500 Transmission housing...deal breaker? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

500 Transmission housing...deal breaker?

I went to a motorcycle dealership for only the second time. I sat on the Rebel for only the second time. I noticed the transmission housing on the 500 sticks out really far. Much further than the 300. This rubs into my right ankle. (or just above it. I had decided on the 500...but this transmission housing sticking out is way out of place. I don't see how someone can ride without constantly pressing up against it. This seems like a deal breaker to me. It's in the way. Is this something people get used too? I've read elsewhere that others thought it was odd, but I didn't understand what they were talking about until today.
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:03 PM

Garage
I donít notice it. I do know itís there but I donít call it a deal breaker. For me the 300 is a deal breaker. I need more CCís
Lyoko likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

It could be so irritating because I was in shorts and tennis shoes. If I were wearing boots, perhaps not so much.

I also sat on a sport bike (CBR300R)....it wasn't so bad. The first time I did it, is seemed like I was leaning too far forward. Today, it seemed fine.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:17 PM

you could always get the forward controls if you think its a big deal but you want the 500 anyways
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:19 PM

Garage
You have to go with what you feel comfortable with. My guess is if you go with something that your told is okay you wonít be happy. Everyone has a different opinion about what is acceptable and what is not. There are lots of folks that are happy with the 300 and the same for the 500. The CBR300 and 500 would be no different. I wish you the best trying to find what makes you happy
Kenny G likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:23 PM

Garage
It never bothered me at all.
Odin likes this.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:35 PM

I ride alot, 10,000km this year so far, and have had only minor issues with the clutch cover. I keep the balls of my feet on the pegs rather then the arch and even while pinching the tank with my knees in corners, its never been an issue
Fletch and Odin like this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:49 PM

Garage
I would literally have to go sit on my bike to understand what you're talking about, I never thought it was large. Maybe I'm inexperienced cause it's my first bike but nothing on the 500 feels like it sticks out to me. Maybe the fact you were in shorts and tennis shoes threw it off a little? I had a guy at the dealership hold the bike up while i put both feet on the pegs to really feel how it is to ride it without actually riding (I wasn't endorsed at the time)

-----------------------------
2018 Rebel 500 ABS rider
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:53 PM

Garage
It's funny because I never noticed the clutch cover until I saw a recent post about it not too long ago, now I notice it every time I ride. It doesn't bother me too much, but I wonder how much longer I could have gone being blissfully unaware had I not read about it haha
longbeachgary likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Newbie View Post
I went to a motorcycle dealership for only the second time. I sat on the Rebel for only the second time. I noticed the transmission housing on the 500 sticks out really far. Much further than the 300. This rubs into my right ankle. (or just above it. I had decided on the 500...but this transmission housing sticking out is way out of place. I don't see how someone can ride without constantly pressing up against it. This seems like a deal breaker to me. It's in the way. Is this something people get used too? I've read elsewhere that others thought it was odd, but I didn't understand what they were talking about until today.
I was super annoyed by this when I first got the bike. I do not notice it anymore. I am not sure if I just got use to it or if I am slightly moving my foot further out on the peg. But eventually you will likely forget about it and not notice it.