Size matters? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By kmfpo
  • 2 Post By Odin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Size matters?

Hi all.

Just joined and i'm really enjoying reading through threads and getting a better understanding of this super machine.

I intend to purchase one and i have set aside next weekend to go to a stealer (dealer) for a chat.

However...before i get too far ahead of myself, there is a lingering question of my size versus seat height, i know and accept it's low but at what physical human height does this become too much of a problem? I have a BMW R1200 Cruiser which has a low seat height but thats a big bike.

Obviously, my trip to the dealer will ultimately answer this question but until then, thoughts from the taller members of the community woulld be appreciated.

I'm 5' 11" tall...

Thank you
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 09:51 AM

Garage
Mence,

Welcome to The Forum
Ride Safe & Keep The Shiny Side Up

I am 6' tall with about a 31" inseam and the bike was entirely too low for me. I added an additional 3 inches of foam and a new cover to my seat and now the bike fits me and it is a pleasure to ride. You will certainly hear different opinions on the subjective characteristics of the new Rebel. I have had mine for about a year and 6500 miles and I am going to keep it for a while. When I get another bike it is going to have a seat height of not less than 30 inches. Probably be a Harley or Triumph next time around...

Kenny G
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 11:19 PM

I am 6' tall 32" inseam and I find the stock bike to be alright short term but my legs do cramp after a while. I am looking to install the pedal extender from De Pretto Moto as I've heard that has helped people a lot. It's fun for sure, but I can't imagine a long ride (>1hr) without stretching my legs. Wish the seat were taller than 27.1" I believe.
Kenny G likes this.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Appreciate the input guys.

Well, got an unexpected bit of free time this morning so popped off to a dealer who had three in the showroom.

Very decent guy, had a demonstrator which i took out for a spin...and that's when the truth hit.

Loved the engine characteristics, enough perfomance for me, brakes were ok, equipment ok what little there is of it, loved the looks and the character of it...

...just couldn't deal with the riding position.

I have been convincing myself that whatever it was like, i would be fine but it isn't so, i felt very cramped and not particularly in control, i felt more like i was sitting under rather than on it and knowing the journeys it would typically be used on, i don't feel it's right cor me.

No doubt it's a super little tool and probably a hoot to ride, just not for me.

Gutted
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 08:46 AM

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mence Wilkinson View Post
Appreciate the input guys.

Well, got an unexpected bit of free time this morning so popped off to a dealer who had three in the showroom.

Very decent guy, had a demonstrator which i took out for a spin...and that's when the truth hit.

Loved the engine characteristics, enough perfomance for me, brakes were ok, equipment ok what little there is of it, loved the looks and the character of it...

...just couldn't deal with the riding position.

I have been convincing myself that whatever it was like, i would be fine but it isn't so, i felt very cramped and not particularly in control, i felt more like i was sitting under rather than on it and knowing the journeys it would typically be used on, i don't feel it's right cor me.

No doubt it's a super little tool and probably a hoot to ride, just not for me.

Gutted
Mence,

You may want to test ride a Kawasaki Vulcan or an Indian Scout. The Vulcan has movable pegs for changing riding position.....

Good Luck,

Kenny G
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 09:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mence Wilkinson View Post
i felt more like i was sitting under rather than on it and knowing the journeys it would typically be used on, i don't feel it's right for me.
Gutted
this is one of things I like about it. I feel like i'm sitting INSIDE the bike instead of hovering over top of it like I have in the past on various sport bikes.
but to each their own. hope you find something out there that suits you.
dollarbill181 and fujirio like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 01:02 PM

I'd have to agree that the Vulcan S is very much worth a look. Similar cost and idea. Very comfortable and exciting ride.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page