Spaan Sissy Bar Review - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 7Likes
  • 7 Post By shortyg83

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Spaan Sissy Bar Review

So I was unsure if I want to get a sissy bar or rear rack for my Rebel 500 because I believe a lot of the ones I have seen just don't seem to look good on the Rebel.
The bike is small and some of the sissy bars just looked to big and kind of ruined the appeal of the bike for me. I thought about getting the one sissybar on ebay that really is only a tiny backrest that barely passes the passenger seat height, but decided it would likely be unusable.

So in the sissybar thread I saw a user had ordered one of these and I liked the way it looked, so after doing some research on it I ordered it.

Pros:
Choices- The Spaan Bar has multiple options available. Two different heights, with or without rear rack. And there are actually even two different rear racks to choose from.
Not Bulky- The mounting brackets are flat. I really prefer this over the tube steel design of some of the other sissy bars.
Size- Having the option of the lower backrest made me feel like it would look better on the bike for my taste. And not so low that it would be unusable.
Fit- The design of the seat with rear rack is perfect for the Rebel. The rack extends over the rear "Brick" And actually makes the brick look a lot better on the bike. I didn't need to do anything special to install it. It fit perfectly.

Cons:
Bolts-If you are trying to get something to match the bike the bolts will kind of kill it. I bought the all black set up, but the bolts are still stainless steel. So I went out and bought new replacement bolts for it to keep it all black. I am not sure why they wouldn't include matching bolts.
Seat pad- The rear seat bad is ok. But it is quite underwhelming when you consider this is one of the more expensive backrests for the bike. The cushion inside doesn't seem to be very evenly installed and makes the cushion look kind of bumpy. Could have done a better job on this.
Dealers/Price- There are not many dealers for this sissy bar. And the company who makes it is a bit slow to respond. The only good part about this, the dealer I ordered from (europcustom) was easy to deal with and shipped fast.

Overall I am very happy with this rear setup. It was easy to install and looks very good in my opinion. I may try to find someone to remake the backrest pad so that it matches my seat. Shipping time was only 1 week to the USA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spaan.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	24673   Click image for larger version

Name:	spaan2.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	24675  
slolane, Twizzian, Lyoko and 4 others like this.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:22 PM

Garage
fantastic review and pictures, it looks fab!

If it doesn't put a smile on your face, you're on the wrong bike!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 02:49 PM

I'm curious what you think of the HRP seat. The only thing I can find on it is Kenny G's post and he returned his before mounting. I want something like a banana seat and this is the closest I've seen, but not if it isn't comfortable.

Also, it looks like that back rest would be far away from the stock passenger seat- am I off there?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 02:56 PM

Garage
I'm with you about not liking most of the sissy bars I've seen on the Rebel but your's looks more like a usable passenger back rest and it looks great.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:39 AM

I’m in Thailand and this is my only transportation so I got this sissy bar to keep my wife from sliding off haha and a small rack from Zeed parts here in Thailand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8AF81D5-2A0F-4B84-B9CD-F67F8958C6F4_1534426711133.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	25493   Click image for larger version

Name:	39C8D486-428E-4DDE-BBC2-7C68761063CE_1534426734648.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	25495  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanfara View Post
I'm curious what you think of the HRP seat. The only thing I can find on it is Kenny G's post and he returned his before mounting. I want something like a banana seat and this is the closest I've seen, but not if it isn't comfortable.

Also, it looks like that back rest would be far away from the stock passenger seat- am I off there?

First off I got this from ZeedParts not HRP. And it is actually not the same seat Kenny G had ordered from HRP.
The seat he ordered would be pretty similar to this though.

So with that in mind here is the deal. These seats are not super high quality. They are not real leather, they are not perfectly designed, and the foam in them is not high end. I want to get that all out of the way first. That being said, if you understand what you are buying then I think they are great seats. Mine is no softer than the stock seat for the main rider, but the passenger seat is more comfortable than the factory passenger seat. The look of the seat is great, and it looks to be built relatively well considering the low price these seats are. The one part that isn't great is the way they mount. It is not perfect, and when you look at the way it mounts compared to the stock seat you would probably be a little hesitant. But the fact is it still works perfectly fine. I love the seat so far. If it does happen to not hold up I will probably just get it reupholstered and use the base from it.

But as far as comfort goes. Don't expect much. The seat is actually a bit harder than the stock seat, but the shape of it is better.

And the sissy bar in the pictures may look like it is far away from the stock passenger seat, but when a passenger is actually sitting on the bike it seems like the distance is perfect.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 10:36 AM

That's really great to know. My wife rides with me so as much as I would love the Corbin, it is a no go. Does Zeed ship to the US?

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 10:54 AM

I answered my own question there with Zeed, but I cannot find the Spaan backrest- where did you order from?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page