Preventing rear tire locking up. - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Preventing rear tire locking up.

Came across a video of a rear tire locking up while going fast speeds and it got me thinking about what exactly would cause this. What would be the reasoning for this and how does one prevent this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dMqpjuTV04A
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
that looks to me like the front tire had the problem - maybe a blow out? it's hard to tell what happened

proper riding safety and maintenance is the key to avoiding this type of crash

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yeah that was the front tire locking up by the looks of it, not the back tire.
Not sure what caused it thou..

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:52 AM

Garage
Doesn’t look like a wheel lock up but like 77 said looks like a blowout.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I had a rear wheel lock once, oil light came on then I forgot to stop at the gas stn for a litre of engine oil
I managed somehow to sling it round a corner @ 50mph without coming off. Miracle! & dumb asssss

Twizz
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 03:12 PM

The rider locked up his own brakes because of how fast he was going and the vehicle in front of him had moved over from the center lane.

Notice he's still gaining on that vehicle while sliding (without his bike) down the highway?

100% driver error. Going way too fast, and applying way too much brake.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CueBaller View Post
The rider locked up his own brakes because of how fast he was going and the vehicle in front of him had moved over from the center lane.

Notice he's still gaining on that vehicle while sliding (without his bike) down the highway?

100% driver error. Going way too fast, and applying way too much brake.

I totally agree with you assessment. Too bad there isn't a follow up to this video or some way to know after it was all done exactly what the deal was. Scares me to death but then again I don't EVER ride over the speed limit and I am not a daredevil. Going 120mph is just asking for trouble and especially with other drivers nearby. WOW! Hope he survived!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
I totally agree with you assessment. Too bad there isn't a follow up to this video or some way to know after it was all done exactly what the deal was. Scares me to death but then again I don't EVER ride over the speed limit and I am not a daredevil. Going 120mph is just asking for trouble and especially with other drivers nearby. WOW! Hope he survived!
It is hard to tell from the video, but likely ABS brakes would have prevented this.
01-7700 and Lyoko like this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
It is hard to tell from the video, but likely ABS brakes would have prevented this.
most likely

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 05:30 PM

The dude was doing 120MPH on public roads, without any gear. It was only a matter of time before this happened.

Here's the background story:

Quote:
Crazy motorcycle crash at an approximate 120 miles per hour on a public road with the featured squid rider not wearing any motorcycle gear aside from a full-face helmet. The rider was extremely lucky to only sustain a fractured collarbone and hip. No life-threatening injuries to the rider.

Dario (crashed rider) locked his front wheel as he was going stupidly fast and approaching a car that had move onto the left lane in which he was riding. He panicked and grab a choke full of the front brake, locking the wheel. A fishtail wobble ensued (he did not release the front brake) and he went down, sustaining said fractured collarbone and a fractured hip. He also had extensive road rash in both legs and arms which are still requiring skin grafts.

He is alive and recovering, and mentions that he has learned his lesson. He acknowledged that he was riding irresponsibly and knew it was only a matter of time before he crashed doing his high speed racing on public roads. Racing at high speeds on roads and highways is common in this area and many get killed regularly. It's very common for a rider to egg another rider to race each other with no regards for the safety of other motorists.

The use of motorcycle gear is, of course, negligible. The excuse is that motorcycle gear is expensive, which is a crap excuse anyway. Good motorcycle gear would have ameliorated Dario’s injuries substantially, including road rash and lifelong scarring that he has to live with.

In high-speed motorcycle crashes on public roads (like this one), so long as a rider does NOT hit anything that is not moving and which forces the rider to stop instantly, the rider will come out alive of the crash and will thus fare a lot better wearing gear than without. But then, squid racing should be done on the track (if at all) and not on public roads.

We wish Dario a speedy recovery.

Please note that Dario is NOT part of our staff. We are publishing this video of ours for the advancement of rider education and to showcase what can go (easily) wrong when riding irresponsibly. At our website, we emphasize the use of motorcycle gear and proactive riding so as to enjoy a lifelong riding career.

Feel free to check out our website and to subscribe to our channel.
https://www.mcgearhub.com/

Cheers to all.

Motorcycle Gear Hub | All Rights Reserved.
Lyoko likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page