Ride Impressions - close to 100 miles! - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ride Impressions - close to 100 miles!

Already getting close to 100 miles starting last Friday!

I noticed a couple of things so far for me personally:

1) My right leg is getting quite sore from the protruding black case along the engine.
I find myself sliding my foot (and calf) out further away and squeezing my knees closer to compensate.

2) Could really benefit from a gear indicator (ordered), as I am habitually looking to shift up past sixth like a doof.

3) Finding Neutral is rather finicky for me. Find myself getting lost in the nuance and resorting
to habits of the MSF course of getting into 1st and "tickling" the lever til I find it.

What about you all?
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 05:07 AM

1. That engine casing really does protrude too far. That said I do not have a problem when riding.
2. A gear indicator would be good. I have got used to one now on my other bike. Must investigate.
3. Not a prob for me.

Enjoy your next 100 miles and those that follow. I must say that I am really enjoying riding this bike. My only gripe is the vibes coming in about 58mph in 6th gear.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 05:35 AM

3) It sounds to me as if either you are new to riding a motorbike and are trying to get into neutral when the bike stands still or the clutch is not engaging properly. It should not be difficult with this bike to find neutral.

Are you trying to get into neutral when you have already come to a stop? Get the bike into neutral when it is still moving (slowly).

Are you pulling in the clutch in ALL the way? If not try that.

Is the clutch adjusted properly? Is there too much play? If there is too much play, adjust it.
Psyense likes this.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 07:58 AM

try getting into neutral from second sometimes it's easier.
Psyense likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 08:12 AM

Agreed. The cover occasionally digs into my leg when I tuck. I wish it wasn't like that, but it's pretty easy to work around. I never understood the appeal of gear indicators. If I can't move the shifter anymore I'm in sixth. Or first. Okay maybe I do need one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 09:31 AM

Another thought: if the engine is off, try rolling the bike bit to and froe and then try to find neutral.. That help could find it.

Gear indicators are the best bike addition you thought you never wanted, IMHO.
Odin and Psyense like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 09:41 AM

1. That engine casing really does protrude too far. That said I do not have a problem when riding.
2. A gear indicator would be good. I have got used to one now on my other bike. Must investigate.
3. Not a prob for me.

Enjoy your next 100 miles and those that follow. I must say that I am really enjoying riding this bike. My only gripe is the vibes coming in about 58mph in 6th gear.[/QUOTE]
I have 600 miles on my new Honda Rebel 500. So far, I love it. The engine now wants to really go! I find neutral by shifting down from second as I'm slowing for a light, or stopping. The engine protusion doesn't bother me, but I really want some forward pegs for the highway. My new windshield is fantastic. It blocks the wind, is small, unobtrusive, strong, and really enhances the look of the bike. I paid $115.00 for it on Amazon.

I had the dealer check out the engine light that came on at around 300 miles. They found nothing. It has never come on again.

I just did a 100-mile loop on the Shenandoah Skyline Drive, and the bike handles like a champ. The seat is getting better: either my a** is breaking in, or the bike seat is.
Attached Images

Kenny G and Psyense like this.

Roberto3
Waynesboro, Virginia
2017 Rebel 500

Last edited by Roberto3; 08-07-2018 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Photo did not appear.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Indeed, Hondura I'm super new to the rider scene. =) The slight rolling makes it much easier to find N. Trying it out proved to be very successful! thank you for the tip!

-J
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 07:11 PM

1) When I first got the bike the annoyed me a lot. But eventually I stopped noticing it all together. My foot now is always placed just a little bit further out on instinct and it isn't really bothering me at all.

2) Gear indicator is something a lot of people here have talked about. Eventually you will learn what gear your in by the feel of the bike. But also on this bike you really don't want to be looking to shift up from 6th. It is just a cruising gear, you can stay in fifth a lot longer than you think and then switch to sixth when you don't really need anymore power.

3) Finding neutral on a brand new bike could be a little difficult for the first 100 miles. Trick is similar to what honduras said by rolling the bike. But really this should only be needed if you are not already in 1st gear. But as far as shifting from other gears the bike will probably need to be rolled since it isn't made to shift when not in motion.
Psyense likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 08:17 PM

1. I had the same issue... installed the forward controls kit from Depretto Moto and it's no longer an issue, plus it's a more comfortable riding position if you have longer legs.

2. I just try to mentally keep track of what gear I'm in, both on the way up and on the way down. Down is easier, especially if you downshift through all the gears and also use engine braking in each... you learn how the bike reacts as you release the clutch and based on how fast you're going.

3. Neutral is much easier going down from 2nd than it is going up from first.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page