

I am just curious, why no one on this forum seems to be discussing the 2018's and 2019 Rebel's? I know they haven't changed diddly to them other than fuel tank colors, I don't think they made any improvements, such as a gear shift indicator or better Speedo Head or seat, or etc., Almost wish they had. Have noticed the prices are surging for the 2019's.

I am still contemplating my short stature and what the ride might be like going from a 250 Rebel to a 500 ABS Rebel. I am still concerned about handlebars, and height. I am 5'2" with like a 26" maybe smaller inseam. I can flat foot my 250 just fine on both sides. The 500 I sat on in the showroom I could flat foot one side and plant the ball of my other foot on the other side. I'd feel better flat footing on both sides.

For what ever reason I guess I am letting the weight of the 500 ABS bother me-I do like the lightness of the 250 but I live in a rural area in KS and the 250 just does 65 to 70 mph and that is pushing it. I am 240 pounds and 57 years young.

So maybe I am losing my mind already even contemplating buying a new one. I am sure I can't be the only one in this boat, but have never owned a new two wheeler always been used, just not finding used here in the Midwest U.S.A.

I do enjoy my Can-Am Spyder RT but still enjoy a 2 wheel experience as well. I know if I don't like it I can sell or put it on consignment or what not.

Any one else's head spins like mine does? Good old OCD! Gotta love it! (NOT)!
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 10:08 PM

Garage
Hey Elembytes,

First thing, what's with the bold print in all your posts? Not keen on it myself.

Secondly, you've had these same head spins for months now. Are you no closer to making a decision?

Sounds like maybe you should stick to what you have IMO. Use your 250 for that two wheel fix you need now and then and use your Can-Am for when you want more pace/power. Everyone here is happy to help out wherever they can but you've raised these same questions several times and received lots of opinions. There comes a time where you just need to make the decision for yourself.

Please don't take this wrong, I'm not ragging on you. I'm just trying to nudge you into making up your own mind.

I truly do hope you make the right choice for you.

Cheers
dollarbill181 and Odin like this.

Fletch

668 The Neighbour of the Beast
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 11:31 PM

Garage
If it's as rural as you make it sound where you live then flat footing should not be (in my opinion) a priority purchasing point because you will have long stretches of not needing to touch the ground at all so if the bike fits, it fits! And you can quickly practice planting the one foot that reaches, presumably left foot first so right foot can brake. But to each their own on that one. Perhaps ask the dealer if they have any ability to drop the suspension slightly to cater to your shorter stature? If you haven't taken it for a test ride, then take it for a ride and then you will truly know how bad that foot reach problem is before you pick up a new bike.
Kenny G likes this.

-----------------------------
2018 Rebel 500 ABS rider
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 12:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Hey Elembytes,

First thing, what's with the bold print in all your posts? Not keen on it myself.

Secondly, you've had these same head spins for months now. Are you no closer to making a decision?

Sounds like maybe you should stick to what you have IMO. Use your 250 for that two wheel fix you need now and then and use your Can-Am for when you want more pace/power. Everyone here is happy to help out wherever they can but you've raised these same questions several times and received lots of opinions. There comes a time where you just need to make the decision for yourself.

Please don't take this wrong, I'm not ragging on you. I'm just trying to nudge you into making up your own mind.

I truly do hope you make the right choice for you.

Cheers
Iím with Fletch 100%.
dollarbill181 and Odin like this.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 12:50 AM

My inseams are about 26" too but I can flat-foot on the Rebel 500 ABS by wearing a pair of thick soled boots whenever I ride a 2-wheeled bike; no sweat.

Adjust your suspension and try it; I believe it should work for you too. Good luck.

Benggolf
2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
2016 Can-Am Spyder F3T
2016 Indian Scout
2014 Can-Am Spyder RTL
2014 Honda 300 Forza
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 01:28 AM

Garage
And just like that you started a discussion about not having a discussion! It either fits you or it doesn't. Maybe check out a grom, or the new MONKEY!
dollarbill181 and Ryan500 like this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 05:16 AM

showmeguy: The grom has a 6 cm or so higher seat height. he would be on his tip toes on that. also he is too heavy for such a small bike.

elembytes: why don't you test ride a rebel 500 in a dealership?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 05:41 AM

...if you do, pay attention to the heavy-as-buggery clutch.

I am selling my rebel and the heavy far away clutch is one of the main reasons.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Hi Fletch:

Thanks for your input. Like I said it is good ole OCD that messes with my mind. You might be right in what your saying about sticking with the 250. In my mind though there is a lot of improvements however so that keeps playing in my head. Don't see to many people commenting on what the ride is like compared to the 250's of yesterday. Just as I am not seeing a lot of posts from others with 2018's either. Seems like it is all 2017s. Don't mean to keep wording things in the same way but, also hope that maybe others might add their insights too. Anyway, have a good day and thank you again for your input. I appreciate it all.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

What brand of thick soled boots do you use? Thanks to my genetics---LOL---I wear a size 7 shoe, 8 in women's. Finding boots with thick soles to fit this small foot is an issue too. Can't change what God gave me but trying to figure things out before I drop some big $$$ on this and not wanting to feel "Stupid". I had a Suzuki Boulevard S50 at one time and felt that was pretty big and heavy. Guess that plays into my thinking. Was happy to return to the Rebel 250 after that but just doesn't have much power. Oh well. Thank you!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page