300 vs 500 - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

300 vs 500

So I would rather get a 300 just because it is cheaper and has better MPG (small fuel tank on the 500 is a bummer).

One important thing to me is going on the highway. I honestly don't need anything that can do above 75 for general use so I think the 300 should be able to handle that. I know the 300 would be a lot more strained at 70 than the 500. My question would be does the 300 use more fuel than the 500 at 70MPH? At that point I would just get the 500.
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 12:47 PM

I think they're pretty comparable.
I ride my 300 daily on the expressway, 25 miles each way.
I'm averaging about 70-75 mpg cruising between 70-80mph.

If money is an issue, you'll be fine with the 300. If you have money to spare go with the 500 for extra bit of power.
Either will serve your purpose.

2017 Honda Rebel 300 ABS
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Common misunderstand among people, thinking that bigger engine automatically means worse mpg.
May hold true if it's a v8, but in general it mainly depends on what you're using the engine for.
So the 500 engine will perform with less rpm and less strain at 70 mph than the 300.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500

Last edited by Lyoko; 06-27-2018 at 02:33 PM.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 01:27 PM

+1 for 500, it's not that much more (to some it is i understand) and you'll want some pep when you're about to get creamed corn by a semi, regardless though its your decision and you're getting better mpg than any car. good luck deciding!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 02:34 PM

There are a ton of reasons to get a 500 and really only one reason to get the 300.(That being it is cheaper)

MPG should likely be within 5 mpg of each other.
While the 500 weighs 40lbs more, the bike is balanced so well you really would not see a difference.
The 500 is a very smooth engine. While both the 300 and 500 have had some users complain about vibration, there is a big difference. The 300 would have a lot more vibration being a single cylinder.
Braking: While they both have the same braking system, a lot of the review sites who have actually tested both the 300 and the 500 said the 500 has better stopping power. This is likely due to the weight of the 500 being better suited for the bikes braking system.
Power: First off neither bike is some crazy power house. But the 500 does have considerably better power than the 300. While you can easily ride the 300 on the highway the power you have at those higher speeds is not on par with the 500. And depending on your weight and if you plan on having a passenger this may cause some issues for you.

In the end, both bikes are great. But it just seems less likely you will have doubted your choice if you go with the 500. And a lot of people seem to get bored with some bikes, the 500 seems like a better choice long term.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 03:01 PM

Garage
I totally love my 300 and for the riding I do, I don't regret it at all but highway is not that comfortable on the hands with how much vibration comes through the bars at that speed. Most of the highway riding I do is 25 minutes or less and unless my hands are weirdly sensitive, that's all they can really take before my right hand starts getting tingly and numbing.

I've found the vibrations don't really get super noticeable until about 62mph so I usually just cruise right around 60 for the sake of comfort. Especially since you say you want to be up to 75, I would recommend saving the extra bit and going with the 500.

Like others have said, either will do the job, but that's my 2 cents.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
There are a ton of reasons to get a 500 and really only one reason to get the 300.(That being it is cheaper)

MPG should likely be within 5 mpg of each other.
While the 500 weighs 40lbs more, the bike is balanced so well you really would not see a difference.
The 500 is a very smooth engine. While both the 300 and 500 have had some users complain about vibration, there is a big difference. The 300 would have a lot more vibration being a single cylinder.
Braking: While they both have the same braking system, a lot of the review sites who have actually tested both the 300 and the 500 said the 500 has better stopping power. This is likely due to the weight of the 500 being better suited for the bikes braking system.
Power: First off neither bike is some crazy power house. But the 500 does have considerably better power than the 300. While you can easily ride the 300 on the highway the power you have at those higher speeds is not on par with the 500. And depending on your weight and if you plan on having a passenger this may cause some issues for you.

In the end, both bikes are great. But it just seems less likely you will have doubted your choice if you go with the 500. And a lot of people seem to get bored with some bikes, the 500 seems like a better choice long term.

I think ease of maintenance is another fine reason to buy the 300. I could have easily purchased the 500 but after riding both and taking time to have a real close look at all the components of each, honestly I would not have bought the 500 if it had been LESS money. When it comes time to do any maintenance or repair, I am going to love all the room around the single to get in there.
I think the 300 has plenty of power for what it is (and I have owned many bikes with 4-5 times the hp), my wife and I are 290 lbs combined and it is enough.
People talk about vibration with the single but this is one of the smoothest bikes at 70 mph I have ever owned.
Maybe I am just crazy but I do see a long term benefit in one of everything vs two of everything, for a simple lightweight cruiser.

Also, if you have a shorter inseam, the 500 clutch cover really gets in the way with regards to right foot and leg placement. I found it extremely annoying.
Kenny G and Dave like this.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodjr View Post
I think ease of maintenance is another fine reason to buy the 300. I could have easily purchased the 500 but after riding both and taking time to have a real close look at all the components of each, honestly I would not have bought the 500 if it had been LESS money. When it comes time to do any maintenance or repair, I am going to love all the room around the single to get in there.
I think the 300 has plenty of power for what it is (and I have owned many bikes with 4-5 times the hp), my wife and I are 290 lbs combined and it is enough.
People talk about vibration with the single but this is one of the smoothest bikes at 70 mph I have ever owned.
Maybe I am just crazy but I do see a long term benefit in one of everything vs two of everything, for a simple lightweight cruiser.

Also, if you have a shorter inseam, the 500 clutch cover really gets in the way with regards to right foot and leg placement. I found it extremely annoying.
I hate to even ask, but what other bikes have you owned if it is the smoothest bike at 70mph you have ever owned? I own the 500 but I have driven a coworkers 300 several times and outside of my fathers old Suzuki Savage it has the most vibration out of any bike I have ridden. Not saying it is bad enough to make the bike not rideable, but it is far far far from the smoothest bike.
I also don't see any part of the 500 where the maintenance looks very difficult.

Last edited by shortyg83; 06-27-2018 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Adding information
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 04:58 PM

have owned, R6, ZX7, Buell S-1, multiple Harley big twins and sportsters, a Vrod, two Suzuki s40's, Cb360, kz200, tu250x, Kawasaki 454 ltd, z125 pro, Ducati 620 Monster and a bunch of cb125,175 and 350-4's. The R6 was smooth but with all your weight on your hands, what vibration there was, soaked right in.
Two smoothest at speed were the Buell and my Rebel, almost electric feeling.

I just like simple things, bit of a minimalist I suppose, and for example a valve adjustment would not even require removing the tank. four valves to adjust vs eight.
Kenny G, dollarbill181 and Dave like this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodjr View Post
have owned, R6, ZX7, Buell S-1, multiple Harley big twins and sportsters, a Vrod, two Suzuki s40's, Cb360, kz200, tu250x, Kawasaki 454 ltd, z125 pro, Ducati 620 Monster and a bunch of cb125,175 and 350-4's. The R6 was smooth but with all your weight on your hands, what vibration there was, soaked right in.
Two smoothest at speed were the Buell and my Rebel, almost electric feeling.

I just like simple things, bit of a minimalist I suppose, and for example a valve adjustment would not even require removing the tank. four valves to adjust vs eight.
There is definatly nothing wrong with the 300 it is a great bike. And being single cylinder would make it easy to work on.
01-7700 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page