Can not find a Rebel 500 ABS, should I get the non ABS? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Can not find a Rebel 500 ABS, should I get the non ABS?

Hi guys,

I'm a beginner rider (I did ride scooters before with max power of 250cc, and I can drive manual transmission cars) and I was looking around for a motorcycle until I found the Rebel,
I like it mainly because of smaller size compared to other bikes and the wide tires, so in my inexperienced opinion it make it easier to handle and more stable in the road. I tried other bikes but I didn't feel as confident as on the Rebel.

I definitely want the 500 not the 300 as I'm pretty sure I will need that extra power very quickly.

The problem now is that I couldn't find any ABS model available in the Boston, MA area, even as used.

I know the difference between the ABS and non ABS but I also never rode anyone of them, so I don't know if I should get the non ABS, look for another bike (which one?) or wait and may be the 2019 model will become available soon.

The sales person in the dealership says he can't order one for me and trying to convince me that there is no big difference between the 2 model and for the rebel the regular brakes are fine and enough; but he's a sales person after all.

What do you guys think?
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbouattour View Post
Hi guys,

I'm a beginner rider (I did ride scooters before with max power of 250cc, and I can drive manual transmission cars) and I was looking around for a motorcycle until I found the Rebel,
I like it mainly because of smaller size compared to other bikes and the wide tires, so in my inexperienced opinion it make it easier to handle and more stable in the road. I tried other bikes but I didn't feel as confident as on the Rebel.

I definitely want the 500 not the 300 as I'm pretty sure I will need that extra power very quickly.

The problem now is that I couldn't find any ABS model available in the Boston, MA area, even as used.

I know the difference between the ABS and non ABS but I also never rode anyone of them, so I don't know if I should get the non ABS, look for another bike (which one?) or wait and may be the 2019 model will become available soon.

The sales person in the dealership says he can't order one for me and trying to convince me that there is no big difference between the 2 model and for the rebel the regular brakes are fine and enough; but he's a sales person after all.

What do you guys think?

Dont let the sales rep BS you. You'll love the extra HP and weight. Is this a honda motorsports dealer? Most of those dealers can order you one and have it arrive in a couple of weeks...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:46 PM

My wife and I held out for the ABS model and were told by multiple dealerships they couldn't get it. We went a town away and got it with ABS by order. I've engaged ABS in hairy situations more than once and it saved my ass when it was raining in traffic. I'm not saying that non-ABS isn't worth it, but I may not be here if I had been on the other model. All of my other bikes lack ABS and I'm not worried about it. Anecdotal story to muddy the waters.

For a new rider, the rebel is pretty tough to beat. I've taught four riders how to ride on my machine after their MSF before they transitioned to theirs. It's an incredible machine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:57 PM

Garage
I too can vouch for the Rebel's comfort to a new rider and the ABS is a great peace of mind. I've had 2 very experienced riders on my Rebel and they both honestly love my bike even though they both ride WAY stronger bikes, one on a Yamaha MT07 and the other on a Harley Wide Glide. They both thoroughly enjoyed their outings on my little Rebel 500.

I think the question of ABS or Not-ABS is a question of "How much do you trust yourself?" The price difference is pretty negligible. And if you REALLY want the bike, there is a shop somewhere happy to sell you one. Just gotta find them.

-----------------------------
2018 Rebel 500 ABS rider
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 04:03 PM

The future of motorcycles is ABS- may as well learn now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
dollarbill181 likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 04:21 PM
SLI

I have no doubt you are or will be a competent rider.

ABS may or may not make a difference in an emergency situation, which could also be that fine line between stopping safely and getting hurt.

In my opinion, if you want a Rebel 500 with ABS, there are plenty out there and I would not settle for anything less.

PS, i have a 500 ABS and it's awesome!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 04:32 PM

Don't ever let a salesperson tell you what you should or shouldn't get.

As for availability, my wife's Rebel 500 ABS has been on order here on Long Island NY for a few weeks now. We were told August 17th is when they expect delivery. Plenty of non-ABS models around if you don't want ABS, but if you're a new rider or if you want ABS, then absolutely hold out for it. Don't compromise on what you want just to get something that's on the showroom floor.

In our search, I think there was one dealership within 150 miles that had one in stock - the one on Staten Island. Didn't feel like buying a bike out there, riding it through the city and back on to Long Island though. If you're willing to travel to NY for it, and have no problem with the 4-5 hour trip, you may want to give them a call.

Good luck!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 08:44 PM

Garage
I agree with the others. If ABS is important to you then hold out for it. I have never had it so I donít know what Iím missing. I plan on staying ignorant as long as possible.
Kenny G, longbeachgary and Odin like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 12:46 AM

Garage
You won't know if you need ABS or not, until the first time it activates in a situation, then you know you made the right choice.

Don't listen to the sales person, they're just trying to clear floor stock, either get them to order the bike you want, or walk away with your money.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 04:24 AM

ABS or non?

Hi there,

I think you schould take one with ABS any way. My last two bikes had no ABS, I live in the northern Germany and we have rainy days more often in the year. Breaking can be tricky especially the white traffic signs und lines painted on the road. So I had to drive very slowy und carefully during the rain - no fun at all, doing a long journey.

In the EU all new bikes must have a ABS, I think since 2016.

Last Saturday I made a Testride on a Rebel, During the ride I tested the ABS with powerful breaking, I think it is very helpfull during rain and panic breaking,

Today I am going at 14:00 to my dealer, my new Rebel is ready to drive. The next days I will post some pix.

Greetings from Hamburg

please excuse my english, there are many words and expressions from the internet translator
longbeachgary likes this.

my english is translated by g ....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page