Bike issues - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lyoko

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Bike issues

New member here, but I've had the 500 for a year. Love the bike, it's the perfect size for zipping around the San Francisco Bay Area.
Wanted to ask if anyone else has had any issues with the headlamp. Like I said I've had the bike 12 months but I'm already on my third bulb. Wondering if it might be a wiring issue, and if anyone else had experienced it too.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 01:50 PM

Garage
Welcome, I donít think that any of the bulbs are lasting what you would expect. Not sure what the issue is.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 01:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrack View Post
New member here, but I've had the 500 for a year. Love the bike, it's the perfect size for zipping around the San Francisco Bay Area.
Wanted to ask if anyone else has had any issues with the headlamp. Like I said I've had the bike 12 months but I'm already on my third bulb. Wondering if it might be a wiring issue, and if anyone else had experienced it too.
I had my headlamp replaced shortly after getting mine. The low beam went out on me so I called the dealer and it was covered under warranty. Several others have experienced similar issues. Did you just replace the bulbs yourself? Was both High and Low beam toasted? Yow have a 1 year factory warranty on the bike but it sounds as if you may be over that period. Honda has recognised there was a headlight issue and even called me after mine was serviced saying they had had an unusual number of claims regarding the light and were investigating the potential causes.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 02:31 PM

Garage
As Gary mentioned I have also replaced two separate turn signals and the brake/tail. I didn't report these other bulb issues to Honda but it is very premature for the failures
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showmeguy66 View Post
As Gary mentioned I have also replaced two separate turn signals and the brake/tail. I didn't report these other bulb issues to Honda but it is very premature for the failures
Sounds to me like there is some fluctuation of power/voltage going through the wires, and frying bulbs prematurely.
Might be a fault in the voltage regulator for the bike?
Showmeguy66 likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 04:38 PM

Garage
Mine went out the day I rode it home from the dealership. I had to ride it back the next day and they replaced it with apologies. But I recently replaced it with LED anyways because it's so much brighter and I feel safer zipping around SF at night!

Signature goes here.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Initially I just thought it was a cheap factory bulb and it just took a hard bounce. In January, about seven months into riding it, I was sitting behind another vehicle and noticed there was no reflection from the beam in the cars paint. I flicked it to the high beam, it burned for a moment then it went out for good. So I ordered a new Phillips one and replaced it myself. The new Phillips one burned out in about 3 or so months. I looked at the bulb itself and the filament was shot. Bought another bulb and have been waiting for it to go out again, nothing so far.

My factory warranty ran out Friday. Luckily I got the extended warranty though, as the front fork seals already need to be replaced and they are covered. If I burn out another bulb I'll discuss it with the dealer. Was just wondering if I was an isolated case. The bulb is a pretty easy replace, having done it twice now, I just don't want it to die on me halfway to work at 10pm.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 07:26 PM

Garage
I haven't yet- but my dealer specifically said "if the bulb goes out on you, we'll replace it under warranty", like they already knew it was an issue
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 03:13 AM

One faulty lamp, its ok, 2 in a row makes me think that you may have some issue.. Its extrange..
I would recomend you to have your voltage checked, it could be too high.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page