North Carolina to California road trip, on a 500... - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Cool North Carolina to California road trip, on a 500...

An idea so dumb it just might work. A spark lit up in my brain last night telling me i need to do more with my life. I work as an audio visual tech making videos and promotions for a company in Asheville NC, I've also been riding BMX for about 13 years so my passion has always been bikes and cameras. Two months ago I decided I needed more bikes in my life so i went and got myself a motorcycle a Honda Rebel 500. I've been loving it so much everything about it is amazing. Now i know this is a really dumb idea as it's not the type of bike someone would normally cross the country on, but being that my job is making videos i could see some really amazing youtube series coming from this, maybe even a really big one that a lot of people would watch. Imagine scrolling through youtube and seeing a title of a video "IDIOT CROSS'S COUNTRY ON HONDA REBEL 500" would you not click the link? haha.

I'm not doing it for anyone else but myself but it would be nice if i could make some money off the journey via youtube and a sweet video. I'm sure I'll love it for about 3 days then hate my life, but the idea in my head seems amazing. being that its a Honda Rebel it would be fairly easy to map a route based on dealers or repair shops, I know i won't make it without some problems but ill upgrade my AAA service for when logs hit the fan. But I imagine people of the Internets will eat this up and it will be a journey ill personally never forget. I would only ride the one way also then fly back and ship my bike back, based on what I've seen online shipping should be around $500-$700 which I'm more than ok with.
I'm starting to save up money right now and the plan is to do the journey next summer/early fall sometime no specific dates in mind yet but supposedly the driest month is October, may be really cold in some states though.

just ordered a Corbin seat.... lets hope it helps and i can get it nice and broke in before the trip haha.

I'm pretty much going to bring an extra can of gas, two or three battery chargers for my phone, an ultra light 1 person tent and sleeping bag, two pairs on clothes (i know i'm going to smell really bad) my toothbrush, and as much water and snacks as possible.

This is just the start of my plan really, figured I'd let you guys in on the planning. If you had any recommendations by all means let me know. I'm really going to do this, It's a really dumb idea but I'm really going to do this....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mottie boi.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	24853  

Last edited by flyinbrianbmx; 07-26-2018 at 08:45 AM.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 09:21 AM

Want a bmx rack with provisions for a small jerry can and tent holder? I'll make it for you and I can even document the fabrication on video.
flyinbrianbmx likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:12 PM

Love it! I am a recent first time motorcycle owner and have been thinking of doing a long trip.

One trick is to purchase a Planet Fitness membership ($20/month) and shower there. I also saw a dude who took his Harley for an oil change and the shop actually had a washer/dryer in the back. He was able to wash his clothes while they worked on his bike.

Godspeed, my friend!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Do it !

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianRebel View Post
Want a bmx rack with provisions for a small jerry can and tent holder? I'll make it for you and I can even document the fabrication on video.
lets do it just send you a pm
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:22 PM

Garage
yeah why not? all you need is time and the willingness to do it. saddlebags or top case would help, then you wouldn't need so much strapped down, or hanging in a backpack on your shoulders the whole way. i plan on doing a several state trip late summer, early fall.. nothing like a cross country venture though. i still have to make it round trip. sure i'll take pix, mention that more as it gets closer.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 04:59 AM

Yes, I encourage you to do it. Nothing quite like a cross country road trip.

Benggolf
2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
2016 Can-Am Spyder F3T
2016 Indian Scout
2014 Can-Am Spyder RTL
2014 Honda 300 Forza
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 03:27 PM

I think the Rebel 500 would be an ideal bike for a cross-country trip. It's light, agile, economical, and has plenty of power for the mountains. Good luck!

Roberto3
Waynesboro, Virginia
2017 Rebel 500
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 03:44 PM

Garage
I'm actually thinking about doing this next summer from Virginia. I'd do it this year but I just don't have the time or money. Keep a video blog! I think we'd all be interested on how it goes!

2018 Honda Rebel 500
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 01:29 PM

Would love to hear if this ever went down. I'm moving from Sacramento to VA and will be making this trek. I'm going to keep it easy and limit 3-400 miles/day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page